Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:31 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a PVC fence installed?

I am looking to have it done on my property any thoughts on:

Selecting a vendor in Nassau County

Asking neighbors to "contribute" or share the cost?

Waiting until the fall or early winter to get a better price?

Any issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,581 times
I have had a PVC fence installed. I was looking to do it myself such as I did with my wood stockade fence but for some reason if you buy the PVC fence yourself it is not much cheaper than having it put up by one of the fence places.

A lot of homes with PVC fencing allow the installer to put a small sign with the installers name on it so if you see some fences in your travels that you think look good try to look to see if there is a sign with the name and phone number and give them a call and start pricing. I called a bunch of different places when I had mine done and they were all very close in price. I think they have it worked out so that they all get just about the same amount of money.

The only thing I can tell you is to ask whatever places you are calling how they install any gates. The place that did mine poured concrete completely through the posts that the gates connect to. This is something you should ensure that they do.

The PVC fence is excellent. It is worth the higher cost since all you have to do is hose it down when it gets dirty. The higher cost is also worth it since you do not have to stain or paint it and it does not rot.

I had mine installed in the later part of the fall. I do not think it is any cheaper depending on the season. I do know that they may take a few weeks to be able to put it up in the summer though. I had mine installed about a week after contacting the place to have it done. He told me that in the spring and summer you may have to wait a few weeks before they can come because they get a lot more work to do. This was before the economy got bad so there is a chance that this is no longer an issue.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
We had ours installed in the fall and it wasn't any cheaper. It has been worth it....we've had it 8 years and it still looks brand new.

I didn't ask any neighbors to contribute, none of them had kids or dogs and wouldn't have anyway....

Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM

I also would not ask neighbors to contribute. It is best to not get others involved. This is especially true if something happens to the fence that needs to be fixed. Then there will be a battle over who should pay for it or if the bill should be split and nobody really needs the aggravation.

The neighbor behind me had a fence up before I put mine up. He told me I can build my fence up to his and use his fence as the border between both yards if I was willing to pay half of his entire property's fence! I said "no thanks" and now there is a small gap between both fences where there is enough room to weed whack but neither one of us does it. It does not bother me since I can't see it through my stockade fence. He, on the other hand has a chain link fence and has to see it growing through his fence all of the time.

I currently only have PVC fence in the front since my land is 190 X 270. The fence place quoted me a price of nearly $11,000 to do the entire fence so I am currently keeping the wooden stockade on the sides and in the back.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM

510 posts, read 2,205,488 times
We had ours installed in the spring and we saved $1000 - I live on a 60 x 100 property but it is larger than that because I live on a curve and my back yard is irregular. Anyway, I got the front done in a scallop design with 1 gate. 1 side and 1 rear - They were done in the complete privacy fence 6 feet and I split one side of privacy with my neighbor. So instead of $7500 - It cost me $6500 total.

We used Precision Fence in Bohemia - They were excellent. Their estimate was above the rest buy you pay for what you get.

Scott

Old 07-13-2009, 03:44 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quality is a huge issue here. Buy the higher quality fence, it's more money, but well worth it in the long run, trust me. Go with the bigger companies.
However, be sure that you truly get what you pay for, as some companies will charge you for the good stuff, and install the bad.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,222 times
Pay for the better fence and it doesn't do it's job.....

pvc is all looks, nothing for keeping in or out....

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
PVC doesn't keep things in or out? Praytell...

Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
I'm not a big fan of PVC myself.
I think it looks great when new.
Doesn't look so great if neglected.
Very prone to moss/mildew etc, especially North facing sides.
Mostly white, it looks hideous once it gets dirty and grimey.
It is 100% not "maintenance free".
The only chore you get off the hook on is painting it.
Yes, it does warp. Yes, the panels do separate for various reasons.
Does not like heavy wind.
Kids love to run through it, and, tag it up with graffitti.
Can be quite blinding in extreme sunlight, certain yards obviously.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm not a big fan of PVC myself.
I think it looks great when new.
Doesn't look so great if neglected.
Very prone to moss/mildew etc, especially North facing sides.
Mostly white, it looks hideous once it gets dirty and grimey.
It is 100% not "maintenance free".
The only chore you get off the hook on is painting it.
Yes, it does warp. Yes, the panels do separate for various reasons.
Does not like heavy wind.
Kids love to run through it, and, tag it up with graffitti.
Can be quite blinding in extreme sunlight, certain yards obviously.
I have my PVC fence for a few years now and have no problems. I do not consider having to hose it down occasionally as "maintenance". My fence is in direct sunlight constantly and has not warped at all. The panels have not separated at all either. I would think separating panels would have more to do with a poor installation.

If the fence does get moss or mildew you simply have to wash it off with soap and a hose. Try that method with a wooden fence. It will not work.

I am not sure what you mean as far as kids running through the fence. I have a six foot PVC fence and my kids can't run through it. They are children and they have banged into it but nothing has ever happened to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island