Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM

467 posts, read 712,948 times

Advertisements

I'm finding it odd that I see so many long islanders moving to north carolina on this very website alone. I've seen about 20 people in the last 30 minutes reminiscing about Long Island and they live in the triangle area. It's pretty crazy what money does to you. North Carolina is a cheaper, lesser lifestyle in my opinion. I find it boring here as opposed to New York though. Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing? Crazy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 PM

22,181 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
I'm finding it odd that I see so many long islanders moving to north carolina on this very website alone. I've seen about 20 people in the last 30 minutes reminiscing about Long Island and they live in the triangle area. It's pretty crazy what money does to you. North Carolina is a cheaper, lesser lifestyle in my opinion. I find it boring here as opposed to New York though. Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing? Crazy stuff.
My parents just moved down there, actually SC, but literally 1/2 mile over the border.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM

yeah it seemed like a pretty popular destination when we moved to NC.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:56 AM

264 posts, read 877,987 times
I lived in Raleigh for a year..but Long Island is where I belong.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 AM

25 posts, read 53,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
TarheelsMatt I hear the educational system there really sucks. Any truth to that and if so what do you think are the reasons. What would you say are the best towns in NC to move to?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,108 times
Default ethnicity and culture more important than race

North Carolina has a completely foreign culture to Long Island natives. The people are a different ethnicity, different accent, different religion even different food. It is no wonder that transplanted fleeing Long Islanders feel depressed and empty in foreign North Carolina.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:59 AM

264 posts, read 877,987 times
There aren't many but here are some good places.
Greensboro, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Newport, Cary, Hendersonville, Gastonia, Mount Airy, Salisbury
I'd recommend Chapel Hill in terms of area. It's really nice.
I admittedly didn't like North Carolina much when I lived there.
They don't know how to make bagels. Their only decent pizza is Domino's..
The social attitude in the South is a little different.
I would rather be around people I know who I can trust than people who smile and act all friendly with me but secretly want to stab me in the back..
My fiance and I are both Long Island natives- so we agreed early on to move up north again.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
There aren't many but here are some good places.
Greensboro, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Newport, Cary, Hendersonville, Gastonia, Mount Airy, Salisbury
I'd recommend Chapel Hill in terms of area. It's really nice.
I admittedly didn't like North Carolina much when I lived there.
They don't know how to make bagels. Their only decent pizza is Domino's..
The social attitude in the South is a little different.
I would rather be around people I know who I can trust than people who smile and act all friendly with me but secretly want to stab me in the back..
My fiance and I are both Long Island natives- so we agreed early on to move up north again.
I'm assuming your Jewish. The bagel thing gave you away lol. So are you saying they are not too accepting of Jews down there?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidaman View Post
I'm assuming your Jewish. The bagel thing gave you away lol. So are you saying they are not too accepting of Jews down there?
LoL, The bagels do in fact SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Where I live (Chapel Hill), we have a very accepting jewish community. Many of my friends go to a reform temple and get their community service hours, and everything like that. I have over 30 jewish friends (Not a lot compared to Long Island especially Hewlett where I used to reside, lol), but everything CoolaTroopa said is pretty much true. I don't plan on living here after I finish high school, if that's what your asking. Oh, and for the person who asked about the school systems. The School Systems vary from excellent, to dismal. In Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Cary, the schools are top notch, but once you leave that area of central NC, your child is probably going to a private school, unless you don't wanna pay or can tolerate your child going to a public school. I mean Durham Schools are decent if you live in southwest durham or southeast durham or just South...Durham. LoL. I can't say that I like Chapel Hill, but i'd rather be in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, than HickTown, North Carolina. It's very diverse, but it still has a decent feel. The college campuses around here, rule the area. It is very diverse as opposed to long island. I'd say my school is 60% white 10-15% black, 10-15% mexican, 20% Asian, the rest other.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Can anyone post some info and links on some of the best subdivisions in N. Carolina. I'm getting pretty fed up with the high taxes on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island