Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM

264 posts, read 877,987 times

Advertisements

Compared to public schools on Long Island, how does this school do?
I feel confident in saying it's better than Walt Whitman.
Is it better than Syosset or Jericho?
I almost went here but my family decided it would be better for me to skip a grade via public school.
Is it worth the extra money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
I am considering sending my children to any high school that is parochial. The reason ; networking with children that 100% go to college, the fact that it looks wonderful on a resume.

Knowing a few children that went there, they are very good, nice kids who never got in trouble, did well.

Knowing a few parents that sent their children there, it was the best thing they ever did.

But then again, I live in a not so great school district. So I cannot compare it to the ones you mentioned.

d

Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 AM

270 posts, read 969,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am considering sending my children to any high school that is parochial. The reason ; networking with children that 100% go to college, the fact that it looks wonderful on a resume.
I've never seen someone's high school listed on their resume - is this a new practice? As a hiring manager myself, I have to admit that I would pay little to no attention to someone's high school. I am in a technical field, so perhaps things are different.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
I've never seen someone's high school listed on their resume - is this a new practice? As a hiring manager myself, I have to admit that I would pay little to no attention to someone's high school. I am in a technical field, so perhaps things are different.
I agree. This is where people always go off the rails when it comes to LI schools - I have never met anyone who listed where they went to HS on a resume. If I was looking at resumes and saw that someone did I would find it odd.

To the OP, private HS and publlic HS can often be like comparing apples and oranges since private can take whomever they wish, while public must take everyone who lives in the district. IMHO it's not really a fair comparison. If we were to stay on LI, we'd be doing Catholic HS but not just for academic reasons.

I don't think anyone can decide for anyone else what a good use of their money is, so it's really subjective if it's worth the money or not. I know people who would say "hell, no" no matter where they live and others would never consider anything but private HS.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
I'd say St. Anthony's is comparable to the top school districts on LI...meaning if you lived in Jericho or Syosset, I wouldn't really see the point in sending your child there unless you were really gung ho about the Catholic education part of it (which isn't really all that significant IMO) or perhaps if you wanted your child to go there for athletics.

If there's a difference between St. Anthony's (and some of the other top catholic schools) compared to public schools, it's that most of the "bad element" is weeded out by the middle of sophomore year. They simply do not screw around when it comes to discipline. I knew a kid who was kicked out halfway through his senior year.

This definitely keeps most of the kids in line and fosters an environment that's focused on learning and is VERY competitive. Again, there are public school districts that achieve this among its top students...but maybe not when it comes to the "average" students.

Bottom line: if you live in an average or worse district...it might be a good idea to send your kid there. Then again, a truly talented and focused student will likely do well in just about any school.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I'd say St. Anthony's is comparable to the top school districts on LI...meaning if you lived in Jericho or Syosset, I wouldn't really see the point in sending your child there unless you were really gung ho about the Catholic education part of it (which isn't really all that significant IMO) or perhaps if you wanted your child to go there for athletics.

If there's a difference between St. Anthony's (and some of the other top catholic schools) compared to public schools, it's that most of the "bad element" is weeded out by the middle of sophomore year. They simply do not screw around when it comes to discipline. I knew a kid who was kicked out halfway through his senior year.

This definitely keeps most of the kids in line and fosters an environment that's focused on learning and is VERY competitive. Again, there are public school districts that achieve this among its top students...but maybe not when it comes to the "average" students.

Bottom line: if you live in an average or worse district...it might be a good idea to send your kid there. Then again, a truly talented and focused student will likely do well in just about any school.
Let me assure you that Catholic school kids are no saints. That line about weeding out the "bad element" by sophomore year is pure bullcrap. Dirtbags exist in all schools, public and private.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Let me assure you that Catholic school kids are no saints. That line about weeding out the "bad element" by sophomore year is pure bullcrap. Dirtbags exist in all schools, public and private.
This is true to an extent....but I think they are starting to crack down more. My friend's nephew got kicked out of Chaminade 3 weeks before graduation. 3 years and 8 months at Chaminade and he got his diploma from a less-than-stellar LI high school.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:05 PM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
I think by "resume" the poster meant college resume.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 PM

270 posts, read 969,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
I think by "resume" the poster meant college resume.
Ah, good call.

I would say that unless you're in the worst school districts on Long Island, most of the schools out here will be equally recognized.

As far as being worth it, I guess it depends on how much money a family has to spend on taxes + private school tuition. I live in a fairly decent school district and pay considerable taxes. Would it be worth it to me to send my kids to a private school on Long Island? No. My neighbor accross the street, on the other hand, is a multi-millionaire - it may be worth it to his family, but his kids go to the same school my kids go to - Northport HS.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times
my friend's son was kicked out of st anthony for possession of marajuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island