Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM

39 posts, read 129,820 times

Advertisements

Question how good is Ridge, NY 11961 and how are the school there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
I love Ridge/Panamoka

The schools are ok.

It was my 2nd choice after Rocky Point.
Wheres Kelly?

Crooks

Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanks Crook

Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
There are places that have a "Ridge, NY 11961" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Ridge: these places are in the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Yaphank; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Ridge with a "Shoreham, NY 11786" mailing address.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM

125 posts, read 440,469 times
Ridge is like a rural suburb (pros: lots of trees, spread out, quiet, close to parks, great intersection location -- close to LIE, to north and south shores/forks, etc; cons: zero culture, no "Main Street" or town center, isolating, have to drive to get anywhere, no sidewalks).

I've been told the Longwood School District is great on the elementary level and not good at the junior/high school levels (but let others debate this, this is just what I've heard from former students and current residents. Believe me, i'd love to hear something positive!) Longwood Public Library is decent. Lots of kids programs.

Quality of neighborhoods varies in Ridge. But overall it's working class/blue collar and family-oriented. There are some really lovely homes.

There is a very large retirement community centered in Ridge (watch out for slow/erratic drivers!).

I think you can find some great (house) deals in this area. But I don't know the specific neighborhoods that well...

Last edited by ambralita; 10-12-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
Ridge is like a rural suburb (pros: lots of trees, spread out, quiet, close to parks, great intersection location -- close to LIE, to north and south shores/forks, etc; cons: zero culture, no "Main Street" or town center, isolating, have to drive to get anywhere, no sidewalks).

I've been told the Longwood School District is great on the elementary level and not good at the junior/high school levels (but let others debate this, this is just what I've heard from former students and current residents. Believe me, i'd love to hear something positive!) Longwood Public Library is decent. Lots of kids programs.

Quality of neighborhoods varies in Ridge. But overall it's working class/blue collar and family-oriented. There are some really lovely homes.

There is a very large retirement community centered in Ridge (watch out for slow/erratic drivers!).

I think you can find some great (house) deals in this area. But I don't know the specific neighborhoods that well...

Thats a pretty fair assessment.
I think the area is beautiful and Longwood HS doesnt scare me.

Youll get more land but less schools for your money than on the North Shore.

Crooks

Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats a pretty fair assessment.
I think the area is beautiful and Longwood HS doesnt scare me.

Youll get more land but less schools for your money than on the North Shore.

Crooks

when u mean less school what exactly do you mean?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardomreyes View Post
when u mean less school what exactly do you mean?

Most people would agree that Mt Sinai/Miller Place/Rocky Point/Shoreham would get the edge over Longwood.

Its not a bad district,it has some diversity, I wouldnt hesitate to send my kid there.

Again it was our 2nd choice, we just wanted to be walk to Sound.

I know many happy parents in Longwood.

Crooks

Old 10-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Most people would agree that Mt Sinai/Miller Place/Rocky Point/Shoreham would get the edge over Longwood.

Its not a bad district,it has some diversity, I wouldnt hesitate to send my kid there.

Again it was our 2nd choice, we just wanted to be walk to Sound.

I know many happy parents in Longwood.

Crooks
since my daughter is only 3 years old i dont think i will have a problem there "I'm Thinking"

but the only downside from me is the commute to work in about 25 minutes or 30 minutes.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardomreyes View Post
since my daughter is only 3 years old i dont think i will have a problem there "I'm Thinking"

but the only downside from me is the commute to work in about 25 minutes or 30 minutes.

Youll be fine.

Youre right off the Wm Floyd so its pretty accessible.

I like Lake Panamoka since it reminds me of old Miller Place/Rocky Point/Sound Beach.

Kelly is a regular on our board, shes your expert.

Good luck

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island