Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,768,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Now they're going to charge for their online site unless you're a newsday subscriber or a cablevision subscriber.
newspapers are a dying business. This is pretty much their only chance to remain profitable going forward. the whole industry is watching this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:45 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,347,631 times
Besides $1 for what is in there now, its not worth it. They've really scaled back a lot.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Pretty much they can do it and there is no law against it. The Dolans can easily argue that they don't own foxnews.com, cnn.com, msnbc.com, and other news websites that are accessible by the internet. As for TV, they don't own Channel 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11 news as well as TV 55. As for the newspaper, they don't own NY Times, the Post and Daily News.

Now if they were to attempt to buy all those others up, then yes, it would be a monopoly.
I was of the belief (wrongly?) that a company couldn't control X number of media outlets within an area. True 2,4,5,7,9 & 11 do minimal LI reporting -- unless it is something very bloody or sensational. The NYT, NYP and DN are largely NYC papers. When I am working outside of NY, I can not rely on any of them to provide me with information to pertaining to Suffolk County.

LI really needs a non-biased, well-written LI-centric news outlet. TV55 is good. It's just too bad Cablevision, in their quest to monopolize LI News, has placed them on a channel which is not number 55 or anywhere remotely near it.

We've grown too big to be lumped in with the tri-state area. The further east one heads, the greater the disconnect from NYC.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,347,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I was of the belief (wrongly?) that a company couldn't control X number of media outlets within an area. True 2,4,5,7,9 & 11 do minimal LI reporting -- unless it is something very bloody or sensational. The NYT, NYP and DN are largely NYC papers. When I am working outside of NY, I can not rely on any of them to provide me with information to pertaining to Suffolk County.

LI really needs a non-biased, well-written LI-centric news outlet. TV55 is good. It's just too bad Cablevision, in their quest to monopolize LI News, has placed them on a channel which is not number 55 or anywhere remotely near it.

We've grown too big to be lumped in with the tri-state area. The further east one heads, the greater the disconnect from NYC.
True to a point. But look at who controls our gas and our electric. Also Brookhaven keeps FIOS out thanks to some under the table deals with someone. It seems to me that as long as there is at least one competitor, nobody does nothing about it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Besides $1 for what is in there now, its not worth it. They've really scaled back a lot.

Especially in the quality of the writing. Anyone catch the clunky article this morning about the 32 carat Annenberg diamond? Paragraph 5 ends with the word, said. The three sentences comprosing paragraph 6 also end with the word, said. Four sentences in a row all ending with the same verb. UGH!

This is the sort of mistake I warn my children about making when writing.

I suppose the writers weren't informed that thesaurus.com is free to use.

Said Synonym | Synonym of Said and Antonym of Said at Thesaurus.com

Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
True to a point. But look at who controls our gas and our electric. Also Brookhaven keeps FIOS out thanks to some under the table deals with someone. It seems to me that as long as there is at least one competitor, nobody does nothing about it.

Seems to me that a call to Lesko's office is due from me, and from many other Brookhaven residents. Something along the lines of:

"You want my vote, I want FIOS TV. Do something NOW."

Old 10-22-2009, 08:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
Quote:
Seems to me that a call to Lesko's office is due from me, and from many other Brookhaven residents. Something along the lines of:

"You want my vote, I want FIOS TV. Do something NOW."
Fios isn't that great either though. A lot of people don't like CV and that's fine, but it's alot better than the crap you get in other parts of the country. Plus, while people may not like Dolan either, I know soooo many people who work for cablevision and they get treated very very well.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Fios isn't that great either though. A lot of people don't like CV and that's fine, but it's alot better than the crap you get in other parts of the country. Plus, while people may not like Dolan either, I know soooo many people who work for cablevision and they get treated very very well.

That's all well and good, but for those of us in Brookhaven, we don't have the option of changing to FIOS. It's satellite or Cablevision.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM

125 posts, read 440,899 times
Quote:
Especially in the quality of the writing.
So true, the quality of writing on the website is poor as well (if you're going to go digital, do it right!), almost as if they've invited random people to summarize hard news. This must be a money-saving move, but as a news organization is inexcusable. Long Island sorely needs a good newspaper.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 PM

316 posts, read 990,253 times
Does snoozeday even have a writing staff anymore? Seems everything is AP, or linked to another paper. I've seen more in-depth reporting in the Pennysaver, fer cornssakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island