Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM

294 posts, read 878,903 times

Advertisements

Thinking about cancelling my Newsday subscription. Yesterday's cover story on LIRR ridership being down goes against recent articles they printed about ridership remaining the same.....blah blah blah
Seems like Newsday is just helping the MTA prepare us all for the proposed fare hike......
Their repeated articles on the housing market are slanted as well.
Is their no decent print news to be had on LI????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,611 times
I read the Southampton Press and the NY Times only by choice
Newsday is good for the litter box as even I CAN FIND SPELLLING ERRORS in that paper.
Its sad really.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
I just cancelled last month and switched to the weekend NY Times.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 AM

183 posts, read 618,724 times
You mean the company that owns MSG, AMNY (crappy free rag), Cablevision and who knows what else is manipulating the public and possibly pushing an agenda? I would never read newsday, it is the print version of News12 which as we all know is sub par

Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I just cancelled last month and switched to the weekend NY Times.
Remember when the promotion ends the price goes up, I got stung that way once. Just "re-up" under a different name.
Now the cat has a subscription!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 13,254 times
My subscription is up in April & I'm done with them. I had been reading on this forum about opinions of biased writing. After reading yesterdays paper, I came to the same conclusion. They're painting an extremely rosy picture of Long Island's economy & it's pathetic. The paper hasn't been the same since they changed the format years ago (remember the good old days of Part II?). Now that cablevision has gotten a hold of it, it's nothing but fluff.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Thinking about cancelling my Newsday subscription. Yesterday's cover story on LIRR ridership being down goes against recent articles they printed about ridership remaining the same.....blah blah blah
Seems like Newsday is just helping the MTA prepare us all for the proposed fare hike......
Their repeated articles on the housing market are slanted as well.
Is their no decent print news to be had on LI????
links?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
Newsday is good for the litter box as even I CAN FIND SPELLLING ERRORS in that paper.
Its sad really.
I use my Newsday for the bottom of the bird cages, though I've read that you can make a clumping litter from old shredded paper. I have a good deal, I pay for Sunday and get Sunday through Friday. It was a promo deal a long time ago and works out well. Birds get fresh papers every day but Saturday! Other than that, I read the comics and my mom likes the crossword puzzle and Jumble. The rest of the paper is only worthy of bird turds.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 PM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
It's unfortunate that Newsday is the only major local paper...NY Times is good but it does not cover Long Island in-depth enough. Some competition would be good but we all know that is never going to happen, especially with all the other papers going out of business across the country.

I do have to say that the Newsday website is the WORST website ever. All of the ads all over the place just slow it down to a crawl; you basically need a brand new high end computer to be able to load the pages with any sort of decent response time. It's almost as if they make the site so bad that it forces you to buy the paper because you can't deal with it anymore.

And now, you can't even access News-12 online unless you are a Cablevision subscriber. I think it would be really interesting if Verizon had their own Long Island news channel; I am sure that would attract more people to the service.

One online paper I read is the Times Beacon Record - they have a few editions for various north shore towns in Suffolk. There is sometimes interesting stuff written there. http://www.northshoreoflongisland.com

Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM

520 posts, read 1,652,604 times
This is the discussion we are having right now. We are moving into a new home and trying to decide which newspaper we want to get. There's almost zero chance that it will be Newsday. It will most likely be the NY Times or Wall Street Journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island