Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Thanks.

I'm waiting for some spouse of an SCPD or NCPD guy to come on and admit that hubby is raping the taxpayer. I won't hold my breath.
I've yet to see that on these boards myself. Families of cops are united like nothing else, and even the slightest concession would mean betrayal on their part.

I will say this. They are VERY VERY well organized when it comes to voting. The general electorate in LI is very apathetic....almost numb to it all. The cops families turn out in full force..even in off year elections..and hold big sway. The only way to defeat them is to better mobilize the apathetic LI folks that are too busy shopping and going to Jr.'s 5 birthday parties at Chucky Cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 AM

748 posts, read 2,889,664 times
Maybe there are different ways of calculating the per-student spending?? Is it simply total budget / number of students. Or is it (Spending on instruction) / number of students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
WJFM,

I'm not sure where those Newsday numbers come from. I got my numbers from the school budget itself and GC News. Either way though, even using Newsday figures, it is still a lower cost than the other top districts (except for Herricks).

I still feel our police, fire, garbage, sewer are the real culprits of the high taxes...at least for our village.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I've yet to see that on these boards myself. Families of cops are united like nothing else, and even the slightest concession would mean betrayal on their part.

I will say this. They are VERY VERY well organized when it comes to voting. The general electorate in LI is very apathetic....almost numb to it all. The cops families turn out in full force..even in off year elections..and hold big sway. The only way to defeat them is to better mobilize the apathetic LI folks that are too busy shopping and going to Jr.'s 5 birthday parties at Chucky Cheese.

..not to mention the constant calling by the NYFOP. Thank goodness for cablevision's on screen caller ID, I don't even have to get out of my recliner. I have my 401K and you have a tax payer subsidized pension, and you're asking me for money...and it's 8:30 pm?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,699,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
...but if you don't think firing all the experienced teachers, as Walter suggests, wouldn't effect how the school district is viewed, you're nuts. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water.
You miss the point: after laying off all the teachers and selling the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings..

My assumption is that newly formed private schools will bid for the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and that they will interview and hire many of the teachers layed off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
You miss the point: after laying off all the teachers and selling the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings..

My assumption is that newly formed private schools will bid for the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and that they will interview and hire many of the teachers layed off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.

I won't say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island