Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 AM

748 posts, read 2,891,428 times

Advertisements

Plainview-Old Bethpage parents slam teacher protests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 AM

20,160 posts, read 20,945,478 times
That is awesome. If every community would take a stand, it is possible things would be much different accross the board.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 AM

964 posts, read 2,465,289 times
I lived in Plainview for about 4 years. I know the mentality there. For years, education obsessed parents rubber stamped every budget, handing out candy and goodies to all the school administrators and teachers. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

I used to get so livid at those budgets. Now, that times are tough, the parents have finally woken up but it's too late. Taxes in Plainview were through the roof, and frankly speaking, our schools weren't worth it. There is much better value elsewhere on LI.

I agree with parents standing up those wacky unions. Afterall, how many in the private sector were laid off or took ZERO percent raises last year??

However, I can't feel sorry for these parents because they dug their own graves years ago.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 20,945,478 times
We are all guilty of digging our own graves in some form.
We let too much slide by over the years.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,908,517 times
I went to plainview since 4th grade. I remember in middle school our "student-presidents" organized a sit-out to help the teachers get their contract. We got off the bus that morning and our peers would remind us not to go in. Problem was, the contract was settled the night before and we all looked like idiots.

Anyway, I definitely side with the parents here after seeing those numbers. I can't stand unions.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,718,192 times
Until school district residents realize that the first vote on the school district budget is the vote for school board members, they'll never really be able to focus in on how to really change things.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:21 AM

Can you elaborate??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Until school district residents realize that the first vote on the school district budget is the vote for school board members, they'll never really be able to focus in on how to really change things.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,058,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Can you elaborate??

The people who make the budget and negotiate with the union are on the school board. Rejecting the budget after it's been already negotiated doesn't achieve anything. You need to get people on the school board who are motivated to cut taxes first.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Interestingly though, school board elections do not seem to be about taxes. I do not hear a Tax Revolt as the slogan for a school board member campaign..

Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM

292 posts, read 820,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Interestingly though, school board elections do not seem to be about taxes. I do not hear a Tax Revolt as the slogan for a school board member campaign..
Because just as the unions hold power, so does the PTA - those are the people making the "get out and vote yes" calls the night before.

People on LI have been rubber stamping the budgets for years. I can remember my own parents panicking one year when I was maybe 10-11 that the budget might not pass. And in all those years, none of that money ever went to improving infrastructure or purchasing technology. In Garden City the schools are dumps and anything that gets purchased for the school is from BoxTops for Education or some other similar fundraiser. Look at schools around the country, they have SmartBoards, etc. We are lucky to have white erase boards instead of blackboards. We are funding the "extras" the way states like California do, but we don't have the caps on taxes like other states do. It's insane.

These teachers are out of their minds too...just goes to show how brainwashed they are by their unions. Not hanging up student work? That's one of the basic principles of teaching....so basic. It's disgusting.

A couple of years ago in GC the teachers were without a contract and they were provided buttons to wear that said something like "UNBELIEVABLE - GARDEN CITY TEACHERS WORKING WITHOUT A CONTRACT" (like they aren't getting paid) - at least most of them had the sense to wear them on their hip or something where they weren't that noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island