Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times

Advertisements

Goodbye!

From Newsday Mobile for all to read:

Top Stories Item

Quote:
LIPA Chief Operating Officer Michael Hervey has resigned, according to LIPA Chair Howard E. Steinberg.
Now how about hiring someone who has A LOT of experience running a large electric utility -- especially someone from an area with hurricanes, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
The dude has plenty of appropriate background - I think the organization as a whole is just inept. They can never seem to get anyone in there to lead - which means it's impossible to change the culture there for whatever reason.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
There is not ONE present board member who is an electrician. I happen to think that would be helpful!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
How big a separation package are they giving this smuck?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
There is not ONE present board member who is an electrician. I happen to think that would be helpful!!!!
Nah. Electricians are electrical plumbers. What this calls for is logistics people and system engineers.

Electricians and Electrical Engineers are the heart of the recovery process...but not effective in the planning part.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM

New York Emergency Management Officials Meet On L.I. To Discuss Hurricane Preparedness « CBS New York

Directly from this seminar:
LIPA chief Michael Hervey said the power company will be more up-front when it comes to information on restoring power after storms

It doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nah. Electricians are electrical plumbers. What this calls for is logistics people and system engineers.

Electricians and Electrical Engineers are the heart of the recovery process...but not effective in the planning part.
I respectfully disagree. IMO in order to plan effectively you need to have an understanding of the subject matter, having bean counters determine what to do in a storm aftermath is fool hearty. I of course am not talking about the ruin of the mill guy next door electrician but a person who had the background to understand the bigger picture.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I respectfully disagree. IMO in order to plan effectively you need to have an understanding of the subject matter, having bean counters determine what to do in a storm aftermath is fool hearty. I of course am not talking about the ruin of the mill guy next door electrician but a person who had the background to understand the bigger picture.
Well I respect your right to disagree...but you have to get the roles right.

Electricians are very important people. But few of that number have the faintest idea how an electrical system works. They know what size conductor for what service and what conduit connects properly to what box.

Second logistics guys and system engineers are not bean counters. They generally tell you how to get something done and have only a limited interest in what it costs. They both understand cost as it is part of the equations with which they deal...but only a part.

I am a well experienced electrical engineer. I generally use an electrician for changes to my home electrical system. Not because they even understand what I am doing but because they are better at putting it together in a workmanlike way then I would be.

It is the logistics guys that make recovery possible. And the systems guys who develop the implementation plan for the recovery.

Think about it...if the store of spare electric poles is based on the yearly usage and then you have a hurricane? So somebody better be thinking about how many poles you would need in a storm.

And where to store them? Cheap storage along a floodable canal may be nice in cost ways...but what happens when the canal floods. See Japanese nuclear.

You need the right people in the right places and management that asks hard questions.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
He seemed to have decent credentials, electrical engineer, MBA, and a background in private power although the companies were not indicated. This is very bad timing he should have stuck it out because of the present situation. It has to be crazy for any CEO to have to deal with a Board of Trustees laden with political appointments of unqualified people, not one Electrical Engineer or anyone with a significant power background. Still can't believe they removed the detailed resumes for the bios.

Cuomo indicated he would conduct a really serious investigation, the first question is why he reappointed the same incompetent board members. This is not some agency that fell to earth, our elected officals that are complaining, are the same elected offials that appointed the management in LIPA. Why weren't more questions asked since Irene, why was Sandy a "test"??

Some of the Trustees experience ( they dropped from the LIPA website)

John Fabio - served since 2003, prior experience was at Nassau County OTB appointed by Silver
Suzanne Smookler - served since 2006, a distinguished career in health care appointed by Skelos

I found the bios of the rest of the board that was removed from the LIPA website, not one engineer, some cast of characters.

nassauotb: LiPa and Andrew Cuomo

Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Some of the Trustees experience ( they dropped from the LIPA website)

John Fabio - served since 2003, prior experience was at Nassau County OTB appointed by Silver
Suzanne Smookler - served since 2006, a distinguished career in health care appointed by Skelos

I found the bios of the rest of the board that was removed from the LIPA website, not one engineer, some cast of characters.

nassauotb: LiPa and Andrew Cuomo
This board is a disgrace! It IS the ABSOLUTE epitome of corrupt big gov't NY style political cronyism!

They put venture capitalists, lawyers, an OTB guy (an OTB guy!), a special ed teacher, health care exec, and an accountant in charge of LIPA?! All these political crony hacks to run one of the most, if not the most, crucial utility on Long Island. This must be some kind of sick joke! I'm stunned - and speechless.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-13-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island