Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 AM

15 posts, read 65,027 times

Advertisements

Thank you Elke, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

I realize that the seller can ask any price he wants and that if someone is willing to pay it, that's what the house is 'worth' but if I can explain to him that the comps he's using for pricing aren't accurate, perhaps we can get a more accurate price on the house.

Last question, Elke, does it matter if it's a 'walkout' basement? The house is built into a slope, so the front of the basement is underground but the back is fully above ground. I ask because you say 'true basement' and I'm not sure what would constitute a true basement vs. what is in this house, which is what I would refer to as a 'walkout' basement.

Thanks so much for your help, all of this information is very useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:51 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyalee9 View Post
Thank you Elke, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

I realize that the seller can ask any price he wants and that if someone is willing to pay it, that's what the house is 'worth' but if I can explain to him that the comps he's using for pricing aren't accurate, perhaps we can get a more accurate price on the house.

Last question, Elke, does it matter if it's a 'walkout' basement? The house is built into a slope, so the front of the basement is underground but the back is fully above ground. I ask because you say 'true basement' and I'm not sure what would constitute a true basement vs. what is in this house, which is what I would refer to as a 'walkout' basement.

Thanks so much for your help, all of this information is very useful.
Hmmm - tough to give you a definitive answer without seeing it. A "true" basement is all below grade. If the house is in the Town of Huntington, I may know it - you could send me a PM and I might be able to tell you off the top of my head. BTW, aren't you working with an agent? What has s/he said to all this?

FYI, with regard to "worth" of a house, in this environment - unless the buyer pays all cash - value is determined by the lenders' appraisal(s). Let's say I have a house and am asking $600,000 for it. You absolutely love it and want it and we settle on $585,000. If your lender's appraiser says it's only worth $500,000, you're going to have a problem getting a mortgage, unless you can come up with a lot more $$ for a downpayment in order to get that loan.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:09 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Hmmm - tough to give you a definitive answer without seeing it. A "true" basement is all below grade. If the house is in the Town of Huntington, I may know it - you could send me a PM and I might be able to tell you off the top of my head. BTW, aren't you working with an agent? What has s/he said to all this?

FYI, with regard to "worth" of a house, in this environment - unless the buyer pays all cash - value is determined by the lenders' appraisal(s). Let's say I have a house and am asking $600,000 for it. You absolutely love it and want it and we settle on $585,000. If your lender's appraiser says it's only worth $500,000, you're going to have a problem getting a mortgage, unless you can come up with a lot more $$ for a downpayment in order to get that loan.

Great point!
Crooks

Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 PM

15 posts, read 65,027 times
Yes, 'someone willing to pay for it' would include the banks!

Thanks, Elke, I sent you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island