Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 35,200 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am purchasing a house that I want to do renovations on. I would love to get ballpark figures to have an idea of how much it would cost to do all of the following. I have a 200K budget and I wanted to know if it is realistic. If not, how much am I likely to be able to accomplish with 200K. TIA!

Some initial details:

House is a split-level ranch: top level 2400 sq ft and basement 800 sq ft. 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms with 2 large rooms in basement.

Want to do, in order of preference:

1. Large kitchen - gut, quartz countertops, medium-high end appliances, wood floors, large island, maybe change doors to outside deck and/or windows
2. Redo 3 bathrooms (but should be able to keep plumbing) - 1) large bathroom w/ standing tub and shower; 2) small bathroom in master with only shower; 3) small bathroom in basement with shower and need to add a vent
3. Redo all floors on top level to wood and lower level to carpet and redo two small staircases
4. Open wall between living room and dining room (might be load bearing)
5. Redo two small walk-in closets
6. Redo basement and laundry room - already have slop sink but want to install new counters and sink
7. Change entrance door and possibly raise entrance to have a higher ceiling (low priority)
8. Have old fireplace, redo facade and change to gas (low priority)
9. New deck (low priority)
10. New siding (low priority)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 03:58 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misaltow View Post
Hi All,

I am purchasing a house that I want to do renovations on. I would love to get ballpark figures to have an idea of how much it would cost to do all of the following. I have a 200K budget and I wanted to know if it is realistic. If not, how much am I likely to be able to accomplish with 200K. TIA!

Some initial details:

House is a split-level ranch: top level 2400 sq ft and basement 800 sq ft. 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms with 2 large rooms in basement.

Want to do, in order of preference:

1. Large kitchen - gut, quartz countertops, medium-high end appliances, wood floors, large island, maybe change doors to outside deck and/or windows
2. Redo 3 bathrooms (but should be able to keep plumbing) - 1) large bathroom w/ standing tub and shower; 2) small bathroom in master with only shower; 3) small bathroom in basement with shower and need to add a vent
3. Redo all floors on top level to wood and lower level to carpet and redo two small staircases
4. Open wall between living room and dining room (might be load bearing)
5. Redo two small walk-in closets
6. Redo basement and laundry room - already have slop sink but want to install new counters and sink
7. Change entrance door and possibly raise entrance to have a higher ceiling (low priority)
8. Have old fireplace, redo facade and change to gas (low priority)
9. New deck (low priority)
10. New siding (low priority)
A couple of initial questions...

- When you say "redo the floors to wood" are you talking new poly, sand and new poly, or rip out and replace the floor (and subfloor)? On the first floor, do you mean just ripping up and replacing pre-existing carpet?
- New cabinets in kitchen?
- Any painting other than areas getting demoed?
- Where is the nearest gas line to your fireplace and what sort of material are you using for facade?
- Will you need to update any electrical or plumbing (e.g. Has it been updated in the past 25 years)?

Old 12-08-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
A couple of initial questions...

- When you say "redo the floors to wood" are you talking new poly, sand and new poly, or rip out and replace the floor (and subfloor)? On the first floor, do you mean just ripping up and replacing pre-existing carpet?
- New cabinets in kitchen?
- Any painting other than areas getting demoed?
- Where is the nearest gas line to your fireplace and what sort of material are you using for facade?
- Will you need to update any electrical or plumbing (e.g. Has it been updated in the past 25 years)?
Thanks for asking:

1. By redo, I mean rip out and replace both floors and carpet. I'm assuming subfloor is still ok.
2. Everything new in kitchen
3. No repainting needed
4. I'm not sure about gas lines. Probably the kitchen stove which would be two rooms away. A simple facade, nothing too fancy but maybe stone.
5. The electrical and plumbing probably hasn't been updated but did not seem to be in poor condition from what I could tell.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM

75 posts, read 110,659 times
It'll be close but doable, as long as you're diligent in finding deals on appliances and material.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:41 PM

155 posts, read 174,537 times
Renovating a 1,000sqft house, 100% gut job, down to the studs, new electric, oil to gas conversion, etc...pretty much anything that can be done to a house, except pour a foundation and build the outside frame (even got new siding and a new roof) being done for about $150k. But that's with all the work being done by family members (we bought the materials). Not sure if that helps, but it's an example. Good luck to you!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:42 PM

186 posts, read 244,003 times
200K is a good chunk of change but renovations have a way of eating money up very fast. A good contractor specializing in full renovations is your best bet. Find one via referrals if you can otherwise it's a shot in the dark.

A full renovation of a large kitchen with mid-high end appliances and cabinets is 100k plus. Your job is easily 300K

Old 12-08-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
200K is a good chunk of change but renovations have a way of eating money up very fast. A good contractor specializing in full renovations is your best bet. Find one via referrals if you can otherwise it's a shot in the dark.

A full renovation of a large kitchen with mid-high end appliances and cabinets is 100k plus. Your job is easily 300K
Thanks. How much do you think is doable at 200K?

Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 AM

186 posts, read 244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misaltow View Post
Thanks. How much do you think is doable at 200K?
There's no way of giving you a number with any confidence. You need to consult with a quality contractor who you trust and do a walk through of the house. Again 200K is a lot of money and you can do much with it but only if you find a good contractor that will guide you on costs.

Don't fall into the trap by looking for a contractor who will meet your budget on everything you want, find one who will be honest with actual costs and walk you through the process. I go through this all the time and I'll tell you one fact of this business. I've never had a client stick to the budget, never. Once they start looking in the showrooms they fall in love with expensive products, appliances, etc.. and blow the budget, and/or they want to open another wall, add a window/door etc. Keep in mind labor can easily increase when items are changed, so keep that in mind. Money goes very fast in residential renovations.

Find a reputable contractor, pay his fee to consult with you and to come up with a fixed number and and go from there.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM

170 posts, read 193,333 times
If you're planning on hiring people to do everything then it'll be close to your budget but should be doable. If you are handy, you can do alot of this stuff yourself and save a ton of $$.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Short of someone doing exactly what you want to a split-level, we can only guess yes - you will get a more accurate idea of what can and cannot be done within your budget when you get at least 3 or 4 estimates. Do your homework, learn, and adjust your wants as you go through them. Feel free to ask more detailed questions of our experiences with specific items later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island