Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
He said it was my modem.. even after I explained I already unplugged and that my friend living less then a mile away has the same problem as well.
They do not ever say anything except "it's your modem". In all honesty, this is one of the biggest reasons we switched - every time we had a problem they'd say it was our modem and it just got ridiculously frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:50 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Bottom line:
Quality-Fios
Cheap-Cable

I was very tempted to switch back, but I'd rather pay a little more for the better product.
The old saying you get what you pay for rings very true in this situation.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:07 AM

537 posts, read 1,448,689 times
No MSG in HD = no FIOS for me

Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 PM

74 posts, read 555,019 times
In my home I have 6 tv's. And 2 cable boxes. The rest of the tv's are one in my basement, one in my kids playroom, my computer acts as a tv. If I were to switch to fios I would need to get boxes for every outlet. My guess is it would be very expensive.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson View Post
In my home I have 6 tv's. And 2 cable boxes. The rest of the tv's are one in my basement, one in my kids playroom, my computer acts as a tv. If I were to switch to fios I would need to get boxes for every outlet. My guess is it would be very expensive.
I don't see why it couldn't be hooked up the same way you have it now, unless you wanted to have DVR for all 6 tvs.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
That's the one drawback about Fios over cable. No box...no signal.
Cable you can have a gajillion tv's with basic channels.
The Fios boxes are around 6 bucks each.
DVR I believe is 20 after promotional thing wears off.

Again, if you want quality, Fios wins hands down.
If you are looking to save a few bucks, then cable is probabally best, especially if you're not a real TV fan.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:55 PM

122 posts, read 211,013 times
Exclamation Installation problems

I have Time Warner Cable, with NY1 News, which Fios does not have. I pay $73.51 for over 200 channels, with no Premiums, per month. TV only and no contract.

T/W comes into my house through a wire connected to a pole, hidden beneath a tree. Excellent reception, and no problems, but I wanted Verizon because I have DSL with them, for my computer.

I did apply. The crew came in and told me that they will have to rip my lawn in order to install wires underground, and they could not guarantee that my beautiful trees could be spared. That ended my love affair with Verizon, plus I would have lost NY1 News.................

Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
NY1 is better than FIOS1 channel but since I don't have the option of TimeWarner so it was a moot point for me. I didn't really care about losing channel 12. The whole contract thing with Verizon is not really a problem anymore either. If you've seen their latest commercials, they now say that no contract necessary.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM

110 posts, read 350,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That's the one drawback about Fios over cable. No box...no signal.
Cable you can have a gajillion tv's with basic channels.
The Fios boxes are around 6 bucks each.
DVR I believe is 20 after promotional thing wears off.

Again, if you want quality, Fios wins hands down.
If you are looking to save a few bucks, then cable is probabally best, especially if you're not a real TV fan.
I just received something in the mail from Cablevision saying that starting September something I will no longer be able to receive any io channels without a box. Did anyone else receive this notice? Do you know what channels I will be left with without a box?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM

12 posts, read 47,643 times
You know what else is great about Fios over Cablevision?

if there's a problem with the cableline coming into the house outside, cablevision comes out and fixes it for free.

if there's a problem with the fiber line coming into the house outside, verizon charges you 80 bucks to fix their equipment!

Verizon is just the BESt!11.... wait a damn minute here....

Screw verizon. Thank god for VOIP competition and cell phone competitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island