Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 AM

48 posts, read 76,404 times

Advertisements

My child attends public school and yesterday he brought home a request for money for a field trip. Why am I paying for his field trips? Is this the norm? Also his teacher sent a note telling me what costume he needs for his school play. The parents are expected to get the costumes. Again is this normal? It's not a money issue for us but I just felt it was uncharactaristic of public schools. If your paying $8000. in school tax I would assume that tab includes field trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 AM

48 posts, read 76,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
I agree with you but you have to realize something..about 75 to 80% of what you pay for school taxes goes to teacher & administrators salaries and benefits. So of your 8K in school tax about $6,400.00 goes into the pockets of teachers & administrators. The other $1,600.00 goes to other expenses like your child's needs!

Your agreeing with me does not answer my question and my "child's needs" include a teacher. Please go back to Schwartz report along with Levitown and East Islip.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,975,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsay View Post
My child attends public school and yesterday he brought home a request for money for a field trip. Why am I paying for his field trips? Is this the norm? Also his teacher sent a note telling me what costume he needs for his school play. The parents are expected to get the costumes. Again is this normal? It's not a money issue for us but I just felt it was uncharactaristic of public schools. If your paying $8000. in school tax I would assume that tab includes field trips.
I don't have kids but I remember when I was in school my parents sometimes had to chip in maybe up to 15$ for a field trip.

I was never in plays so I didn't need costumes, can't comment on that.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
We've always had to pay for field trips. I think it's kind of difficult to include something like this in the budget, since different trips have different costs, if the school district contracts with a bus company and doesn't have its own bus fleet, they have to pay for the bus, etc etc.

I can't comment on the costume thing either. As much as I ****** and moan about taxes I really don't have a problem with students getting involved in making their own costumes, I don't think they need to have everything handed to them by the school. I mean if your kid plays varsity football you don't expect the school to buy your kid cleats and underarmor for cold days, KWIM?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM

214 posts, read 459,386 times
For many districts field trip budgets were cut long ago. Sometimes classes will fundraise to reduce trip costs, or the pta or hsa will provide some money towards the trip. Some teachers apply for grants, but in most cases kids need to pay for admission and/or the cost of transportation. Funds are typically sought for those in need so all can attend.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
It's enough the taxpayers have to pay to educate all these Mensa Darlings on Long Island..we shouldnt have to entertain them too.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsay View Post
We've been paying for field trips for the past 13 years that I have had children in school. The costs varied depending upon where they were going.

Seeing as I have no budding thespians, I can't comment on costumes, but as musicians we have been required to provide their instruments and with appropriate concert attire -- white shirts and black bottoms, dress shoes, ties for young men. In the upper grades (within the jazz programs) the boys must wear suits. Marching band uniforms are provided as are sports uniforms.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
..we shouldnt have to entertain them too.
Trust me, they aren't that entertaining

Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM

592 posts, read 1,814,702 times
My kids are long out of school and we always paid for field trips. In fact I remember my parents giving me money in an envelope for them when I was a kid and you can't imagine how long ago that was! Not all teachers even take field trips with their classes and it's probably something that is most often done in the earlier years, so I guess it would be hard to estimate a fair budget for them out of tax money. One's child is NEVER required to take the trip, either, so paying a small expense for your child to attend one is always optional. I believe the money goes to pay the entrance fee at wherever they're going, food if it's supplied for that particular trip, and lastly a bus driver's salary because he obviously won't be a bus driver who has a normal school route that day. In some instances there's also a fee for a separate bus company if your district doesn't have it's own or they use a charter bus, so the school has to make a special reservation, and pay a separate fee, with the bus company for a field trip outing in that case.

As for costumes, we used to have to make them for our kids plays. Dad's old shirts, felt, glue and lots of imagination got used and it was a fun family thing to do with your child. I'm guessing today's working parents aren't interested in doing any of that and would much rather just go out and buy one. Remember, schools are trying to please thousands of parents wishes, so majority probably rules. And, the majority probably don't want to bother making a costume for their children.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,958,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It's enough the taxpayers have to pay to educate all these Mensa Darlings on Long Island..we shouldnt have to entertain them too.
If this is a shot at all the smart kids in school you obviously have no idea how much money is spent on special education compared to an honors student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: