Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM

172 posts, read 719,088 times

Advertisements

i want to move a garage about 20ft towards the front of the house. Do i need a permit? it's a 1 car garage and reason is because i want to make more room in the backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
I'd be very surprised if you didn't

Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 AM

127 posts, read 748,000 times
The town will definitely say yes.....make sure the new location conforms with current setback regs......sometimes they have changed since the building was initially constructed.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 PM

184 posts, read 806,121 times
yes, most definitely.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
I believe in Brookhaven it needs to be behind the front line of the house ...unless its attached.

And you need crazy permits.

Cant imagine that stunt being painless or cheap.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM

house is located in Hicksville and i want to move it up to where the house begins.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Yes, you'll need permits -- you're placing it on a new foundation, it will require new electrical and things will have to be brought to code. If you're staying behind the front foundation line and within the Town's setbacks, you shouldn't have an issue there.

Dawn and Davis house movers are both reputable companies, if you're in the market. Things are a little slow and they've been pricing moves rather competitively. Bear in mind that the area you wish to move the garage from and to has to be clear of any trees, wires, fences, etc. That prep is usually not a part of the mover's costs.

Have you had someone check to make sure the structure was worth moving, i.e. without major structural flaws?

To Crooks -- believe is or not, it can be less expensive to move a structure 20' than demolish and build new. I've had clients swing their garages around to face a different direction, others who have done just what the OP wishes to do, too.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM

i'll look into everything once i get back from Asia. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, you'll need permits -- you're placing it on a new foundation, it will require new electrical and things will have to be brought to code. If you're staying behind the front foundation line and within the Town's setbacks, you shouldn't have an issue there.

Dawn and Davis house movers are both reputable companies, if you're in the market. Things are a little slow and they've been pricing moves rather competitively. Bear in mind that the area you wish to move the garage from and to has to be clear of any trees, wires, fences, etc. That prep is usually not a part of the mover's costs.

Have you had someone check to make sure the structure was worth moving, i.e. without major structural flaws?

To Crooks -- believe is or not, it can be less expensive to move a structure 20' than demolish and build new. I've had clients swing their garages around to face a different direction, others who have done just what the OP wishes to do, too.
Interesting OBH

Seems like a huge PITA though.

I didnt know that.

Crooks

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

my uncle did the swinging the garage around thing back in the 50s. As he describes it, he jacked it up with a house jack and him and his brother rotated it around on its foundation like a merry go round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island