Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 AM

74 posts, read 275,115 times

Advertisements

I'm moving with my wife in about 2-3 months to Long Island (Nassau County if it makes a difference) and are aware that you do things differently than we do where we live now. Here in Florida every year you pay about 60 bucks for a little sticker with your birth month and the current year and each year you renew it at the DMV. In New York, is there anything we would need to do besides the car inspection? How exactly does it work? I'm not really familiar with this and am not sure what we need to do once we move. Do we take the car to any auto shop for the inspection? What is the cost of this usually like? We only have one car (a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid) and are wondering if the price you pay is the same no matter what or if it depends on what car you drive?

Also, with the HOV lanes in Florida if you have a hybrid car you are allowed to use the HOV lane during rush hour times as long as you get the sticker for it. Do they do something similar to this in NY?

We are both originally from Long Island but haven't lived there since we were kids, so we aren't familiar with any of this stuff.

Also, when it comes to auto insurance, my wife's cousin who we will be staying with for a few months has had 2 DUI's and did have his license suspended (however it is now valid, has been for a few months). Will that effect our auto insurance price? Someone told me that when you get a new policy they will know if the address you live at has anyone with a DUI/suspended license/ect residing there. This seems weird to me, but I figured I'd better ask to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
DMV is your friend....

NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title

Although it says you have to register your car within 30 days of moving back to NY, I have had friends who came back from other states and simply waited until either their insurance or registration was going to expire before transferring to NY. That might give you time to get out of your DWI cousin's house without informing an insurance company that you live with him. Im not sure if insurance companies can track DWIs to addresses but anything is possible...however, they will ask you to list all drivers in the house. Guess you could lie but do you really want to take that chance?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
NY's insurance is fairly lax. First, the DMV site Gpsma gave is very user friendly. People AT the DMV are not, so do some research before you go.

Second, when you go get insurance, if you are at your DWI cousin's house, just don't give his name as a household member. They won't be checking. And make sure he NEVER drives your car. One of the reasons they ask that question about who lives with you is that anyone in the household is considered insured under the policy. But if he's not going to be using the car then don't borrow trouble.

There's no way for the DMV to know how long you've been here until you sign a lease or close on a house...so you can certainly wait till that happens to register and insure your car in NY.

The amount you pay for insurance relies on too many variables from the car you drive to your record to your age to your credit history to your accident history to to where you live to how much you drive.

NY doesn't use license plate stickers. You'll have to deal with unsightly stickers on your windshield, one each for registration and inspection.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Inspections are yearly and can be done at any repair shop with the yellow NYS DMV sign out side that OFFICIAL NYS INSPECTION and EMISSIONS on it.

Inspections are $27.50 for the emissions part and $10 for the safety part.
This fee is uniform and doesnt change. Anyone charging more is ripping you off. Also if your car is less than 2 model years old you dont need the emissions part.

Registrations are 2 years based on where you live and weight of your car plus the dumb MTA surcharge.

2nd year is refundable if you dont use any of it. 1 day in to the 2nd year and you lose the 2nd year.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM

45 posts, read 99,196 times
I am also confused on what needs done as I will be moving into NYS in a week. I have already changed my insurance policy to reflect my new address but am confused about the registration/inspection part. Would it be ok to wait until our vehicles are up for inspection according to our current state before we get them inspected in new york or do you have to get them inspected as you register at the DMV.

Also, do you have to pay sales tax on a vehicle you register even though you paid that tax in the state you bought the vehicle?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejraste View Post
I am also confused on what needs done as I will be moving into NYS in a week. I have already changed my insurance policy to reflect my new address but am confused about the registration/inspection part. Would it be ok to wait until our vehicles are up for inspection according to our current state before we get them inspected in new york or do you have to get them inspected as you register at the DMV.

Also, do you have to pay sales tax on a vehicle you register even though you paid that tax in the state you bought the vehicle?
You cant get NYS inspection without NYS registration first. You need to register the car in NYS first. You'll get a 10 day "temp" sticker for the inspection. Theres a whole pile of paperwork you need to do this coming from another state, especially the original title and any lien waivers. Check the NYS DMV website for exact details. If you are moving to NYS you are SUPPOSED to register your cars in 30 days...

Unless the car is new you dont need to pay NYS tax (I think). And even if you did its only the difference between your home state and NYS.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM

45 posts, read 99,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
You cant get NYS inspection without NYS registration first. You need to register the car in NYS first. You'll get a 10 day "temp" sticker for the inspection. Theres a whole pile of paperwork you need to do this coming from another state, especially the original title and any lien waivers. Check the NYS DMV website for exact details. If you are moving to NYS you are SUPPOSED to register your cars in 30 days...

Unless the car is new you dont need to pay NYS tax (I think). And even if you did its only the difference between your home state and NYS.

Thank you, and about the paperwork. The cars we have are financed and we do not have the original titles. Do I have to contact the lien holder and get them to send paperwork needed over to the DMV, or have them send me the paperwork needed?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejraste View Post
Thank you, and about the paperwork. The cars we have are financed and we do not have the original titles. Do I have to contact the lien holder and get them to send paperwork needed over to the DMV, or have them send me the paperwork needed?
Its on the DMV website on how to handle that situation. In NYS, the owner always gets the title regardless of liens. The liens just are printed on the title and then you get lien waivers from the lenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island