Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,642 times

Advertisements

How close is too close to live near the Northern state and LIE? At what point is it toxic? At what point does it lower property value? Many houses I have looked at in eastern nassau you can hear the highway and some of them are very close to the highway.... help me to put it in context....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:02 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
If you can smell it, hear it or see it..its too close

Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
Its really a matter of what bothers you. I would not back the LIE or Northern but my house is on a hill and in the winter if I look out my bedroom I can see some of the NS lights. I have friends who live closer. I can hear a low hum in the winter when I am in my backyard. It doesnt bother me b/c it is the tradeoff for being 3 minutes from the exit to get on. What area are you looking?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
That is all a preference thing. I always look at the houses along the SS when I am driving home and wonder what it would be like to have your backyard right against the woods barrier to the highway. I wouldn't want to live that close but obviously plenty of people do. It will be reflected in the price of the houses you are looking at as well as the price when you sell. If you look at the house in the summer and then the winter it probably seems like the road is moved a lot closer in the winter when all the trees are bare.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
That is all a preference thing. I always look at the houses along the SS when I am driving home and wonder what it would be like to have your backyard right against the woods barrier to the highway. I wouldn't want to live that close but obviously plenty of people do. It will be reflected in the price of the houses you are looking at as well as the price when you sell. If you look at the house in the summer and then the winter it probably seems like the road is moved a lot closer in the winter when all the trees are bare.
I always think the same thing when I see those houses.

The time to check them out is now, not the summer when they roadway is hidden by the leaves.

For me it's always been an absolute no-go, even when we looked at an apt near the NS - I'm not all that earthy-crunchy, but living near all that exhaust and unremitting noise freaked me out.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
I lived on a street which ended at a side street which paralleled the SSP. My street curved so from my end of the block, 10 houses or so away, the SSP was not visible in winter -- there was actually a fair amount of evergreen type plants in the buffer area.

My window faced toward the SSP and in the summer I would hear a very low hum of cars moving with the occasional bad muffler reverb. I never smelled anything.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I lived on a street which ended at a side street which paralleled the SSP. My street curved so from my end of the block, 10 houses or so away, the SSP was not visible in winter -- there was actually a fair amount of evergreen type plants in the buffer area.

My window faced toward the SSP and in the summer I would hear a very low hum of cars moving with the occasional bad muffler reverb. I never smelled anything.
The house I grew up in was pretty much the same thing. Our house didn't face the SSP, but it was about 10 houses away from a wooded (sump) area that did. I could hear the hum of the cars at night, but it was probably like 15dB if even that. If you didn't know the parkway was right there, you would never notice it. No smells at all....although I wasn't aware that parkways and highways "smelled" like anything LOL. This was also right where the Wantagh and SSP merge, so there were always accidents and we'd hear the helicopters frequently, but that never bothered me either.

Even where I live now, which isn't really anywhere close to the SSP, I can still hear the cars at night in the summer. Heck, I can hear the trains on the Babylon Branch on a clear night....and that is a good 3 miles away!

I think you'd actually have to suck on the tailpipe of a car for it to be toxic. Even living right next to the expressway really shouldn't cause any health issues.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
I grew up 2 blocks from the expressway, pre retaining walls...160 yards away according to google earth. I actually had a hard time sleeping when we'd go away to the country in the summer because the constant drone of the expressway used to put me to sleep. To this day I still sleep with an air purifier or fan running all year round.

I doubt that the gas fumes have any direct effect once you get a few hundred yards away, but if anyone has evidence otherwise I'd like to hear it.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 AM

169 posts, read 675,384 times
I live about 500 yards from 135 / northern state. You have to listen very hard to even hear the highway, maybe a loud bike every once in a while but again, only if it's totally quite and you're trying to listen for it.

In the summer, no smells or highway noises plus it's great being 3mins off the highway exit.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenet View Post
You have to listen very hard to even hear the highway, maybe a loud bike every once in a while but again, only if it's totally quite and you're trying to listen for it.
This is because you probably have gotten used to it, not because the noise is low. Just remember the first couple of weeks when you moved in.... I'm sure you must be thinking about the noise.

I can hear the refrigerator make noises and things like that, but thats because the sounds is not continuous. If its the sound of a fan or something that comes all the time, maybe working in factories etc, people just get used to it....

If theoretically you can have a plane land every second then you will get used to the plane sound also.... and then probably John in Westbury would not complain. (John, just pulling your leg !!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island