Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Wait for them on pick up day. Stand out there, make sure you have something to take pics or video, and if these clowns give you any problems, call Dr. Phil or the proper authorities to deal with them. Tips are optional, not mandatory.
Any of these garbage guys demanding or expecting tips is a skel.
They get paid well enough already to perform a job, tips aint on their w2's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 PM

97 posts, read 394,373 times
Do you live in the Town of Hempstead? I know for a while they have not been taking construction materials and have been leaving them. The behavior of the sanitation worker seems very odd though...but I just thought of that scenario as I was reading your post. Hope they fix the situation soon!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
I will have to wait until I move in... I just hate going there everyday, taking the garbage out, then coming back the next day and having to bring it back in I will give the town a call tomorrow.... These guys are private contractors hired by the town...

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
starfish,

I live in the Town of NORTH Hempstead.... But yea, they are construction materials of a sort... So if garbage ppl dont take this stuff... What do you do with it?

What makes the garbage men at my mothers house take the same stuff when I put it out there,but not at my house... Maybe its different workers... But if rules are rules, then they shouldnt be subject to interpretation.... Just to note.. I believe the town of north hempstead switched private contractors to Meadow Carting for 2010.....

Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 PM

97 posts, read 394,373 times
The Town of Hempstead had stopped taking construction materials a few months ago because of a permit oversight or some nonsense. But they will take it for Special Pick-Up....have you tried that with N. Hempstead?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
If they were rubbing their fingers together I'd call the town immediately.
Screw those guys.
As long as the bags aren't over the weight limit and don't contain anything they're not really supposed to have, then they should pick them up.
I agree. There's no good reason they shouldn't take them. We had major construction done on our house a few years back. We did have a dumpster but we still had some other stuff we had to throw out ourselves. We just made sure we didn't put out too many black bags at once and that they weren't too heavy. We didn't have a problem and we sure didn't tip the garbage guys either.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 PM

26 posts, read 72,247 times
put the black bags in your garbage pails and put regular garbage on top see if they'll take it then

Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiant View Post
put the black bags in your garbage pails and put regular garbage on top see if they'll take it then
This thread is hysterical.
"How to outsmart your garbage man" 101

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I agree. There's no good reason they shouldn't take them. We had major construction done on our house a few years back. We did have a dumpster but we still had some other stuff we had to throw out ourselves. We just made sure we didn't put out too many black bags at once and that they weren't too heavy. We didn't have a problem and we sure didn't tip the garbage guys either.
I've gutted nearly an entire house. Twice.
And put it all out to the curb. Tactfully. My guys always take it.
Might take a little extra effort to make it managable and takable by the grabage guys, because you gotta break everything up neat and bag it, or tie it in bundles, not be too heavy, etc...but when you're doing heavy reno on your house, them dumpsters add up, I'd rather keep the cash in my pocket even if I gotta wrestle with the debris for an hour or so.
My guys take that stuff no problem, but they're lazy and sloppy with regular garbage. Go figure

Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
I live in the Town of North Hempstead and get a mailing every year from Jamaica Ash & Rubbish Removal Co. This is what it says about exclusions:

'Please be advised that the following items are excluded from all pick ups:

Hazardous waste, volatile materials, propane tanks, gas tanks, brick asphalt, concrete, granite, marble, toilets, stone and stoneware, lime asbestos, automobile parts (engines, transmissions, rear ends, auto body parts, etc.) Pipes, infectious and biological waste, logs larger than 4 inches in diameter or longer than 4 feet, chain link fencing and cables. Scrap lumber and other debris resulting from the construction or renovation of premises by Contractor.'

Then of course it goes on to say they have dumpsters available for a price.

So I suppose that technically your 'stuff' should only be removed via a dumpster, however, I still think if it fits in black garbage bags and doesn't have metal/wood, etc. jutting out the sides nor does it weigh too much, then the garbage collectors should take it. It almost sounds as if your garbage collectors are refusing to take it because they know you had renovations done by a contractor. I still think they're being ridiculous though. With the crazy taxes we pay, nonsense like this shouldn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island