Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

Bienvenue

Il y n' a pas beaucoup de francais ici.

If your nine year old attended school in France, she will be ahead of her public school American peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
AndreaII - I didn't say it doesn't exist, I said that it isn't part of the culture, it's not what "everyone does". I specifically said that I couldn't say it didn't exist, just that is wasn't "the thing to do".
By making the above statement you are implying that in other school districts drugs and booze IS what everyone does and that it is part of their culture. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's exactly how it comes across. Be careful, there's a word for that - slander.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Quote:
3V - large school district, very well rated- High school is 3 grades w/1900 students. Lots of highly educated parents. More drugs and drinking than Port Jeff or Mt. Sinai.
Regarding your comment about drugs and drinking, where do you get your information? Do you just make it up as you go along? Again, smacks of slander.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:24 PM

342 posts, read 1,094,339 times
Ward Melville nick name = "The Pharmacy". Just what I hear from folks at 3V. And AndreaII there are alot nicer ways to ask your questions or make your point. No need to be so nasty. Really.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Ward Melville nick name = "The Pharmacy". Just what I hear from folks at 3V. And AndreaII there are alot nicer ways to ask your questions or make your point. No need to be so nasty. Really.
My husband graduated from WM 34 years ago. Guess what? It was called that back then. Does that mean that there is a drug problem for 34 years? Hardly.

My son has spent his entire school career in the TVCSD and will be graduating from WMHS in 2 months. He's been frank with me -- there are kids who do drugs, but then again, there were drugs in the small school district (small like Mount Sinai) I graduated from, too.

To slam one of the better school districts on LI is disingenuous. We have an OP who is moving here from France, who has received some recommendations from friends or associates pointing to PJ and Three Village -- apparently they are getting their information from somewhere more reliable than an anonymous internet forum.

AndreaII is correct -- what you're implying in your earlier posts smacks of slander.

You have a house to sell, so naturally, you would be inclined to recommend the area in which you're selling over another in which you have no financial interest. The OP should be aware of this.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,339 times
My house is sold. No financial interest involved. I'm not saying you can't call me on something. I said, you can't be so nasty about it without me calling you on it. The OP will do well at 3V or Port Jeff. He can look into any of these issues when he comes to look for a house.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
My house is sold. No financial interest involved. I'm not saying you can't call me on something. I said, you can't be so nasty about it without me calling you on it. The OP will do well at 3V or Port Jeff. He can look into any of these issues when he comes to look for a house.
Congrats on the quick sale! Have you found a new place in Westchester?

I don't believe AndreaII was nasty at all. She was pointing out that you were making a statement based upon hearsay. You moved here within the past 2 years from another state, were new to LI, went by what you heard and repeated it. If you had actually spent some time with the students, with their friends and families, you would have known differently. You have insulted those of us who live here and who are, or who have raised, intelligent, productive children who have thrived in the schools -- you might not have realized this, perhaps it was not your intention, but you did.

You don't read any of us slamming Mount Sinai schools, insinuating that the kids drink and do drugs (which you and I both know there are Mount Sinai kids doing.)

My hope is that the OP will find a good fit wherever they opt to live.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Try going on the Coldwell Banker website in East Setauket and taking a look at their house rentals. It's Real Estate Listings & Homes for Sale | Real Estate Agent Search | Coldwell Banker or google it for East Setauket. There should be a complete MLS listing of rentals in the Three Village area.

Oftentimes, a Real Estate broker/agent, as well as the MLSLI.com, lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:32 AM

128 posts, read 340,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Bienvenue

Il y n' a pas beaucoup de francais ici.

If your nine year old attended school in France, she will be ahead of her public school American peers.
Where did you come up with that? France lags the US, atleast in reading . http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009039.pdf

Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 13,074 times
Dear All
I just want to thank all of you for this very interesting exchange
I wil keep reading this from here
Any new hints will be welcome to have a flawor of living in LI.
Some hints about the cost of living for a 5 persons family will be great
Regards
Mourad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island