Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:41 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,900,884 times

Advertisements

^ the crosswalk in question is not one that runs parallel to the stop line, directly in front of it. It is on the road perpendicular to it, drawn on the road in which you're turning onto (which is the whole point of stopping before the right lane must turn right). As the overlay shows (yes that example that I happened to import), Roosevelt Field's white line is not any further back from the perpendicular crosswalk than the one I threw on top of it (a non-RLC intersection). We are not comparing with any crosswalk that doesn't exist at Roosevelt Field, but the one that does. Its stop line distance from the crosswalk is very much the same, and NOT arbitrary.

People get dinged by this RLC because they treat it like a yield since they see the triangle perhaps and go by familiarity. There obviously is a sign, and yet ignorance is still not an excuse - I think someone already said this. All this time I haven't asked you what you assume the white line means if it's out of place. Do you simply skip it if you're not sure? Haha. They don't understand what a white line or the obvious sign says - and you're the one picking on people who supposedly can't read. You're the one claiming the stop lines are not necessary. You're the one asking for *specificity* in signage yet say that you know to stop just before a crosswalk and *assume* everyone else does without the help of a marker. It's simply easier for everyone to obey a pre-existing law regardless of monitoring.

You're grasping at straws at this point. The line is there, the sign is there (hurting revenue no less). You could've just stopped at your "mic drop" post from last night. You know, you tried to call me out on a supposed "immature" attempt at doing that in the other thread and missed the irony there too.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-17-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:54 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
People get dinged by it because they treat it like a yield since they see the triangle perhaps and go by familiarity. Ignorance is not an excuse. All this time I haven't asked you what you assume the white line means if it's out of place. Do you simply skip it if you're not sure? Haha. They don't understand what a white line or the obvious sign says - and you're the one picking on people who supposedly can't read.
This is *exactly* my point. This intersection is unlike others and people go by familiarity because the signage does not make it clear where you have to stop. A sign that says "stop here on red" would make it clear that people have to stop at this particular place unlike other familiar intersections.

And you're right. Ignorance is not an excuse and those who go past the line without stopping first should be ticketed. But should the County be in the business of reducing the number of ignorant people by putting in clear signs indicating where you have to stop (and increase safety) or capitalize on that ignorance by just installing a camera (and increase revenue)?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to identify all of these other intersections without red light cameras where the white line is set 20 feet back from the crosswalk.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:11 PM

^ why do you keep talking like there's still no sign telling people to stop there?

Quote:
Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to identify all of these other intersections without red light cameras where the white line is set 20 feet back from the crosswalk.
Keep waiting, because the whole point of the overlay was to show RF's line wasn't arbitrarily drawn anywhere they wanted, by comparing with the perpendicular crosswalk. And it does exactly that.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:50 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Quote:
^ why do you keep talking like there's still no sign telling people to stop there?
There isn't.

Quote:
Keep waiting, because the whole point of the overlay was to show RF's line wasn't arbitrarily drawn anywhere they wanted, by comparing with the perpendicular crosswalk. And it does exactly that.
Way to substantiate your claim. Like most other intersections, the one you posted has a stop line within 5 feet of the crosswalk and is uniform across. In other words, totally unlike this intersection.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:09 AM

Once again.

You need help.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 AM

20,102 posts, read 20,910,392 times
What we really need are turn signal cameras.
Did I miss a memo or something. Didn't know it became AGAINST the law to use your blinker.
Why doesn't anybody signal anymore?
Is it that hard to hit that little lever located 2.5 inches away? Really?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:25 AM

^ yup another peeve of mine.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times
3 people on my block have gotten hit for the same intersection in Suffolk..I've seen the videos. They all have spotless driving records. No cop in their right mind would be giving tickets for these "offences"..they are stopping, rolling forward to see if there is traffic coming, and then turning legally on red. This has nothing to do with safety. Do you know that the county does not even administer the program? It is run by Xerox at no cost to the county, they just get their cut. A law enforcement official does not make the determination to charge you, and Xerox doesn't have to appear in court to defend itself. Everyone should be voting against any county legislator who supports these cameras. They are a money grab, pure and simple.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM

537 posts, read 1,449,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
3 people on my block have gotten hit for the same intersection in Suffolk..I've seen the videos. They all have spotless driving records. No cop in their right mind would be giving tickets for these "offences"..they are stopping, rolling forward to see if there is traffic coming, and then turning legally on red. This has nothing to do with safety. Do you know that the county does not even administer the program? It is run by Xerox at no cost to the county, they just get their cut. A law enforcement official does not make the determination to charge you, and Xerox doesn't have to appear in court to defend itself. Everyone should be voting against any county legislator who supports these cameras. They are a money grab, pure and simple.

And rolling is breaking the law. Try doing that during a road test. Guaranteed fail. If it's a fail for the road test you definitely deserve the ticket.

The proper course of action is to approach the intersection. STOP prior to the intersection. Then after a complete stop you can roll towards the intersection to look for oncoming traffic. Depending on traffic you may have to stop again, but this time you will be in compliance of the law.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:59 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
And rolling is breaking the law. Try doing that during a road test. Guaranteed fail. If it's a fail for the road test you definitely deserve the ticket.

The proper course of action is to approach the intersection. STOP prior to the intersection. Then after a complete stop you can roll towards the intersection to look for oncoming traffic. Depending on traffic you may have to stop again, but this time you will be in compliance of the law.

They are still giving tickets for stops less than 3 seconds. These people are stopping. Obviously the county has been asking them to ramp it up to close a loophole or something because this camera has been there for a few years and none of these people have been ticketed before, and their driving habits haven't changed one bit.

It's a money grab and it's shameful.

What's happening at this intersection now is that some people just aren't making right turns on red because they've obviously been burned multiple times. I went through it yesterday and noticed people with turn signals on waiting for green to turn. So now we are backing traffic up..and I'm sure this is why they are ramping up tickets for very questionable incidences, because so many people are aware of it and revenue from this intersection is falling.

You or someone you know will get burned too, and then look back on your arrogance here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island