Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,622 times

Advertisements

I just got a ticket in the mail and as far as I can tell, the red light camera took a picture of me doing a legal right on red!? Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?
I'm concerned because it's a route I travel several times a week and I don't want another ticket. But apart from the (illegal) plate covers is there anything to do apart from sitting there at the light and not making a right until it turns green? It's a busy intersection and I can imagine all the drivers behind me going crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
I just got a ticket in the mail and as far as I can tell, the red light camera took a picture of me doing a legal right on red!? Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?
I'm concerned because it's a route I travel several times a week and I don't want another ticket. But apart from the (illegal) plate covers is there anything to do apart from sitting there at the light and not making a right until it turns green? It's a busy intersection and I can imagine all the drivers behind me going crazy!
Did you make the legal right on red at the same time the light turned red? (I am assuming that is when the cameras go off.) If so, it sounds like they just mail these things out without even looking at them. You will need to plead "not guilty" and bring the ticket and pic before a judge, I am afraid.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:55 PM

138 posts, read 492,003 times
the notice may have a link to website to see video of the 'infraction'.

i know someone who disputed their ticket (vebally, not officially), but the video did confirm that the car did NOT come to a full stop prior to turning at the red.

annoying to get such a ticket, but the video evidence at least takes away some of the doubt associated with it.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM

^^^
Good point. Did you come to a full stop before turning, gk90?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Lol, your not going beat it like you thought you beat the light

Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
It's my understanding that red light tickets for making a right on red are issued when motorists do not come to a complete stop before making the right. When a red light camera takes a picture of someone going through the light is is transmitted to a control center where a human makes a determination about whether or not to issue a summons.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
Where are all of these cameras located?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:54 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Its possible that it could be an intersection in which it was previously legal to make the turn on red, and now it its illegal and you did not know. However, I do agree with the other posters. It is illegal to make a turn on red without making a complete stop. That is likely the culprit.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its possible that it could be an intersection in which it was previously legal to make the turn on red, and now it its illegal and you did not know. However, I do agree with the other posters. It is illegal to make a turn on red without making a complete stop. That is likely the culprit.
In Nassau County, wherever it is illegal to make a right on red, there is a big sign letting people know that says, "No Turn on Red."

Don't they do this in Suffolk also?

How can he NOT know it's illegal if there is a sign?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In Nassau County, wherever it is illegal to make a right on red, there is a big sign letting people know that says, "No Turn on Red."

Don't they do this in Suffolk also?

How can he NOT know it's illegal if there is a sign?
They have the same in Suffolk. I do think the more likely scenario is that he probably didn't come to a complete stop.

I was just pointing out that it was possible, something may have changed and he didn't notice. For example, Great Neck Road (heading NW) at 110 in East Farmingdale, it use to be legal to make a right turn on red. A few months ago, it was changed and became illegal. Someone that was passing by that fairly frequently and making the right turn, might have been so use to the way it was, they may not have noticed the new sign when it first went up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island