Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times

Advertisements

TV is a non issue for me, however my wife likes FIOS TV better. I like FIOS internet, its way faster, but I currently have CV, what it all comes down to is $$$. Who is giving me a better deal? I've been playing them against eachother for my $$ and their 'new' customer pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 PM

407 posts, read 967,235 times
I've had my issues with Cablevision over the years, but really have to say that their product and service has been very good for the last few years. They come when they were supposed to and fixed what needed to be fixed. I don't have their phone service, but do have it at work and it has been very reliable.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Wow thanks for the heads up, we just moved from Queens and currently have no cable, internet, etc. yet.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I lived with Cablevision for decades until FIOS became available. Don't get me wrong, FIOS is not without its bugs as any new service can be - especially with respect to billing; Verizon is notoriously lousy with giving you a consistent bill.

That being said, FIOS is a superior product in nearly every way. Faster, more reliable, non-shared internet that doesn't get speed capped; higher quality television with better equipment (though not by much on the equipment front), faster tuning, more features; far more professional and competent installers (CV uses dodgy subcontractors that will throw cable over the peak of your roof if left to their own devices); more competent tech support; more room for future expansion due to the higher quality of the infrastructure.

Moreover, Verizon's business model doesn't depend on screwing their customers, paying off towns, mismanaging two sports teams, trying to halt development in NYC and other shady business practices ala the Dolan family who own CV. You had to have CV in the 80s and 90s to appreciate how poorly they used to treat customers when they were the only game in town.

By and large, I find that the people who prefer CV are the slower, dumber segment of the population that just wants to watch TV and doesn't appreciate the superior quality that FIOS offers. They are put off by billing issues or their own incompetence in using the equipment ("THIS IS NOT WHAT I'M USED TO!!!!"). Ever read an online restaurant review and there's someone complaining that their child was not able to order chicken fingers at a fancy establishment? That's the average CV fan.

What an arrogant imbecile. I can't stand Cablevision as a company, but I have had no issues with their service for the last 10 years short of the recent price increases. Apples to apples my quotes to switch to FIOS bring the cost much higher. Unless you are doing massive file sharing cable internet is plenty fast. I had Verizon DSL in Brooklyn and their billing and customer service were nightmares. Talk about "the only game in town," in NYC they were Ma Bell and had a monopoly for close to a century. They are barely making a dent in Time Warner's market now. And, oh yeah, instead of sports teams, they manage properties, monopolize infrastructure backbone lines so 3rd party providers MUST jack up costs to the end user AND rely on Verizon to show up for repairs. Verizon's stranglehold on NYC is one of THE REASONS for the deregulation in the first place. People could not get away from them fast enough and THEY STILL own all the underground conduits that they reluctantly lease to better providers. They had to be forced to do it BY FEDERAL LAW and much of your money goes to lobbyists to fight competition. Better the money should go to sports teams.

You seem to only see it from a LI perspective which means you've only been with Verizon for a few years tops (since they implemented FIOS here). You clearly don't know much about Verizon's history in NYC even though you sound like a shill for them and probably work for them. The competition is good for the consumer but the anti CV, pro VZ rhetoric is nonsense and calling CV customers "slower and dumber" is just asinine bull****.

As for their "superior quality," the hype isn't always as advertised. I keep cable because it works well, it's cheaper and I get the Rangers in high def. I understand the equipment just fine and unlike you, realize that none of these marketing behemoths can be believed. You started out with "Verizon is notoriously lousy" and went on to insult every cable subscriber. Way to go, jackass.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,785 times
Default Take a pill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
What an arrogant imbecile. I can't stand Cablevision as a company, but I have had no issues with their service for the last 10 years short of the recent price increases. Apples to apples my quotes to switch to FIOS bring the cost much higher. Unless you are doing massive file sharing cable internet is plenty fast. I had Verizon DSL in Brooklyn and their billing and customer service were nightmares. Talk about "the only game in town," in NYC they were Ma Bell and had a monopoly for close to a century. They are barely making a dent in Time Warner's market now. And, oh yeah, instead of sports teams, they manage properties, monopolize infrastructure backbone lines so 3rd party providers MUST jack up costs to the end user AND rely on Verizon to show up for repairs. Verizon's stranglehold on NYC is one of THE REASONS for the deregulation in the first place. People could not get away from them fast enough and THEY STILL own all the underground conduits that they reluctantly lease to better providers. They had to be forced to do it BY FEDERAL LAW and much of your money goes to lobbyists to fight competition. Better the money should go to sports teams.

You seem to only see it from a LI perspective which means you've only been with Verizon for a few years tops (since they implemented FIOS here). You clearly don't know much about Verizon's history in NYC even though you sound like a shill for them and probably work for them. The competition is good for the consumer but the anti CV, pro VZ rhetoric is nonsense and calling CV customers "slower and dumber" is just asinine bull****.

As for their "superior quality," the hype isn't always as advertised. I keep cable because it works well, it's cheaper and I get the Rangers in high def. I understand the equipment just fine and unlike you, realize that none of these marketing behemoths can be believed. You started out with "Verizon is notoriously lousy" and went on to insult every cable subscriber. Way to go, jackass.
Someone who disagrees with you isn't a shill. And, if your suspicion is right that this person is looking at it from a Long Island perspective, then there is no reason to further suspect that the person is being paid to produce his/her testimony.

Verizon on Long Island has an outstanding product. There are no two ways about that. Their service is God-awful. Some haven't complained, probably because they never negotiated a deal with them that caused them to get screwed and lied to. Or, their services never suffered any outages.

I'd still have Verizon if my DVR had worked and they had gotten my bill straight. Frankly, I'd prefer to have Verizon. Still, their service is just so atrocious that I settled for a poorer product. Since I've been with Optimum, I've had to call them three times (install and a DVR issue), and have been on and off the phone in 10 minutes each time. With Verizon, I'd wait ten minutes on hold to talk to and verify my personal information only the FIRST time, before being transferred laterally to someone in the same division (If I wasn't disconnected) for whom I had to once-again verify who I was, only to be transferred again. Calls rarely took less time than 30 minutes.

I wrote a letter to their president, which was forwarded to their "executive customer service." The woman I ultimately spoke with learned from me that I would have rather had no discount and kept their service than get the discount and have to call to request it every single month.

To hell with Verizon.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,785 times
Default I take that back...

Quote:

While much of what that guy said is accurate, there was clearly a tone to it that, when coupled with the writing quality, suggests to me too that it was written by someone at FIOS. And you are absolutely right - there are no glitches caused by being new to anything with Verizon. Verizon has been around in this business for a long time, under one name or another.

Sorry.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I wrote a letter to their president, which was forwarded to their "executive customer service." To hell with Verizon.

Better bet is to compain to the Public Service Commission - I did that once with Verizon and within days I had a rep on the phone giving me my own private # to call with any future problems. But by that time I'd given them the old heave-ho. Still, it might make you feel better to get one last jab in.

If we were staying here I'd be switching back to CV at the end of the summer when our contract is up. I've had enough of VZ billing shenanigans.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
While much of what that guy said is accurate, there was clearly a tone to it that, when coupled with the writing quality, suggests to me too that it was written by someone at FIOS. And you are absolutely right - there are no glitches caused by being new to anything with Verizon. Verizon has been around in this business for a long time, under one name or another.

Sorry.
No apology needed. I just found the poster's abusive tone to be foolish and uncalled for. I am with you. I would actually love to switch to FIOS for the faster internet and just to support the newer fiber optic technology, but I know they are not "superior" since it takes more than a supposedly "superior in every way product" to make for a good experience. Price, service, reliability are all a factor. Like someone said earlier about CV, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I tried to persuade FIOS to make it worth my while to change and they could care less, even after traipsing through my yard for weeks to pull fiber through the neighborhood. No decent incentive and a notoriously bad customer service record. Rangers in high def was the straw that broke the came's back so maybe the poster is right about my low brow tastes!!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
I have had FIOs since feb and very very happy with everything , i just got a letter in the mail from CV saying they want me back and will pay 300 in termination fees and give me triple play with 3 boxes and 1 free dvr for 99 a month , i mentioned this to Verizon and they laughed . I just might sign with CV just so they can waste 300 to get me back then drop them after a month and go back to Verizon
you have to stay with them 6 months for that termination fee to get paid back to you. I got one of those door-to-door guys a few times. It would be a good way to get out of a FIOS contract though if you intend to move in 6 months.

Anyway, I've had billing issues with FIOS but never bad customer service - those issues get cleared up easily - and followed up via email. Their installers are courteous and actually came at the appointed time (and FIOS installs took all fricken day - they still did it with a smile). On more than one occasion CV had to credit my account for not showing up... imagine if I didn't work from home - that $35 (?) credit vs. used vacation days would've pissed me off. Many times I've also mentioned CV's business practices... have they even admitted to capping people yet? Why did that disappear when FIOS came on scene? They got so bad that I voluntarily went to an inferior Verizon DSL until FIOS arrived.

The only negative for FIOS for me is the $15/mo. in taxes... CV is $5/mo. Not a big deal for a superior product. I love watching CV beg for business. If they had been better to their customers even when they were the only game in town, I'd have more respect for them.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-12-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
What an arrogant imbecile.
Why is he an arrogant imbecile? It's his opinion and I happen to agree with it. Snooze 12 and Snoozeday are about as boring a media outlet as you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island