Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times

Advertisements

My 1st troll post. Just looking to watch everyone pull their popguns and go at it over VZ vs CV.

Had FIOS for 6 months. Wife and kid busted my b*lls everyday hating it. Fewer on demand offerings, box froze, modem off line once a day requiring a reboot and the coup de grace...charged $9.00 for a 2010 movie (Grown Ups) on demand! 9 effin bucks?!?! Are they mental? Cable giving me my 24hr Fight Now TV and horsey racing for Grandpa. More free and cheap movies for the kid and wife and as they say on here "happy wife, happy life."

So regale me about the better quality based on the # of gigaboogies and hertzendoodles VZ has over CV and how magically I'll have an extra 4 minutes of battery backup phone when the apocalypse hits. When the end times come I'll be watching the fight network for $5 bucks less a month and THAT's about how much I care about which uber-mega utility pipes in my TV and internet. 2 behemoth schmucky companies with awful customer service. It already feels better to NOT have a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Funny, those were my same complaints about CV before I switched. Maybe they stepped up their game? Keep us updated.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
No advice but I enjoyed the trolling!

We were going to go back to CV before we moved....I'd really had it with FIOS, glad I don't have to deal with either company anymore.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
My 1st troll post. Just looking to watch everyone pull their popguns and go at it over VZ vs CV.

Had FIOS for 6 months. Wife and kid busted my b*lls everyday hating it. Fewer on demand offerings, box froze, modem off line once a day requiring a reboot and the coup de grace...charged $9.00 for a 2010 movie (Grown Ups) on demand! 9 effin bucks?!?! Are they mental? Cable giving me my 24hr Fight Now TV and horsey racing for Grandpa. More free and cheap movies for the kid and wife and as they say on here "happy wife, happy life."

So regale me about the better quality based on the # of gigaboogies and hertzendoodles VZ has over CV and how magically I'll have an extra 4 minutes of battery backup phone when the apocalypse hits. When the end times come I'll be watching the fight network for $5 bucks less a month and THAT's about how much I care about which uber-mega utility pipes in my TV and internet. 2 behemoth schmucky companies with awful customer service. It already feels better to NOT have a contract.

You must have had an old/rebuilt box from Verizon. I've been with them since 2008 and we had only one minor issue in the beginning which was fixed. A few months ago my daughter's cable box crapped out and they gave us another one. It's ugly as sin--just a plain ol' big square black box, but it serves its purpose, which is the main thing. There's no way you paid $9 for a movie on demand. The HD rentals are $5.99 and standard rentals are $4.99. Older movies are usually around $2.99. Are you sure you didn't end up buying it? I've never seen a movie rental for $9. The one thing I do not like is their layout of the screen when you go to On-Demand. I do agree with you though about the "back up battery". That thing doesn't work. If you got 4 minutes out of it, that's 4 minutes more than what I've ever gotten lol

As for the lack of movies, I don't think it matters who the carrier is--Showtime, Cinemax, HBO, etc, all have the same programming whether you have FiOS, Optimum, TW or CV.

Everyone has their preference though. I happen to like it and I think they're less expensive than the others, especially when I had Time Warner when I lived in Queens. We did upgrade internet speed after Sandy but they had a special going on so it didn't cost anything extra. We usually have 2 laptops going, cell phones are on wi-fi and there's always at least 1 tv on. No issues with access or speed. Sometimes you catch the right person on the phone and they'll give you upgrades for no charge. A friend of mine had issues after Sandy and they kept giving her the run-around. She called them a few times and finally got someone who didn't read the script to her word for word and they took care of her billing issues and she received upgrades for no charge.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
You must have had an old/rebuilt box from Verizon.
Nope, new box. They claimed HDMI issue. Nope. They claimed coax issue. Nope. They claimed mystery. Yup.

Quote:
There's no way you paid $9 for a movie on demand. The HD rentals are $5.99 and standard rentals are $4.99. Older movies are usually around $2.99. Are you sure you didn't end up buying it? I've never seen a movie rental for $9. The one thing I do not like is their layout of the screen when you go to On-Demand. I do agree with you though about the "back up battery". That thing doesn't work. If you got 4 minutes out of it, that's 4 minutes more than what I've ever gotten lol
Really?

Notifications Verizon News Account Info Need To Know
Billed Events
Purchase Date Event Name Amount Source
06/28/2013 Grown Ups $9.00 TV : 00000xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote:
As for the lack of movies, I don't think it matters who the carrier is--Showtime, Cinemax, HBO, etc, all have the same programming whether you have FiOS, Optimum, TW or CV.
Actually I contacted VZ with EXACT examples of Disney new releases on CV that WERE NOT on demand on VZ but on "scheduled" program times (doesn't meet MY definition of ON DEMAND). Wouldn't ON DEMAND mean you can watch it when you want?! CV seems to have them available days in advance of VZ. VZ said they will escalate it to corporate but otherwise nothing they could do. "Is there anything else we can help you with today?" "Yes, do you have the # for Netflix?!"

Quote:
Everyone has their preference though. I happen to like it and I think they're less expensive than the others, especially when I had Time Warner when I lived in Queens. We did upgrade internet speed after Sandy but they had a special going on so it didn't cost anything extra. We usually have 2 laptops going, cell phones are on wi-fi and there's always at least 1 tv on. No issues with access or speed. Sometimes you catch the right person on the phone and they'll give you upgrades for no charge. A friend of mine had issues after Sandy and they kept giving her the run-around. She called them a few times and finally got someone who didn't read the script to her word for word and they took care of her billing issues and she received upgrades for no charge.
Had no issues with internet speeds with either. Even when downloading movies, etc (usually free which makes my wife paying 9 bucks for a piece o' dung movie even more annoying). I have more channels and a sports package w/ CV for $5 less per month (actually a few dollars more but way less tax and surcharges w/ CV) so the total is $5 less. Plus, no contract.

I'm sure they'll crap out too as they all do but FIOS was more hype than substance. At least not enough to live up to the teenage fan-girl rapture of many people who have it.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I think a lto of these technical issues are neighborhood to neighborhood, street to street, or houe to house.

I have never had an internet outage with Verizon FIOS except for a short period during the hurricane. I would have no internet access seemingly once per week with Cablevision, and that meant landline phones were dead also.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM

520 posts, read 1,653,562 times
Quote:
My 1st troll post.
Hahaha...That's a good one

Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Really?

Notifications Verizon News Account Info Need To Know
Billed Events
Purchase Date Event Name Amount Source
06/28/2013 Grown Ups $9.00 TV : 00000xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually I contacted VZ with EXACT examples of Disney new releases on CV that WERE NOT on demand on VZ but on "scheduled" program times (doesn't meet MY definition of ON DEMAND). Wouldn't ON DEMAND mean you can watch it when you want?! CV seems to have them available days in advance of VZ. VZ said they will escalate it to corporate but otherwise nothing they could do. "Is there anything else we can help you with today?" "Yes, do you have the # for Netflix?!"

I honestly don't know how you paid $9--that really stinks. Purchases are usually high like that but not rentals. Even if it was $2.99 I wouldn't pay because it's an old movie but are you sure you didn't purchase it on some kind of flex view?

But my only gripe is that their programming isn't great and I agree that the price of VOD's is crazy. We've seen them list much older movies for rent. We ended up subscribing to NetFlix. They don't have all the newest movies but if you like watching tv shows you can watch season upon season of different shows for $8 a month.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM

mongoose, do you know who did the purchase? They hit "flex view"--those are $9 each for standard view. I tried taking a screenshot but it's not working.

Grown Ups

[CENTER]
Buy

Multi Screen Ready Enjoy this movie on all these devices
About Flex View
[/CENTER]

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
mongoose, do you know who did the purchase? They hit "flex view"--those are $9 each for standard view. I tried taking a screenshot but it's not working.

Grown Ups

[CENTER]
Buy

Multi Screen Ready Enjoy this movie on all these devices
About Flex View
[/CENTER]
Who do you think?! The wife. Oy vay. Best is now my kid said "it's only nine dollars!!" So I started yelling about how she can't teach him the value of money cause she doesn't know how to handle money. Me: "don't cry to me when there's no heat...that $9 bucks buy 2 1/2 gallons of oil for the tank!" UGH. I'M MY OWN GRANDFATHER NOW!!!!!

Still, VZ is complicit for even offering it for that amount. Dirtbags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island