Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud One View Post
I was born in and still reside in Hempstead. The local Republican party can & should take the blame for Hempstead Village's ills. They were always in power until just recently. As Newsday recently wrote, though the village has the highest unemployment rate in the county, the incorporated village has the fewest number of village residents as employees. Why is this? Because although the mayor is a Democrat, the jobs are still handed out by the Republican Party. I bet no other jurisdiction has this inequity, save for possibly Garden City, whose village workers are paid by but don't reside in Garden City village. Yes, Hempstead has its problems, but look at Newsday's mugshots gallery. There are people there from EVERY village, of EVERY ethnic & economic background & for an assortment of crimes.
That's just silly. The reason for ALL of Hempstead's problems is that it's tiny village government is part of a Republican conspiracy to deny local residents jobs in favor of their people, who aren't even in control anymore? I highly doubt the Village of Hempstead is even the largest employer within Hempstead, so the math doesn't really add up there. Plus, if you're counting on government jobs to provide for the absolute best and brightest of your community, I'd say you're aiming your sights pretty low.

I have no doubt that Hempstead is handing out jobs to cronies left and right, but that also occurs literally EVERYWHERE ELSE on Long Island, and in New York and on earth. Some of the east end villages don't even conduct official local administration within Suffolk County - all employees are Manhattan residents. If your theory is correct, shouldn't places like Sagaponack have the same problems as Hempstead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 17,786 times
can someone tell me anything about parsons dr and front street in hempstead, im planning to move there from brooklyn. is it a safe area? PLEASE someone help, im planning to have kids in the future and i dont want to move from bad to worst

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 16,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
That's just silly. The reason for ALL of Hempstead's problems is that it's tiny village government is part of a Republican conspiracy to deny local residents jobs in favor of their people, who aren't even in control anymore? I highly doubt the Village of Hempstead is even the largest employer within Hempstead, so the math doesn't really add up there. Plus, if you're counting on government jobs to provide for the absolute best and brightest of your community, I'd say you're aiming your sights pretty low.

I have no doubt that Hempstead is handing out jobs to cronies left and right, but that also occurs literally EVERYWHERE ELSE on Long Island, and in New York and on earth. Some of the east end villages don't even conduct official local administration within Suffolk County - all employees are Manhattan residents. If your theory is correct, shouldn't places like Sagaponack have the same problems as Hempstead?
That's just it. They ARE in control! Republicans control the jobs in the village. The village government doesn't have to provide for the best & brightest, but MOST of the jobs should be held by village residents. That's not the case. The prior administrations for as far back as I can remember, were all Republican. They always wanted to take the credit for everything. They can take the blame too. The school district might be the largest employer, but that's political too.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 16,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godson1 View Post
can someone tell me anything about parsons dr and front street in hempstead, im planning to move there from brooklyn. is it a safe area? PLEASE someone help, im planning to have kids in the future and i dont want to move from bad to worst
It's a nice area. Right by the golf course & country club. Parsons Drive and parallel streets on the west side of Front have nice homes. On the opposite (east) side of front are smaller, older homes (St. Paul's).

Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
... im planning to have kids in the future and i dont want to move from bad to worst
Were you planning on sending your kids to private school?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 AM

330 posts, read 726,359 times
Quote:

I looked at a house over there. It's a nice area, it's pretty secluded and sort of separate from the rest of the area. The houses tend to be more expensive there and the taxes a little higher.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:18 PM

584 posts, read 871,719 times
Quote:
That is a very well kept area near the golf course. the homes are nice and its near shopping center. If you have children they have several elementary charter schools that are fantastic I have a daughter who attends the academy and she is in 1st grade reading on 3rd grade level. the village elementary school is good also, but here is when it gets tough; the middle school. I am not please with the middle and high school. the kids aren't performing academically as should be. I am pushing for a middle and high school charter.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud One View Post
That's just it. They ARE in control! Republicans control the jobs in the village. The village government doesn't have to provide for the best & brightest, but MOST of the jobs should be held by village residents. That's not the case. The prior administrations for as far back as I can remember, were all Republican. They always wanted to take the credit for everything. They can take the blame too. The school district might be the largest employer, but that's political too.
I think you may be confusing the Republican dominated TOWN of Hempstead - something that covers a huge area including where I live - with the much smaller VILLAGE of Hempstead.

Personally, I'd also like to see Long Island's smaller governments hire locally when possible (some of them actually do have residence requirements) - but that's not something that is going to make or break an area. Not by a long shot. Hempstead has a myriad of problems that go back several decades... not all caused by village residents, but in many cases - certainly not helped by village residents either.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Proud One, adding to what sean sean sean sean has just posted:

It is important to know that there are 3 "Hempsteads" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Village of Hempstead (2,327 acres);

2. There is the "Hempstead, NY 11550" ZIP Code postal zone (2,652 acres), and it includes the Village of Hempstead and parts of 2 other adjacent hamlets within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Hempstead (89,688 acres), and it includes 22 villages and 36 hamlets as well as the "Hempstead, NY 11550" ZIP Code postal zone and all or parts of 34 other ZIP Code postal zones, within its borders.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
That's a really nice area The SD is your only problem. Too bad it's not zoned for West Hempstead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island