Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:15 PM

57 posts, read 166,600 times

Advertisements

I am so appalled to see all these threads bashing teachers. Y'all need some perspective. Most teachers make well under 100k, so blaming them for the economic trouble we are facing in is ludicrous. Why would anyone bright want to go into teaching if society holds them in such low regard? A good teacher works exhaustively to provide the best instruction for their students. That includes grading student work after school (no teachers don't put aside all work after the bell rings) and completing professional development over the summer. Teachers are required by law to complete 175 hours of professional development every 5 years. If you can read this, thank a teacher because only those who can, teach.

Please write about your favorite LI teachers and how they impacted you or your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
I'm positively tired of the "its for the children, they work so hard" excuse.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 PM
grant516

n/a posts
A teacher may work a semester, a year, or more on you... but that is an investment you can appreciate for a lifetime.

Plus lord knows anyone who deals with little kids or teenagers all day has to have some nerve about them.

God bless America's educators.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
agreed.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:41 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times
I'd like to give propers to teachers who operate in a non-profit oriented sector managed largely by corporate morons and their business models. I appreciate the teachers who manage to teach when there are 1000s of mandates and enormous chunks of time eaten by transitioning.

I think it is time we appreciate when a school district can place its students well, despite the rich parents yanking their kids out and bailing on the school board and the PTA. Publics are the only ones equipped to deal with myriad special needs, and so take and teach all the scraps that the privates refuse to teach - because they cost too much and the parents don't like to tolerate "redistributionism."

Long Island Teachers, kick these Tea Partiers right in their tea bags.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
My daughter is in 3rd grade at one of Lindenhurst's elementary schools(Rall). My wife and I think her teacher is absolutley awesome. She is alwayts coming home talking about how Mrs S. does this, or how Mrs S. taught us that, or whatnot.
4 teachers in that school so far, and 3 of the 4 were great!
Last week was the schools annual Spring Exibit, where each class does a project, and its an open house where parents and families can see what the kids have done. I look forward to it every year.
This year we scoped out all the 4th grade classrooms, hope that teacher is as great as this years.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Positive and beyond the call:

One elementary school teacher called my home around 8 PM one night to tell me my son was starting to gravitate toward 2 boys who were known trouble-makers. She said he was a good student with a lot of potential, and told me that she wanted to help me avoid problems.

She didn't have to say anything and could have let things fall by the wayside. She was a caring individual who became a teacher for all the right reasons.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
my 3 kids are having a wonderful school year-the teachers are in touch with us and challenging-if every year were like this i would be thrilled-

some of the long island teacher bashers need to go to other parts of this country and see how wonderful the education is here-

also, teachers are required to have college, graduate school, post graduate school, and continuing education. how many "jobs" require that? actually, teaching is not a job-its a profession and it deserves more respect that it gets from most on this board-

for those who continually bash-if its such an easy job why dont you go and get the required education and do it better-

Old 05-23-2010, 09:55 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
my 3 kids are having a wonderful school year-the teachers are in touch with us and challenging-if every year were like this i would be thrilled-

some of the long island teacher bashers need to go to other parts of this country and see how wonderful the education is here-

also, teachers are required to have college, graduate school, post graduate school, and continuing education. how many "jobs" require that? actually, teaching is not a job-its a profession and it deserves more respect that it gets from most on this board-

for those who continually bash-if its such an easy job why dont you go and get the required education and do it better-
I was going to say something positive about one of my teachers, then I read this. Here we go again with another why teachers deserve better than others. Now, when I think about it, this thread is stupid because no matter how great a few teachers are, it doesn't take away the economic reality and hardship we're facing. Teachers seem to think they deserve to be exempt from it. And, I have been to two other states besides here, and the education was just as good at half the cost. Maybe LI teachers should go to other areas and learn how to do more with less, and that LI teaching jobs are an exception compared to majority of the country. Sorry for the interruption. You can continue with the ego boosting.

Last edited by jasminescent; 05-23-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 PM

577 posts, read 979,450 times
Yes there are some great teachers out there. There are also some very average teachers and some that have no business being in front of a classroom. Having said that, there is absolutely no justification for the obscene salaries and benefits they are getting for working about 160 days a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island