Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:35 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to LA to become rich and famous....

In all seriousness, have done some local modeling and acting and am seriously considering the move to start my life. I have a few connections in LA at E! and a few tiny agencies, but I'm still very naive and honestly clueless as to where to start.

I'm a early 20s male not from SoCal (obviously 1 out of a million in LA) and things are kind of getting started for me...

I know in an LA thread this is probably seen all the time, and I'm sure there are plenty of eyes rolling, but this is a serious question about agencies, head shots, auditions, etc...

Anybody have any tips, advice, do's and don'ts? Please, no need for harrassment or anything like that to give me a hard time. I know it's a long-shot, but I think it's finally time where I can do something with my talents and mediocrly good looks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 PM

12 posts, read 53,342 times
Look here: Message Board Homepage - Powered by Social Strata

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Duluth to LA will be a big jump, but life is an adventure!

Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post

In all seriousness, have done some local modeling and acting and am seriously considering the move to start my life. I have a few connections in LA at E! and a few tiny agencies, but I'm still very naive and honestly clueless as to where to start.

I'm a early 20s male not from SoCal (obviously 1 out of a million in LA) and things are kind of getting started for me...

I know in an LA thread this is probably seen all the time, and I'm sure there are plenty of eyes rolling, but this is a serious question about agencies, head shots, auditions, etc...

Anybody have any tips, advice, do's and don'ts? Please, no need for harrassment or anything like that to give me a hard time. I know it's a long-shot, but I think it's finally time where I can do something with my talents and mediocrly good looks...
No harrassment intended, but you admit you are niave, until you know exactly what to expect (if that is possible) and know what you are doing, plus have a hell of a lot of money saved to live on and to make those connections you had better stay where you are. This isn't meant to put you down, it is simply trying to make you realize what you are up against, coming from MN to Los Angeles. If you do have some connections, you need to ask them for their honest advise. Also stay with the small agencies. The big ones consintrate on those who are somewhat established or have a great profile to present.

Nita

Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM

58 posts, read 205,447 times
Quote:

I think you already know that you are one out of tens of thousands coming to the city every year for just that. So no need to start educating you about the odds again

I've been living here for 1.5 years now (as an MBA student and not a model or an actor) but for some reason most of my friends are in the entertainment business - many failed actors, but also semi-successful models (e.g. for A&F) and at least rather successful agents etc.

What's your experience level? What have you done so far at home? What's your education, what makes you so special? What are your actual goals (rich & famous is no goal, just as "some modleing & acting" is none) - you have to be specific and really know what you are trying to get into and what kind of people you want to get in touch with. Don't bet on being discovered in a mall by someone who will figure it all out you. There are hundreds of thousands in the LA area that end up as "starving artists"... always keep that in mind. Don't let it discourage you, but keep it as reminder in your head that you are dealing with A LOT of competition for relatively few jobs.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:14 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich View Post
for some reason most of my friends are in the entertainment business - many failed actors,
It takes the average actor ten years to make a career in LA, so unless your friends have actually dropped out completely, and are calling themselves "failed actors" I wouldn't call them that - they're most likely just in the beginning stages of a very long process - which can look and feel a lot like failure at times, but isn't neccesarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich View Post
What are your actual goals (rich & famous is no goal, just as "some modleing & acting" is none)
Actually I would disagree - wanting to be rich and famous is the only goal for many many people in LA - and in fact reality TV attracts many with that goal.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Exploit your "connections". I don't mean that in a bad way, but connections are always going to be important so make those people your new bff's and see if they can help you out with some kind of a job or a place to live. Once you get here and have a job that pays for food and rent you can spend more time on trying to become rich a famous. Or you may find that food service or office work is as far as it's ever going to go. If you have a college degree maybe you can even find a job in whatever your field of study was. Many people live here, and enjoy it, without being famous or rich and not connected to the entertainment industry in any way. Only you can decide if that's acceptable though.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:20 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:

Just because you're the *ish in your little hometown doesn't mean a thing in cities like LA and NYC. Thousands of "good looking" folks like you come here every year only to find that there are others either equally as attractive or better looking. It can crush the ego if you're weak.

Hopefully, your contacts will be able to hook you up if you really are that "special one".

Fame is so fleeting. Maybe you'll get lucky and get on some stupid mindless reality TV show or something.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Just because you're the *ish in your little hometown doesn't mean a thing in cities like LA and NYC. Thousands of "good looking" folks like you come here every year only to find that there are others either equally as attractive or better looking. It can crush the ego if you're weak.

Hopefully, your contacts will be able to hook you up if you really are that "special one".

Fame is so fleeting. Maybe you'll get lucky and get on some stupid mindless reality TV show or something.
I'm not the 'ish' at all, just asking questions. This isn't some pipe dream that I'm exploring through a forum.

I have been in over 20 plays and a few commercials and promotional paper print ads and such, so It's not like I have no clue as to what I'm doing. I just wanted some responses from a few who maybe have done the move and have tips as to what to avoid and where to start.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciated it

PS, my 'Rich and Famous' comment was a total joke too.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Quote:

I can explain how to become rich and I can show you how to become famous.
But rich and famous..man that's a tall order!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles