Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times

Advertisements

Looking for some help. Was offered a job in Santa Monica and am seriously considering it. I currently live in a very safe suburb of Chicago and have lived here all my life. Am a single working mom---daughter is in highschool.

What is Santa Monica really like? How is crime/safety? I hear the high school is very good...is that true?

Any comments are truly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 65,635 times
santa monica is considered a safe upscale neighborhood but there are some parts of it that are safer than others. i've lived here for many years and like everywhere in this city things have changed. it's a great place to live for any outdoors activities obviously, shopping, etc. if you'll be working here than it will make the commute that much less of a hassle when you live here. that's never a bad thing when you live in a city with traffic as horrendous as ours. though i didn't have a child attend samohi (santa monica high school), i've heard it's very good and have friends who kids went there who are now college age and beyond. fee free to PM me with any other questions and i'd be glad to try to help you.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Santa Monica is a great city and safe but also very expensive. Better check on the cost of renting; it probably is quite a bit higher than Chicago. But Santa Monica offers to much to do like the beach

Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

25 posts, read 78,513 times
The high school is okay for a public school, but Beverly Hills, La Canada, and San Marino are much better. Many people opt for private school.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
housing budget?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
SM is expensive .... but keep in mind, that just because the job is in SM, doesn't mean you have to live here. You can find less expensive housing a few blocks away in incorporated city of LA, etc.

SMPD is great (much better than LAPD). SMFire is great, medics are thru a contract company (Gerber).

I (personally) wouldn't want kids in SaMo hi... but thats just me. There are bad parts of SM, and great parts ... but thankfully the PD doesn't mess around.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 PM

830 posts, read 2,861,593 times
You need to look at what you'll be making in Santa Monica versus Chicago and compare the costs of living. I'm not sure how much higher SM is than Chicago, but you can find it online. That will determine what you can afford in rent and where you can afford to live. Then go from there.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 AM

48 posts, read 188,526 times
Santa Monica as a whole is pricey -- more like Lincoln Park/Near North Side -- price-wise and attitude. Though you do not have to live in Santa Monica as mentioned. Santa Monica has very heavy pockets of traffic congestion during rush hours near the business districts. And to commute to Santa Monica is not easy, especially with major reconstruction of the 405 freeway. I would really focus in on finances and housing/auto expenses and what are you exchanging for your current state of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles