Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 50,925 times

Advertisements

I would like any info on gang activity in East L.A.
Is it organizied as in huge groups with a hiearchy?
Do they profit hugely from their activity?
How many gangs are their in East L.A.

I would like to gain as much knowledge about the Latino community and how it interact with the gang activity in East L.A.

Thanks so much for your help!

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 08:49 AM

58 posts, read 408,686 times
You might want to 'google' Los Angeles gangs. I know one time I saw a very large website that included a map of gangs in different areas, and all sorts of information about them.

I would say that my 'street smarts' tell me that when I come upon gang members in my work or while out and about I don't stare at the members, and I am polite as I would be with anyone. In my work I do come across many people who appear to be in gangs, and I treat them as kindly as I would treat a friend but then in my job I can do that as we're not in an adversarial relationship. I have never had a problem, and I've driven through some rough parts of town, and many there appear to be in gangs. (in the daytime) I would also recommend reading the book called Do or Die, which about gangs in Los Angeles.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:41 AM

179 posts, read 921,545 times
what are you a cop? i'll never... oh wait... it's you... it would be best to say that they are not active and mostly just tag. i haven't heard of a gang shooting in two years, and that was a retaliation for some drug thingy. It's mostly the young ones (10-14 year olds) that get uppity and are smacked down by older gang members.

One of the things about the gang members in the area (in general) is that everyone knows everyone in someway, even if you aren't in a gang. Over the years to me it seems to have been shifted from heirchey to family. But it's late and i'm lucid.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Person View Post
You might want to 'google' Los Angeles gangs. I know one time I saw a very large website that included a map of gangs in different areas, and all sorts of information about them.

I would say that my 'street smarts' tell me that when I come upon gang members in my work or while out and about I don't stare at the members, and I am polite as I would be with anyone. In my work I do come across many people who appear to be in gangs, and I treat them as kindly as I would treat a friend but then in my job I can do that as we're not in an adversarial relationship. I have never had a problem, and I've driven through some rough parts of town, and many there appear to be in gangs. (in the daytime) I would also recommend reading the book called Do or Die, which about gangs in Los Angeles.
SoCal,

Thanks, for the advice about the the book, I shall research it. I have already done a lot of research on East L.A and gangs. Academia can only provide so much. I like to get my information from the only true source, the people.

Thanks,
Diane

Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
what are you a cop? i'll never... oh wait... it's you... it would be best to say that they are not active and mostly just tag. i haven't heard of a gang shooting in two years, and that was a retaliation for some drug thingy. It's mostly the young ones (10-14 year olds) that get uppity and are smacked down by older gang members.

One of the things about the gang members in the area (in general) is that everyone knows everyone in someway, even if you aren't in a gang. Over the years to me it seems to have been shifted from heirchey to family. But it's late and i'm lucid.
Abstrak,

You are so funny!!!

I would say no!!! I am not a cop!!! But I did work in the Criminal Justice area for years in a law capacity and on both sides which is the best way do do it.

The stress was to much for me..My kindness to other people was my down fall. I have seen to many ugly, horrible, disgusting things happen in the little city where I grew up. And that is why I swithched careers, no emotional drain in coding a program.

Well, I need to discuss this further with you when I get to this part of my book.

But when you spoke of the shift to family would say that it has been multigenerational. Could I say that a legacy of ( gang activity has been passed down to a son or sons? Of course my book is fiction but I want it to be as factual as it can be. Could I also say that so called dynasty( for a lack of better words) has generated a lot of money, and is responsible for a lavish lifestyle of a gang member. I'm all about the facts!!!

I know it all sounds stupid but I really want to write this book! All give you credit if you want!!!

Thanks!

Diane

Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 AM

oh no.... you can't be kind to someone in L.A. Not to get to the point of being cruel, but if you start getting kind to one person, then another and another.... Eventually you gotta stand up for your self. Which personally is why i think all those people coming out here for a movie career fail.

Um... on the family thing. I can only speak from what i saw. So here goes (i could write my own book if i went in to details).

My families (mother and father sides) moved out here back in the 20s. They did their thing for family and country and we envolved in the Zoot Suit riots. But they were middle class hard working steal workers. Military and all that, but not in the battle area, for what ever reason. Durring the Korean war, etc, etc.

Now then, that's my grandparent's stories. My uncles, both directly related and otherwise were both involved in the military, gangs and the 1960s walk outs at Rosevelt highschool (amoung other schools). Not all of them where gang members, but alot where, including my father, but my grandmother kicked his ass. heh. Eventually, they all realized how ****ed up gang life was and raised their kids to love education, though not all did. But now you get your ass kicked if you don't educate your self.

So for some, the gang way is a life style, But for most that i know, bettering your self is the current goal. Even if it's within the gang, it has changed to something more meaningful then just shooting someone to gain respect. After all, everything changes after you have kids.

The gang life style that i think you are thinking of is more akin to the drug dealers and not the gangs of them self.

And for the record, i've never been a gang member. And they've never bothered me.

Gang member: "Where you from?"
me: "my mama."
Gang member: **walks away**

Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
oh no.... you can't be kind to someone in L.A. Not to get to the point of being cruel, but if you start getting kind to one person, then another and another.... Eventually you gotta stand up for your self. Which personally is why i think all those people coming out here for a movie career fail.

Um... on the family thing. I can only speak from what i saw. So here goes (i could write my own book if i went in to details).

My families (mother and father sides) moved out here back in the 20s. They did their thing for family and country and we envolved in the Zoot Suit riots. But they were middle class hard working steal workers. Military and all that, but not in the battle area, for what ever reason. Durring the Korean war, etc, etc.

Now then, that's my grandparent's stories. My uncles, both directly related and otherwise were both involved in the military, gangs and the 1960s walk outs at Rosevelt highschool (amoung other schools). Not all of them where gang members, but alot where, including my father, but my grandmother kicked his ass. heh. Eventually, they all realized how ****ed up gang life was and raised their kids to love education, though not all did. But now you get your ass kicked if you don't educate your self.

So for some, the gang way is a life style, But for most that i know, bettering your self is the current goal. Even if it's within the gang, it has changed to something more meaningful then just shooting someone to gain respect. After all, everything changes after you have kids.

The gang life style that i think you are thinking of is more akin to the drug dealers and not the gangs of them self.

And for the record, i've never been a gang member. And they've never bothered me.

Gang member: "Where you from?"
me: "my mama."
Gang member: **walks away**
Dear Abstrak,

It has been a true joy conversing with you. You are very articulate, kind, and knowlegeble..The info that you have provided to me has been very usefull.
Somebody from you site has lambasted me so I will no longer be posting questions..I said to myself I would only post ? if it stayed positive...

Thanks again,

Diane

Remember one thing, really bad thing happen everywhere, even where I live.

I am not immune to poverty, violence, racial problems, drugs, corruption, crime, despair.

Keep a stiff upper lip and tudge through it. What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.. that is what we say up North, believe me it ain't great here either!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM

22 posts, read 170,605 times
So which city would you rather live in Huntington Park or East l.a

Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 AM

thanks for the compliment. I take it proudly since i had been drinking in those posts. Wooo.. drunk mexican! Though i am curious by what you mean by "Somebody from you site has lambasted me.'" My personal site? or this forum? Or that al-Qaeda guy that keeps harassing me for a tour of L.A.?

I would rather live in east L.A. the huntington park. it smells like farmers johns pig plants there. =P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles