Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:34 AM

643 posts, read 506,552 times

Advertisements

Really how do you go about not being scammed on Craigslist? There is only so much you can do online without actually seeing the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Be here physically and never send money to someone.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Be here physically and never send money to someone.
Do you know anything about CNA or Physical Therapy Aide jobs? In regards to whether or not it's easy to get hired? I was thinking about Massage Therapy and Dental Assisting before. However I think it would be easier to get hired for a job in the medical field. And there are a few schools that offer CNA and Physical Therapy Aide classes. For Physical Therapy Assistant in my state it's a two year degree but this one is only 15 weeks.

https://www.lavocational.com/Program...-therapy-aide/

https://www.lavocational.com/Programs/certified-nurse/

If I could find a room to rent on Craigslist I could just take the classes in LA.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,783 times
Using Craigslist to find a deal without being able to physically see the space and meet the landlord is a recipe for disaster. Also, such deals WILL be scooped up by locals because they can just hop over to the space and sign. Just think about it -- if you were a landlord and had the option of meeting and signing someone in person vs. a virtual face...who would you pick?

So if you must hunt from a far stick with the major property managers like Essex, Redwood, Lincoln. After you've identified a few places, make a trip to see them and sign one on the spot. (I did this).

Old 07-06-2017, 10:08 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Using Craigslist to find a deal without being able to physically see the space and meet the landlord is a recipe for disaster. Also, such deals WILL be scooped up by locals because they can just hop over to the space and sign. Just think about it -- if you were a landlord and had the option of meeting and signing someone in person vs. a virtual face...who would you pick?

So if you must hunt from a far stick with the major property managers like Essex, Redwood, Lincoln. After you've identified a few places, make a trip to see them and sign one on the spot. (I did this).
This is the only way to get an apartment without being here first unless you have someone who is here to help with leg work. You will definitely pay a premium in an corporate managed building but a lot also do move in specials where they might give you a very low security deposit like $500 so you don't have to come up with as much up front and many offer flexible leases for 6 or even 3 months for all those people that need to move back home after a few months

Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 AM

I'm talking about renting a room out of a house or apartment.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:21 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,373 times
Use common sense, judge of character while talking. When you show up to look at the place, any person with common knowledge should be able to tell a scan from a real thing. I've used Craigslist a ton, and never had an issue.

I've dealt with many sketchy people, and just walk away when I don't feel right

Old 07-06-2017, 10:30 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
I'm talking about renting a room out of a house or apartment.
You're still going to want to be here. Imagine leasing out one of your bedrooms to someone you haven't even met, outside of some texts and a phone call. Locals will win.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:34 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
You have to make a trip here and secure a place. Simple as that. Do it all in person.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:03 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You have to make a trip here and secure a place. Simple as that. Do it all in person.
Cannot agree more!
Even if it is legit and looks like a nice room in a nice house, who knows what the neighborhood is like? Or even in a decent neighborhood you might have some unwanted things in the area like a freeway or refinery or who knows what else. LA is a patchwork city. I stayed in a backyard garage apt with a friend for the first six weeks I was here. I'd left almost everything back home and just came out. It helped me to figure out the city and where I wanted to be. It also gave me the flexibility to wait out the apartments I wanted until the price dropped (they changed daily based on some computer algorithm and the prices swung wildly. I watched it until it hit an oddly low price and then called that day and signed a lease). In the long run it saved me money.

There are "room rentals" in houses that are already stuffed with multiple families. The LA Times had an article about this. One place had the family whose name was on the lease all living in the living room while they rented out one room to another family and the second bedroom to two single guys. Unfortunately that's living in a pricy city and who knows what you could end up with. It may look like a nice room on craigslist but have two other families just outside your bedroom door.

On a side note: Mr. Geek your stalker is back. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles