Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Back east, out west. East = back, West = out. It's because of the historical U.S. migration patterns.

Here's another one for Mr. Pitt: Have you noticed the tendency for certain people out here to say "fer" rather than "for"?
Then maybe I should say "up home" since my family came from the north. That's right, Canada! (I myself am an L.A. native.)

And yeah, fer sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Why would you park in somebody else's space? Was the space in front of your house already taken?
If the parking space is on a public street then it's nobody's space. However that's not to say that they won't key your car if you just ignore them. Aren't people wonderful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM

645 posts, read 988,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's no secret I'm moving out of state. I'm beginning to wonder, should I join the 'California is Cali' crowd? Should I call it 'Cali' every chance I get once I've moved out of state? Should I do my best to help popularize calling CA "Cali?"

Ha! Lovehound, how'd I miss this?

"LL Cool J" = LA Loves Cool J for coming up with such a timeless and endearing nickname for our beloved Golden State. I mean, c'mon, before that, it was "Cal - ee - fore - NYE - aayy." Which is equally endearing, just not short and sweet like the classic - Cali. It just rolls off the tongue! It begs for a sweet kiss of navel orange. Plus the CA locals just love it. Yes, indeed - CA "Locals Love Cool J."

Another beauty: I like to liberally sprinkle how much I love "Frisco" when I'm up in the Bay Area. Everyone thinks I'm from the area whenever I do that.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Seriously though - I used to say I'm off to "Go See Cal, Go See Cal, Go See Cal" - but nobody out here knew what the he** I was talking about.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post

"LL Cool J" = LA Loves Cool J for coming up with such a timeless and endearing nickname for our beloved Golden State. I mean, c'mon, before that, it was "Cal - ee - fore - NYE - aayy." Which is equally endearing, just not short and sweet like the classic - Cali. It just rolls off the tongue! It begs for a sweet kiss of navel orange. Plus the CA locals just love it. Yes, indeed - CA "Locals Love Cool J."

Another beauty: I like to liberally sprinkle how much I love "Frisco" when I'm up in the Bay Area. Everyone thinks I'm from the area whenever I do that.
Nobody says Cali except out of staters.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:

If the parking space is on a public street then it's nobody's space. However that's not to say that they won't key your car if you just ignore them. Aren't people wonderful?
That's a good way to make your neighbors hate you.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Other than ramping on people here in the forum I feel myself moving towards a definite "don't give a crap" if people want to call this state 'Cali.' Emotional distance can be a wonderful thing! Man, I'm already starting to reap benefits from my forthcoming move out of state!!!

Quote:
I've known enough people from Frisco to know that many Friscans don't like their city called that. I generally try to not annoy people just because I have come to dislike drama. With what's happening on the news, happening to the economy, all the people getting killed all over the world, I get enough drama on the TV news to not want any in my own life. Going face to face with a Friscan who doesn't like being called that is not my idea of fun! (Apologies to you San Franciscans! Peace!)

Quote:
Seriously though - I used to say I'm off to "Go See Cal, Go See Cal, Go See Cal" - but nobody out here knew what the he** I was talking about.
Sure, I knew that. I grew up here in L.A. I was watching Cal and his not-a-dog Spot since I was the age that I did a lot of my TV watching from the floor.

Quote:
If I move out of state (I'm a CA native) will I automatically become an out of stater? If so and I start calling it Cali then I guess so...

'Cali' still sounds silly to me. I guess part of it is that the joke is on the people who use that nick name because probably most of them never heard of Cali, Colombia. Let alone find it on a map.

Quote:
That's a good way to make your neighbors hate you.
[presumed referring to getting your car keyed by somebody who doesn't like your parking choices]

That's why I don't bother my neighbors about where they park their cars. If you are a homeowner you have to get along with your neighbors for probably a few or several years or more. If you get started keying each other's cars who knows where that's going to go? I'm certain that people have been shot and killed over less than that. Again, I don't want drama. IMO it's better to just let your neighbors park their cars in front of your house than get involved in some kind of vendetta.

And once again, it's a public street. The public has a right to park there (for 72 hours). Any idea that you have a special claim over the spot in front of your house is a figment of your imagination (those of you who believe that).

Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Would you know sarcasm if it was staring at you in the face? Meh - probably not.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
'Cali' still sounds silly to me. I guess part of it is that the joke is on the people who use that nick name because probably most of them never heard of Cali, Colombia. Let alone find it on a map.

That's why I don't bother my neighbors about where they park their cars. If you are a homeowner you have to get along with your neighbors for probably a few or several years or more. If you get started keying each other's cars who knows where that's going to go? I'm certain that people have been shot and killed over less than that. Again, I don't want drama. IMO it's better to just let your neighbors park their cars in front of your house than get involved in some kind of vendetta.

And once again, it's a public street. The public has a right to park there (for 72 hours). Any idea that you have a special claim over the spot in front of your house is a figment of your imagination (those of you who believe that).
Where were you born? I think you are missing common courtesy. It's not about ownership of the street. It is an acknowledgement, understanding and a gesture of goodwill (in a way) between you and your neighbors, that there is limited space everywhere. Seems like you might be one of those pedestrians who darts out in front of moving cars and expects them to stop. Or you cut people off in traffic, without signaling or go 40mph when everyone else is doing 65. Freakin WEIRD!!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:52 PM

I was born in Los Angeles.

There's common courtesy and there's the law: two distinctly separate things. In fact if you think about it, if courtesy were common we wouldn't even need laws. The fact remains: the street is public property. The public has a legitimate and legal right to park wherever parking laws permit it.

You evidently missed my posts in the jaywalking topic. I fully expect to get hit and maybe killed if I dart out in front of moving cars. Drivers are stupid, they're careless, they're preoccupied, they aren't paying attention. Any pedestrian who takes a chance like that is betting their life the drivers are paying attention. We have a TV news story about once a week some jaywalking pedestrian getting struck and killed by a hit and run car. (Sometimes the pedestrians are in crosswalks and have the right of way but they still end up just as dead.) Nor do I cut people off in traffic. Every month or so there's another TV news item about some road rage idiot who shot and killed somebody for things like being cut off.

You think I would bet my life that you're paying attention?

I'm courteous because I'm a courteous person (it's the right thing to do), I'm courteous because I don't like drama, and I'm courteous because I'd like to go on living.

But public property is still public property and the public has the right to park there. Deal with it.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I was born in Los Angeles.

There's common courtesy and there's the law: two distinctly separate things. In fact if you think about it, if courtesy were common we wouldn't even need laws. The fact remains: the street is public property. The public has a legitimate and legal right to park wherever parking laws permit it.

You evidently missed my posts in the jaywalking topic. I fully expect to get hit and maybe killed if I dart out in front of moving cars. Drivers are stupid, they're careless, they're preoccupied, they aren't paying attention. Any pedestrian who takes a chance like that is betting their life the drivers are paying attention. We have a TV news story about once a week some jaywalking pedestrian getting struck and killed by a hit and run car. (Sometimes the pedestrians are in crosswalks and have the right of way but they still end up just as dead.) Nor do I cut people off in traffic. Every month or so there's another TV news item about some road rage idiot who shot and killed somebody for things like being cut off.

You think I would bet my life that you're paying attention?

I'm courteous because I'm a courteous person (it's the right thing to do), I'm courteous because I don't like drama, and I'm courteous because I'd like to go on living.

But public property is still public property and the public has the right to park there. Deal with it.
I don't believe a word you said. So if your neighbors just decide to park their cars in front of your house and you had to walk around the block everyday to reach your car, you wouldn't care?

Fortunately, my neighbors aren't that self centered. But hope your neighbors never "deal" with you. lol Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles