Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times

Advertisements

Hello,I am 21 years old and I am looking to attend FIDM in September of 2012. I am from New Brunswick, and have never lived outside of Canada. I am very nervouse, but very determined to acheive my goals in life. My long term goal is to own my own clothing company. I want to start my own clothing stores and some day maybe design my own clothes. I am a single mom of a one and a half year old little boy. My brother will be moving with me, but other than that, I do not have any other friends or family that can move with me. I just want to know how much money i should save, where is a safe, but cheap place to live, any information on daycares, loans for going to school and the process to get a work visa would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM

151 posts, read 224,171 times
Los Angeles Area

Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,361,018 times
I would visit first to see if you and your brother and baby like it.

keep in mind the Currancy ratio between the two countries. Will you and your brother be able to legally work? See if the school can give you some idea about housing near the school and how much it costs. WHo will care for your child? You may have to pay for that out of your pocket.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,634,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyPatricia View Post
Hello,I am 21 years old and I am looking to attend FIDM in September of 2012. I am from New Brunswick, and have never lived outside of Canada. I am very nervouse, but very determined to acheive my goals in life. My long term goal is to own my own clothing company. I want to start my own clothing stores and some day maybe design my own clothes. I am a single mom of a one and a half year old little boy. My brother will be moving with me, but other than that, I do not have any other friends or family that can move with me. I just want to know how much money i should save, where is a safe, but cheap place to live, any information on daycares, loans for going to school and the process to get a work visa would be appreciated. Thank you.
Thats an extremely daunting task considering you have baby. I would come to LA without a minimum of $2000 a month for living expenses, school excepted. If your brother can mange it, you can get a 2 bedroom apt in Burbank or Alhambra areas(for example) for $1400/mo plus utilities. Daycare is expensive, but both those areas have family oriented parts.

Of course all of the above assumes you have a car. Life will be much more difficult without a car, although there are 2bd apts downtown that are around 1600/mo across from FIDM, and others about a mile walk that go as low as 1400/mo.

I don't think you should do it, but if you have the income and your brother can pay half the rent, take a shot. But if you're both expecting to find full time $15-20/hr jobs here, forget about it. You might make that in tips as a waiter or waitress, but you likely will only get part time hours.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyPatricia View Post
very determined to acheive my goals in life. My long term goal is to own my own clothing company. I want to start my own clothing stores and some day maybe design my own clothes.
You better be determined. Look at your competition.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/MsAlisonChains/sweatshop.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM

13 posts, read 24,670 times
I will be making to move out to la myself in June. I too am 21 years old. BUT I dont have a baby. I wouldn't make the move unless you have a solid job a car and a solid place to live. I mean your now living for your baby.. not you.. right? I am making sure to have atleast 8,000 saved up.. And i am going to have to buy a beat down car which i have been looking into on craigslist and even those are expensive out there.. Good luck to you..

Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
I just want to know how much money i should save, where is a safe, but cheap place to live, any information on daycares, loans for going to school and the process to get a work visa would be appreciated. Thank you.
You want fries with that?

j/k. But you do seem to be asking a lot of people when you can look some of this stuff up yourself. Are there no schools in Canada?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:07 PM

385 posts, read 722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You better be determined. Look at your competition.
Daamnn, actually, when Mexicans sew the clothes, they stick a label on it and sell it to Charlette Rousse (spelling?) I would know, my mother was a quality controller for Rampage. They sell it for 40 dollars a shirt.

When asians make it, they sell it downtown 5 for 10 dollars, thats your real market killer :P

Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
I think you need to stay in Canada and pursue a fashion career there.

LA is very expensive and you being a single mom, who is going to watch your child? Your brother will need to find work as well.

And I agree with Cece, you need to do your own research. Most of what you're asking is right at your fingertips.

But again, I would think staying in Canada is a better option in your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles