Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 23,478 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm an undergrad at a university on the east coast looking to intern in LA this summer. I have everything going in the right direction for me except for the fact that I have no clue how I'm going to get a car. I know that most car rentals put a surcharge on those under 25, and I'm under 21, so that can't possibly help my case. I'm also from a working-class background, so cost is definitely a factor for me.

That being said, I was wondering if there's any way to avoid the under 25 surcharge, any affordable car rental alternatives, or if it's possible to get around on just public transportation? I'll probably end up in Burbank or Westwood, or commuting from Westwood to Burbank if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
will you be commuting daily? if not, you may consider a carshare program such as zipcar.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
What about buying a dinky little $800 car just to get around in?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM

171 posts, read 530,711 times
I've never owned a car and have lived in Los Angeles county for more than 50 years. Public transportation can, with planning and a willingness to sacrifice some convenience, be a great and economical way to get around L.A.

The Metro Rapid bus 761 goes from Westwood up into the San Fernando Valley. It takes about 50 minutes, and from there you woud need to transfer to an eastbound bus. Which bus would, of course, depend on where in Burbank you were going.

If you go to www.metro.net and download their system map you can get an idea of which bus to take east from Van Nuys Blvd. They also have a trip planner on the home page you can use to find the best route.

A monthly pass, good on all metro buses and light rail and subway, can run from $75 without a freeway express stamp to $97-$119 for one or two express stamps. Even better is the EZ transit pass good for travel on Metro bus, Metro Rail and many additional carriers. Prices on that one start and $84 and go up to $128.

Fares

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyucla View Post
Hey,

I'm an undergrad at a university on the east coast looking to intern in LA this summer. I have everything going in the right direction for me except for the fact that I have no clue how I'm going to get a car. I know that most car rentals put a surcharge on those under 25, and I'm under 21, so that can't possibly help my case. I'm also from a working-class background, so cost is definitely a factor for me.

That being said, I was wondering if there's any way to avoid the under 25 surcharge, any affordable car rental alternatives, or if it's possible to get around on just public transportation? I'll probably end up in Burbank or Westwood, or commuting from Westwood to Burbank if that makes a difference.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM

894 posts, read 1,325,569 times
Get a cheap car off craigs list.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I'd just stick with public transportation. Why make life hard and expensive when it doesn't need to be? Figure out where your internship will be, then find yourself a place to live that's convenient. Westwood is very well-served by public transportation. Burbank's a bit of a trek from that part of town, but it's certainly doable (and it would be a hassle by car, too. At least on the bus you can read!). Or if your internship is in Westwood, just live in Westwood, or if in Burbank, live in Burbank. It would be easy to live in both of those areas without a car.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the responses! Public transportation does sound good to me. It's just that a lot of internships require interns to have a car, but I suppose I'll try to convince them that I will be useful even without a car. It would definitely save a ton of money.

How often do dinky $800 cars come by? That sounds great actually.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,569 times
1995 Honda Civic DX, $500 - Cars.com

here ya go 500$ it will get you to work in the morning. then when you come back to the east coast just give it away lol.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
If you go the car route, just remember to factor parking as a factor and as a budget item when you look for a place to stay. (not sure about Westwood, but I'm assuming that most buildings either don't have parking, or if they do, it comes at a price, and on-street parking can be tough to find.)

Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 PM

Hmm, definitely. Parking and gas costs do add up. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles