Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,531 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Canada and moving to the United States with my 12 year old daughter. I am having a hard time deciding if I should move to LA (Hermosa Beach area) or Miami (South Beach area). Some feedback about both locations would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
What is your budget for housing and what are your other factors such as school quality, proximity to the beach, etc. Hard to answer a general question like that. Do you want urban or really really urban? What is your ethnic background?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:43 PM

96 posts, read 220,107 times
Hermosa Beach

Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 AM

199 posts, read 546,737 times
+1 for Hermosa Beach

Old 05-20-2011, 06:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canadagirl View Post
I currently live in Canada and moving to the United States with my 12 year old daughter. I am having a hard time deciding if I should move to LA (Hermosa Beach area) or Miami (South Beach area). Some feedback about both locations would be great.
Have you ever been to Hermosa Beach or Southern California?
Why those two options (job?)
Where would your job in in California be?
Are you open to third, fourth, and fifth options?
Planning on buying or renting? Budget?
Anyone else besides you two? Brothers, sisters, other parent?
Do you have family in either region?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
I noticed a lot of Canadians moving to the US. I thought the economy and health care system is great in Canada?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 AM

121 posts, read 282,970 times
Quote:
It would help if you added a few more details like job/employment, budget, etc.

Miami - positives:
-warm winters
-warm ocean water year round
-less traffic than LA (but still not great)
-lower cost of living than LA
-better air quality (but since you'll live in Hermosa Beach it's not a huge issue).

Los Angeles - positives:
-winters are colder than miami but SUMMERs are MUCH more pleasant in So.Calif. than Miami (read: less humidity, etc).
-Overall, I give LA the edge on climate.
-more diverse economy, better career opportunities.
-more diverse population.
-more cultural and artistic institutions like museums, film festivals, theatre, concerts, symphony, etc.
-more diverse geographic landscape.

SoCalif: beaches, mountains with snow, deserts, etc. By contrast, Fla is flat swampland and beaches, nada mas.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,977 times
Quote:
If you move to Miami you can go many times to Walt Disney World resorts and theme parks in Orlando. they have special Florida residence theme park passes. I have worked in Alaska four times and have gone through Canada.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 PM

121 posts, read 282,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
If you move to Miami you can go many times to Walt Disney World resorts and theme parks in Orlando. they have special Florida residence theme park passes. I have worked in Alaska four times and have gone through Canada.
So you are saying one should base their decision on where to move on a THEME PARK ?

There is Disnleyland in Anaheim but honestly who cares. Her kid is already 12.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,361 times
hermosa beach is way better place to live, personaly i would hate living in miami, choose LA's Hermosa Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles