Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 AM

378 posts, read 761,176 times

Advertisements

Ask around. Go to some modeling boards and see what people are saying about the agency. And like bouncethelight said, they shouldn't be asking for money up front (nor should they be telling you to get your photos done by a certain photog, etc.)

Make sure you research their reputation before signing on the dotted line.

Edited to add: I looked at your post again and saw it was a modeling/talent agency, and you talked with them about classes. Be careful about agencies that have their own school of acting attached--for some the classes are the primary way they make their money, and some of them aren't about putting you in the market, but getting you to take more classes. Remember, treat acting like a business--act in your own best business interests!

Last edited by Vary; 07-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: second time, cause my grammar sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:09 AM

23 posts, read 53,845 times
They gave me a list of photographers that do their headshots and a list of acting coaches...

Also stats if theirs a job out of town.. you pay out of your own pocket but they will reimburse you.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:21 PM

89 posts, read 215,104 times
If you haven't had time to build up a network yet, then Google is your best friend. Search for everything you can find on the agency and the photographers and acting coaches that they recommend. Then search for the agency/photographers/coaches plus the word "scam".

And then go build your network. This business is built on relationships and reputations. If you're good at what you do and a pleasure to work with, and if you try to give as much back to your network as you get to it, you're more likely to do well.

Seconding the improv recommendation. It makes a world of difference when both you and a director know that if something doesn't go as planned, you can handle it without skipping a beat. Plus it's fun, and a great way to meet other actors.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscure reference View Post
Search for everything you can find on the agency and the photographers and acting coaches that they recommend. Then search for the agency/photographers/coaches plus the word "scam".
This! Especially since you said you've never done any acting. My nose is starting to itch.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM

831 posts, read 680,667 times
The scammers are'nt too shabby in acting too, look at how good they are in parting people with their money, you should never have to fork a penny only to be reimbersed after, theres the big give away. Best to you.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winningduh View Post
They gave me a list of photographers that do their headshots and a list of acting coaches...

Also stats if theirs a job out of town.. you pay out of your own pocket but they will reimburse you.
Let me say in no uncertain words: Don't do it:: never pay one penny up front. You have no guarantee you will get a penny back. In fact there is a damn good chance you will not. Do you have any idea what those headshots are going to cost?

I also noticed, on one of your other comments you mentioned giving it a shot even if it means working 40-60 hours a week, you could head for the beach on weekends? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a job unless you are in a demand profession, which it doesn't sound like you are. Plus trying to make in as a model or in show business, maybe taking classes, working (if you can get a job) isn't going to leave much time for the beach.

Good luck. Wanting to leave the little town you were raised in is understandable, wanting to make it in Hollywood is as well, but you may want to take a few baby steps before you try giant ones.

Nita

Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
This seems to be a recurring theme here on the LA board. Some guy or gal from some no name podunk town somehow thinks they are destined to be the next Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez because they won a local beauty pageant or got a standing ovation at the high school play. All of you somehow think "you're special" and "you are the one the producers will want".

There's nothing wrong with thinking these things. But as long as you understand the equally repetitive sage advice. It really is-in every literal sense of the word-only one person in a million that ever amounts to anything in the acting biz. The other 999,999 really will spend their lives waiting tables, fetching coffee, and ultimately, going right back to wherever it is they came from. You may THINK you're "good". But odds are...you aren't *THAT* good. Aspiring actors and actresses are dime-a-ten-dozen. So in addition to what has been said above, you can't just be attractive and competent. You need to be SMOKIN' attractive *AND* super talented *AND* make the connections *AND* rely on a whole lot of luck and good timing.

Best of luck.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
This seems to be a recurring theme here on the LA board. Some guy or gal from some no name podunk town somehow thinks they are destined to be the next Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez because they won a local beauty pageant or got a standing ovation at the high school play. All of you somehow think "you're special" and "you are the one the producers will want".

There's nothing wrong with thinking these things. But as long as you understand the equally repetitive sage advise. It really is-in every literal sense of the word-only one person in a million that amounts to anything. The other 999,999 really will spend their lives waiting tables, fetching coffee, and ultimately, going right back to wherever it is they came from. You may THINK you're "good". But odds are...you aren't *THAT* good. Aspiring actors and actresses are dime-a-ten-dozen. So in addition to what has been said above, you can't just be attractive and competent. You need to be SMOKIN' attractive *AND* super talented *AND* make the connections *AND* rely on a whole lot of luck and good timing.

Best of luck.
Funny you would bring this up: I was thinking, earlier this morning we hadn't seen many of these "I want to be as star" threads lately, not like a few weeks ago and then this one pops up.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM

23 posts, read 53,845 times
I appreciate all the responses I'm getting. I'm just saying this, this is not a 300 pound bald headed fat guy thinking about his past and wants too give it a shot now. The boys around my age that's made it, is no different then me. The only thing is I've never done any acting. Dont know who I need too talk too. That's why I'm on here, see if you could help me out. Take care.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 AM

396 posts, read 906,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winningduh View Post
I appreciate all the responses I'm getting. I'm just saying this, this is not a 300 pound bald headed fat guy thinking about his past and wants too give it a shot now. The boys around my age that's made it, is no different then me. The only thing is I've never done any acting. Dont know who I need too talk too. That's why I'm on here, see if you could help me out. Take care.
You'd probably have more luck as a 300 pound bald headed fat guy character actor honestly.

Pretty people are a dime a dozen. Find a niche and focus on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles