Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 AM

19 posts, read 125,815 times

Advertisements

I put in my 30 day notice a couple of weeks ago and have been scouring Craigslist, driving around the streets, trying to find a new place to live. I've looked at about 15 places, and a couple of days ago I saw the only place that I liked so far. I found the apartment on Craigslist, and when I went to see it I saw two other people looking at it.

Basically, I'd really like to end my search and take that apartment. The apartment was shown by one of the tenants, and I dropped off an application with him. He said that there are other applications. I called the landlord and he said that he will look at the applications in a few days.

I have a feeling my chances of getting the apartment are slim due to the possibly high volume of applicants. I'm self employed so someone with a more stable job would probably look better on application than me. I'm considering calling the landlord and offering $50 more a month for the apartment if he rents to me. The asking rent is $1000, which according to rentometer.com, is a great deal.

Have any of you ever done this? I'd really like to get this apartment, but I don't know if offering more rent is considered a "underhanded" practice or is it pretty standard and legit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonnotrules View Post
I put in my 30 day notice a couple of weeks ago and have been scouring Craigslist, driving around the streets, trying to find a new place to live. I've looked at about 15 places, and a couple of days ago I saw the only place that I liked so far. I found the apartment on Craigslist, and when I went to see it I saw two other people looking at it.

Basically, I'd really like to end my search and take that apartment. The apartment was shown by one of the tenants, and I dropped off an application with him. He said that there are other applications. I called the landlord and he said that he will look at the applications in a few days.

I have a feeling my chances of getting the apartment are slim due to the possibly high volume of applicants. I'm self employed so someone with a more stable job would probably look better on application than me. I'm considering calling the landlord and offering $50 more a month for the apartment if he rents to me. The asking rent is $1000, which according to rentometer.com, is a great deal.

Have any of you ever done this? I'd really like to get this apartment, but I don't know if offering more rent is considered a "underhanded" practice or is it pretty standard and legit.
You can negotiate rent with the landlord so there should be no reason you couldn't offer to pay more rent, although the opposite would be more common.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,792 times
$50 on a $1000 apt would not cause me to rent to someone if I had a more qualified tenant.
Also, in some rent controlled areas the landlord may not be able to take more money since the max rent is set by law.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 PM

132 posts, read 364,416 times
When a tenant moves, I think the rent control comes off it and a new starting rent is put on it at whatever the market will bear at that time. But that said, it's possible that the landlord is underpricing their unit so as to have more prospective tenants to pick and choose among. If that's the case, you can certainly offer more, it wouldn't count against you, but if they feel another tenant is a better risk financially or prospective-damage-wise, it probably won't be enough to sway them if they like someone else better. I'd try it though if you really like the place.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM

157 posts, read 504,632 times
I offered more rent one time but it didn't do any good. The landlord seemed to be a little too "snooty". It actually worked out to my advantage because I got a much nicer place for $500 less.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM

19 posts, read 125,815 times
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still not sure if I should offer to pay more. I forgot to mention that I spoke with the landlord about having a pet. The rental wasn't advertised as pet friendly, but there is a large patio, and I asked the landlord if it would be okay to get a small dog and he said yes. I'm sure most landlords prefer no pets, and I worry that offering more won't make a difference if I'm pinned as the applicant who wants to get a dog amongst many others who are pet-free.

Sigh, I don't know what to do.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonnotrules View Post

At one point were desperate for a house. we offered 1st, last, security, and 3mos. in advance , in cash...he took it

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa's Neighbor View Post
When a tenant moves, I think the rent control comes off it and a new starting rent is put on it at whatever the market will bear at that time.
Not true in all cities.
It is true in the City of L.A., but not West Hollywood.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 AM

464 posts, read 832,218 times
Arrow Op,...

...my husband says for him (he has rentals) sincerity goes a long ways...and a good track record. If perspective tenants can give first, last and sec. deposit AND have a good track record...there's a good chance he will rent to them. Some give 3 mos. in advance to show they can support the monthly rent. This all being said...if you are too eager it can work against you because it makes it seem like you may not be a good renter and that you just need to get into a place...fast...and no good landlord wants that type of renter. Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:48 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I would also add that you should be honest with the landlord. Tell him that you have been looking and his apartment stands out to you as a place where you would very much like to live. I agree with the above post that recommends being sincere with the landlord, and instead of increased rent, you could also use the difference to have supplemental professional cleanings if the unit has carpet, etc. when you have a pet.

Regarding being self-employed, that's not always a barrier, especially if your financial affairs are in order. In fact, someone who knows how to manage their time and run a small business/consult/etc. is not that different than an individual landlord, so that could carry more weight in selecting a tenant. I know that it would from my perspective, and I have family members/close friends who are individual landlords who don't always follow convention with respect to selecting a tenant.

Good luck!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: