Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,715 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Now that I have had some time after moving, I have been doing a bit more searching of the archives in this forum and am seeing more bad then good about Canoga Park.

As I have stated in my previous posts, I really like it here. When I go out I see a nice suburban residential area. I don't see gang activity...I keep hearing whispers but really haven't experienced anything bad, or anything I would consider bad.

So far the only thing bad I have experienced out here is my bed shaking at 1am during the earthquake.

Why is everyone so down on this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Can't be that bad. Some people are paying a half a million bucks for 1250 sqft homes built in 1962. Description: "Excellent 3 bed + 2 bath home located in a quiet neighborhood, close to shops and schools. Nice size rooms. Hardwood floors throughout. Freestanding fireplace in LR. Large backyard, great for entertaining!"

I grew up in Canoga Park. The sad thing is, this was a house that used to be cared for, nurtured, a place where we had our Indian Guide meetings, and learned to shoot like Jerry West, and listened to Vin Scully call Wes Parker home runs and watch Neil walk on the moon and watch Wilt's finger rolls as described by Chick Hearn; The dads were out mowing the lawns and trimming the trees, the moms were helping us make Kool Aid that we'd sell out on the curb....

http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/westernla/submit/large/082/07-212705a.jpg (broken link)

It could be worse:

Doctor Housing Bubble Blog

Old 08-28-2007, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 109,581 times
Default Depends

It depends on the area of Canoga Park. The further west you go the better. I would definitely rather live in West Hills, which is the next community to the west. In most areas of Canoga Park I would not feel safe to live there, but like I said the western portion is much better.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Hi all,

Now that I have had some time after moving, I have been doing a bit more searching of the archives in this forum and am seeing more bad then good about Canoga Park.

As I have stated in my previous posts, I really like it here. When I go out I see a nice suburban residential area. I don't see gang activity...I keep hearing whispers but really haven't experienced anything bad, or anything I would consider bad.

So far the only thing bad I have experienced out here is my bed shaking at 1am during the earthquake.

Why is everyone so down on this area?
What part of Canoga Park do you live? I live in West Hills right next to Canoga Park. I am too close to Canoga Park. That police helicopter searching for suspects at 2:00 AM I have been moaning about comes from Canoga Park. Where I am isn't so good anymore. About six months ago some guy started going through the trash cans in the neighborhood looking for recyclable stuff. He controlled the local market for a while until more people started encroaching on his business recently. One of them started real early at 6:00 AM on trash day to beat the competition. He lasted for a while until another person got a better idea and started at 10:30 PM the previous night. The clanking noise produced by glass and metal bottles rubbing against each other while being ferried by bicycles or shopping carts is loud and annoying. Hopefully, someone else will try to beat the current champ by starting at 9:00 PM. That would be before my bedtime, and I won't have to wake up until 2:00 AM when the police helicopter comes around.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM

Well this is true I haven't been to the more eastern portions yet. Hmmm, I am on De Soto...and am more north towards Chatsworth....I take it De Soto is more or less the dividing line between east and west?

Geez Charles, I can understand how you must feel about your neighborhood. After my accident me and my fiance had to return to Pennsylvania from NYC for a little bit...and really being back in the neighborhood let me see how bad it had become.

So...if I understand correctly, then Canoga Park was were everyone lived, and Chatsworth was where alot of people worked...industry jobs? Just trying to learn some history here.

Interesting link too about the mortgages....I suppose alot of neighborhoods will be in danger of going to hell in a handbasket with these prices. It will be interesting to see what happens to the rents over here.

I actually almost got suckered into one of those bad mortagages. When we were living in NYC, work was going so well that I decided maybe it was worth looking into buying, seeing as the rents were so high. Out of curiosity, I had called a realtor about this cute property in Far Rockaway....that's all it took. I told her I had bad credit. Didn't matter. No down payment. Didn't matter. She found a broker that would give me a mortgage.....I could get out in 2 years and refianance and my credit would be great cause I would be making these payments, blah, blah, blah. 300,000 beach shack....it WAS cute though.

I figured that seeing as so much of my income was already going to rent anyway, that it wouldn't matter....was about a week a way from signing and then fell and shattered my leg.

The lord works in mysterious ways. I am so lucky.

But back to Canoga....I know in NYC many landlords chopped up houses and apartments in order to make their payments. I suppose that will start happening here?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Lol

My husband and I are hysterically laughing right now. We have the champs wife in our trash cans on Friday morning. We live off Victory and Shoup in West Hills. Our neighborhood is pretty quiet and has mostly nicer kept homes. We hear the helicopters I would say once a week, maybe less. I feel pretty safe in this area.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Further

I was thinking further west. I would not live east of Topanga Canyon, but others may think differently.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Missed the trash posts....another thing I am used to from NYC is the 'trash hunters'!! BUT....sometimes you have to wonder....my fiance picked up a bike, which all it needed was air in the tires, a rowing machine....incredible what people dump.....not that I am condoning dumpster diving....but geez.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
It's 5:39AM now. The police helicopter has been at it for over an hour -- the longest I have seen. There are three more helicopters the area. It's a war zone. This is excessive use of...helicopters and tax money. Make that 4. That's a total of five helicopters flying over the neighborhood at 5:00AM. I walked outside and walked right back in. I don't want to be shot because of mistaken identity. It's too early and it's the LAPD at work. I have had it.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-06-2007 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times
Sounds like your in Iraq!!!
All the negative comments on living in L.A. I have read on here is making my dreams seems further and further away. Guess I'm having second thoughts. I've wanted to live there since I was 15 (16 years ago) and I visit a few times a year, but I dont live there so I dont see it all. I just have heard alot more bad than good about L.A. in general from those who live there. Someone enlighten me please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles