Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:28 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times

Advertisements

Well then . . . we need something similar to a Boston Tea Party if that's the way they are going to be. It is a pilot and we all know in LA what happens when people don't like a pilot just how long it lasts . . ..

James I actually did see a Mexican truck last weekend (not this Labor day weekend. That is why I was doing a double take) it was going north out of San Diego. But I am very tired right now (check out the post time.) I will post the horrid specifics tommorow. Let's just say if you don't like Spanish speaking advertisements, the visual in such large form on all three sides is highly offensive as is dirty rusty, unsafe looking delivery trucks knowing fleets of them will soon be driving our freeways and even city streets (they have to deliver to somewhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
The politicians who pushed this change through learned from the Dubai ports deal and the immigration bill - keep it under the radar so the public can't squawk in protest. The media didn't pick up on this until it was almost a done deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 AM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times
A Simple rule I live by If a union is against I support it. I am also leaving CA soon.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,214 times
I agree with you, James, I left LA very recently after being there for 22 years. It was time for me to go. It is getting so bad and so overcrowded. Even running errands on weekends was getting difficult. I also noticed that the Spanish language was taking over just about everywhere. It was very disappointing to me that America is letting this happen. The is the first time in this Country's history that another language, other than English, was commonly being used. My ancestors were French, for the most part, and eagerly learned the dominant English language. Today, it's anything goes....the immigrants want it easy, quick and easy, and they want us to cater to THEIR needs. They come here like bandits, "Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges." Oh and you better hope that you don't get into an automobile accident with them because you know darned well that they don't carry any insurance. I have had it!

On another note, I also have a condo to sell in Studio City. I purchased a house out of state and need to sell. I will be facing foreclosure in a couple of months, if it does not sell. I am asking $480,000 for the condo; that's about what I owe. I have a realtor and good friend who will do the paperwork for me. I had it listed for a much higher price with a realtor, but he was not able to sell. It is a good deal for someone, it's a really nice condo and it's move-in ready. Thanks!

Borzhie

Old 09-02-2007, 10:40 AM

18 posts, read 173,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Let's just say if you don't like Spanish speaking advertisements, the visual in such large form on all three sides is highly offensive as is dirty rusty, unsafe looking delivery trucks knowing fleets of them will soon be driving our freeways and even city streets (they have to deliver to somewhere).
Wow. Every time I think I might have made a mistake leaving SoCal, I read something like this and the traffic nightmares come rushing back to me. Are these trucks only allowed in CA?

Old 09-02-2007, 01:31 PM

Unfortunately no. As far as I know, they can go anywhere and we all know how often we all see trucks and semis with license plates from way across the country (a lot!)

Even though I am in California and we will be getting the brunt of this along with Texas and Arizona at least initially, I really wish it was limited to just down here as then our whole country would not be affected and one could move away from all of this. But sadly this is no longer an option.

No U.S. citizen can use the excuse anymore that this new 'phenomenon' is only invading California/the southern states and turn a blind eye. We are all affected and maybe, just maybe this will cause many throughout the country, liberal, conservative, moderate to raise up and say, "No More!"

I have decided not to leave the state but to fight back, as I know this thing is spreading like wild fire and needs to be doused. However, if I did not love California so much and believe in its future (albeit needing much change!!) I would be outa here in a second.

I love it when I get reinforcements for my decisions too. They are great aren't they . I hope you are enjoying your new digs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneR View Post
Wow. Every time I think I might have made a mistake leaving SoCal, I read something like this and the traffic nightmares come rushing back to me. Are these trucks only allowed in CA?

Old 09-02-2007, 05:34 PM

18 posts, read 173,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post

I love it when I get reinforcements for my decisions too. They are great aren't they . I hope you are enjoying your new digs!
Well, I didn't end up in Seattle or Olympia (I remember you). I'm in Portland and loving it. I do miss certain things about LA - but I remember what a complete and totally frustrating experience it was to do anything or go anywhere because of traffic, no parking and crowds. Not to mention the dreadful heat.

If I really believed that anything could be done to make LA better, I might have stayed. But I waited for 25 years and only saw things get worse (the fiasco that was the supposed relief from the horror that is the 405/101 commute comes to mind).

Old 09-02-2007, 05:42 PM

652 posts, read 2,803,690 times
Look for one of these next time you're driving down the 405:

http://www.coololdtruck.com/Pict2374.JPG (broken link)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
The Mexican trucks that will be driving through L.A.....
I would hope the Department of Homeland Security is tuned in to this.

There are worse things than traffic from foreign trucks.

If you see an odd looking guy handing cash to a poor looking trucker, please let us know.

Last edited by Charles; 09-02-2007 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-03-2007, 03:06 AM

Hey! You are in Beaverton! I lived there once as well. It is a beautiful area isn't it? Good for you. I am sure you got a lot more for your money in the Oregon area.

25 years. Amazing. I have not been here half that long. But when you have been here that long and done all you can moving on to greener pastures is such a well earned gift, I am sure.

Who knows I may just join you one day. Even though my husband and I are pretty much 99.9 % sure we are moving to Santa Barbara, we are heading up to Lake Oswego (for a weekend visit) to make double sure the wide open green country isn't still calling. I bet it is. That area is so lovely how could it not? But we are talking Santa Barbara here. LOL. I have the chance and I wanna take it. Santa Barbara has its California problems as well though and it won't make the LA traffic go away when I come through. For now I still have the tolerance and a bit of the fight left.

Enjoy Portland! If we do move up there, I'll shoot you a PM for sure!

Take Care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneR View Post
Well, I didn't end up in Seattle or Olympia (I remember you). I'm in Portland and loving it. I do miss certain things about LA - but I remember what a complete and totally frustrating experience it was to do anything or go anywhere because of traffic, no parking and crowds. Not to mention the dreadful heat.

If I really believed that anything could be done to make LA better, I might have stayed. But I waited for 25 years and only saw things get worse (the fiasco that was the supposed relief from the horror that is the 405/101 commute comes to mind).

Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 AM

Actually that THING is kinda cool looking! I could totally drive that monster on the LA freeways! LOL. Can you imagine trying to maneuver that thing in our traffic? Dang. Of course people would be doing it and still talking on their cell phones!

I think that cab though is definately representative of what we will need to start readjusting our eyes for. It was the spanish advertisements though that just sent me over the edge. So wrong. I hope the regulations they have for these driver's and companies includes insurance! I don't get it. How can these driver's drive on our roads without speaking our language? I know plenty of 2 axle vehicles drivers do, but when we are talking big rigs and massive trucks and not being able to decifer signs it is terrifying to me. What happens when they swerve out of misunderstanding or not getting what a sign says?

To me this is a recipe for not so good things to come. I hope I am absolutely just overreacting here. This is not a new reality I want to get used to. We'll see how it flushes out. They can fit a lot of illegals in hiding spaces in those trucks, not to mention loads of Meth and other drugs. Lovely. Maybe stash a terrorist or two or maybe just go for it and tuck away a whole jihadist group. All they need to do is get away with it once.

I wonder if this will increase the numbers of spanish brothels that have been popping up around areas that illegal workers are concentrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Look for one of these next time you're driving down the 405:

http://www.coololdtruck.com/Pict2374.JPG (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles