Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
They are doing it because they think you're a thief. If you work in retail you are taught to harass a customer so they know "you're watching them" which will, in theory, prevent them from stealing.
Still, they're doing their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I tend to get annoyed when the checker is engaging in friendly banter with a customer, especially when it crosses over into taking time away from doing their job. Keep the line moving, chatterboxes. I've got ice cream melting.

Yeah. But I do get even more annoyed when they are enagaged/distracted with other employees. To me, that's rude.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Agreed. That happens at my local Stater Bros (I seldom shop there). The employees there tend to be very young and very rude.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:29 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
I was a retail clerk at a large store many years ago. When someone asked me where something is located, I would lead and show them the product and ask if they needed anything else. Other employees just tell you the aisle number and walk away. If something is not on the shelf, I would find out if there is any in the backroom. Other's just say there isn't any more without checking. It really depends on the clerk's personality. It also depends on the customer's attitude. Friendly customers = friendly clerks. "Hey you! Do you work here? I need help."(from across the way) vs. "Excuse me, can you help me?"(Up close), being nicer goes a long way. But being paid slightly above min. wage ,( compared to being on commission), one shouldn't expect the workers to be at your beck and call.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Beware, unruly workers: Undercover Boss might be right under your nose, and you don't even know it!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
When first I moved here from Boston, this guy working at Vons asked me if he could help me find anything. I thought he was coming on to me. Seriously. "Why is he talking to me?! How awkward!" I thought.

I soon learned that store clerks are friendlier and more helpful here. Soon after I'd moved here, I was again at Vons trying to find this certain pie crust, and it seemed they were all out. Someone asked if I needed any help so I figured "OK... why not!" and said that I wanted the crust they were all out of. The dude helped me look and then went into the back and found it for me!

I was seriously flabbergasted. Nothing like that had ever happened to me in Boston before.

The MOST you will get there is "Find everything?" in an incredibly irritated & bored voice. God FORBID you reply with "Actually... no!"

Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times
I don't like making small talk with strangers and don't chat with the cashiers. At Trader Joes they tend to be overly friendly and talk to customers; however I avoid that by not making eye contact and pretending to glance down at my smart phone or look give off a strong "do not talk to me vibe" and it works every single time. I am there to shop and buy food; not tell random strangers how I'm doing or how my weekend is. I like to be left alone. Overly friendly cashiers irritate me but they know not to talk to me because I know how to give off that vibe.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
When first I moved here from Boston, this guy working at Vons asked me if he could help me find anything. I thought he was coming on to me. Seriously. "Why is he talking to me?! How awkward!" I thought.

I soon learned that store clerks are friendlier and more helpful here. Soon after I'd moved here, I was again at Vons trying to find this certain pie crust, and it seemed they were all out. Someone asked if I needed any help so I figured "OK... why not!" and said that I wanted the crust they were all out of. The dude helped me look and then went into the back and found it for me!

I was seriously flabbergasted. Nothing like that had ever happened to me in Boston before.

The MOST you will get there is "Find everything?" in an incredibly irritated & bored voice. God FORBID you reply with "Actually... no!"
I was born and raised in So. Cal. I was the retail clerk that everyone cit chatted w/ as i checked your items out. I loved my job, and never had anything but happy customers, even to the point of their coming to shop where I was if I filled in at another location. To me, customer service is genuinely caring people, that appreciate your business enough to be courteous and caring. The smile you give that customer may be the only one they get that day.

I hate hearing so many people that want to "interact" w/ an automaton. I personally don't shop, eat or invest where I've been treated like I'm bothering you to be there. Now, I wouldn't follow folks around the store, there is an art to being friendly, w/out being subservient. Lets hear for the genuine folks in every profession.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
When Wal Mart started with it's greeters at the door, it didn't take ;long for Home Depot to jump on the bandwagon.
The one big difference is, the Walmart people seem to be generally interested in the customer.
On the other hand, these phony greeters at Home depot seem like it something they NEED to say in order to keep their job.
They always say the same thing, like they were robots.
"hello, how are you today?".
Like they really care how I am.
It is do dammed phony, that it really pisses me off.
Bob.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times
When I shop at Ralph's, I always use self check out because I don't want to speak to or deal with a cashier. I'd rather just do it myself. Self check out is the BEST invention EVER because you don't have to talk to the cashier or deal with them. Some days, or for some people it's most days, you just want to be left alone! So much less stressful to use self check out! However, too bad Trader Joe's doesn't have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: