Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 PM

159 posts, read 185,864 times

Advertisements

So, I've booked a hotel near the Metro line on Hollywood BLVD, and since this is my first time there, I didn't want to rent a car unless I had to, but we might still look into it, depending on things.

We've decided it'd be better to enjoy ourselves and not worry about driving especially when drinking, so we're looking into taxi services in the area.

We're in Hollywood BLVD, so at what point would commuting via taxi be un-economical? About how much. I've attached a map for reference.
Say from our hotel, we went to Santa Monica and then back to Hollywood BLVD?

Thanks.

Last edited by Legacy Bear; 02-14-2012 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,213,653 times
taxi to SM from hollywood would be expensive, at least $50 each way I would guess plus tip. taxis are only worth it if you're staying in the same area or have a group (3-4 people to split cost, taxis will only take up to 4 people i believe). the bus system in LA isn't that bad, but traveling distances in excess of 5 miles can take a long time as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
taxi to SM from hollywood would be expensive, at least $50 each way I would guess plus tip. taxis are only worth it if you're staying in the same area or have a group (3-4 people to split cost, taxis will only take up to 4 people i believe). the bus system in LA isn't that bad, but traveling distances in excess of 5 miles can take a long time as well.

So according to the map, anything in B or D would be really expensive?

We plan on going via metro for most things, but for a night out, we might just cab it. I hear you on the cab thing. Are taxis pretty legit though? No scams, or running up the meter?

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,638,507 times
Taxi's are really expensive in LA. No scams I'm aware of as they aren't needed. There are bandit taxi's, but TBH, all that will happen is they are cheaper than regular taxi's.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Taxi's are really expensive in LA. No scams I'm aware of as they aren't needed. There are bandit taxi's, but TBH, all that will happen is they are cheaper than regular taxi's.

I guess, I just wanted to guage and do the research before hand. I've had drivers tell me, route XYZ is congested, lets take route ABC to save time.

Is it easy to distinguish these bandi taxi? We were thinking of taking a cab from HOLLYWOOD to downtown LA / LAX, is that doable?

Thank you very much.

- - - - - - -
I get the impression that I'll need wheels to commute, but wanted to know if the mass transportation was reliable and efficient?

I have a smart phone and was wondering if anyone knew of a particular app that'll aid us.

Last edited by Legacy Bear; 02-15-2012 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Question about transportation.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,876,567 times
I wouldn't take a taxi from Hollywood to Santa Monica... probably gonna cost you around $60+ dollars. I had to take a cab to a job interview right about where it says "Westwood" on the map... it was $40.

I wouldn't worry about the cab drivers, they have all been pretty legit in my experience.

Late at night, the #4 bus runs from Santa Monica to Hollywood (probably near your hotel) though it runs along Santa Monica Blvd so I'm not sure how far of a walk that is to your hotel. One thing you could do is take the bus a certain distance and then get out and taxi the rest of the way. Saves a little money and a little time.

Unless it is late at night, there is no point in taking a cab from DT LA to Hollywood - just take the Red Line. If you need to get to the airport don't waste your money on a cab from Hollywood, also crazy expensive... I would get to Union Station via the Red Line then hop on the flyaway bus (7 bucks a person direct non-stop to LAX from Union Station): http://www.lawa.aero/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=292#tabulation

I'm gonna be taking it to LAX in a few weeks when I go out of town.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,638,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
I guess, I just wanted to guage and do the research before hand. I've had drivers tell me, route XYZ is congested, lets take route ABC to save time.

Is it easy to distinguish these bandi taxi? We were thinking of taking a cab from HOLLYWOOD to downtown LA / LAX, is that doable?

Thank you very much.

- - - - - - -
I get the impression that I'll need wheels to commute, but wanted to know if the mass transportation was reliable and efficient?

I have a smart phone and was wondering if anyone knew of a particular app that'll aid us.
Valid taxi's will have this affixed to the door:

LADOT

Since both Hollywood and Downtown are part of the City of Los Angeles, any cab you take should have that sticker.

A cab from Downtown to Hollywood in non rush hour times should be very viable. For instance if you wanted to go for dinner and/or drinks downtown, you could take the Red Line at say 7pm and then return in a cab. I'd guess that would cost around $20.

For LAX to Hollywood, a cab is gonna run $75-100.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,391,323 times
I've have seen many of these taxi's around town that are fuel efficient cars. I wonder if they have lower fares?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM

396 posts, read 906,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglet View Post

Thank you very much.

- - - - - - -

Smart Phone + Google Maps will help with you with the public transit.

There is absolutely ZERO reason to take a taxi from Hollywood to Downtown.

If you need to get to the airport, from Hollywood, you simply take the red line to Union Station and then take the Flyaway at Union Station to LAX. The Flyaway is $7.

Getting to Santa Monica from Hollywood is annoying. BUT, if you don't want to do a Taxi, or the metro bus, there is the hop on hop off starline tour things that will take you to Santa Monica. You may want to look into that.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,876,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Getting to Santa Monica from Hollywood is annoying. BUT, if you don't want to do a Taxi, or the metro bus, there is the hop on hop off starline tour things that will take you to Santa Monica. You may want to look into that.
Great point, if they take you to SM, (I've never been on one) I am pretty sure they will be cheaper than a cab, and faster than the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles