Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,288 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently in the navy and will be separating in the beginning of 2013 and plan to go to college at SMC and to transfer to USC. I am looking for neighborhood suggestions for somewhere that is in between both those schools for a mid 20's student.

I do have a car, but I would rather take public transportation because of traffic and parking issues. I don't mind if a neighborhood is a little more gritty or "rough". I will be receiving $2200 per month for living expenses and housing as long as i am attending school as a full time student. I will also have a part time job on top of that. So I would like to keep rent around $1200 per month. I may be willing to go a bit more expensive if necessary.

thanks alot guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Just to confirm, you will be 2 years at SMC then 2 years at USC (+/- depending on credits)?

Unless you NEED to be in the same apartment the entire time, why not live in Santa Monica (or Palms, Mar Vista, etc), then move closer to USC when it comes time to transfer? A lot changes in 2 years, picking a central location may not be the best choice, and USC may not even be an option at the end of your SMC tour.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
Culver City.

It's completely do-able to drive from Culver City to SMC or USC on either surface streets or freeway. It's halfway between SMC and USC, too (about 5-6 miles from either schools).

As for pub trans, I don't know much about that from Culver City to SMC.

The Expo Light Rail Line can directly take you from Culver City to USC. It's only like a $1.50 each way.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,288 times
1200RT, yes you are right. I may not even be able to transfer, but right now that is my plan. 2 years at SMC and then the rest at USC. I just figured it would be easiest to pick a central location. But I am flexible and open to moving if necessary.

genjy, I did notice on google maps that culver city did seem to be the central location between the two. I also heard about that new expo line that opened up recently. That could make things very convenient for me. I read that expo line is actually suppose to expand into Santa Monica, but it's suppose to be up and running by 2016 that's too bad. If it were running now, that'd be perfect! I'm gonna have to make a weekend trip up to L.A. from SD and check out the Culver City neighborhood and see what it's all about.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
1200RT, yes you are right. I may not even be able to transfer, but right now that is my plan. 2 years at SMC and then the rest at USC. I just figured it would be easiest to pick a central location. But I am flexible and open to moving if necessary.
So, my above advice stands. Live in SM, or other west LA area (search, tons of discussions going on). You can find a 1 bedroom in the 1200 range without trying too hard, although you'll need to bump that a bit to live in SM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles