Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 AM

10 posts, read 63,029 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation....

I'm planning on moving to LA from San Fancisco/Bay Area to (of course) find a job in Entertainment/Advertising/PR. In order to find jobs out there, I plan on applying for jobs via online, and then when they want to interview me, just fly down for the day then go home(I would try to schedule at least two interviews or more/day). Depending on how successful I am , I'm thinking I may fly down a minimum of 4 times (flights are cheap now $39 one way to LA from SFO). Then, once I do get hired in LA, that's when I make my move. I prefer to do it this way, so that I know I have a job once I move.

Or, should I go for the latter and save some money then move there then find a job? I prefer not to do it this way.

You see, I know that someone out there has been in the same situation as me. I'm a 24 year old female with a bachelors degree. I have the normal bills to pay, credit cards, car, etc. So I DO NOT have any money saved to even start out. I plan on looking for a room to rent once I do find a job, because I know that I couldn't afford a place of my own. Also, this is my first time living away from home so I'm excited!

Any advice would help! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 AM

100 posts, read 564,139 times
Its hard to get around without a car so you'd probably have to rent a car each time which would add to the cost.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 AM

I have a car that I am going to bring there.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 AM

153 posts, read 637,610 times
Don't move here without a job. With the sitaution you're in, L.A. will eat you right up and spit you out. IT IS HARD. I grew up here and in the business and I know what it can do to people. For your own sake, if you insist on pursuing your dreams here, get a job first, and get it in writing. It will help when looking for a place if your have your offer letter since you won't have much money (depending on your credit they'll want first, sometimes last, but definitely a large deposit).

If you can, I would seriously suggest networking in SF for jobs down here. Sounds weird, but almost ALL jobs here in the industry are acquired that way, through connections. I'm not kidding. You will have virtually no luck online. For every job you're sending a resume out for, an average of 500-600 are also being received. Seriously, ask people you already know, even they're from out of the area, because you just never know.

Sorry if I'm raining on your parade a little, but I honestly want to help people who might truly have no understanding of how difficult and just downright sad and cut-throat this place is. ANY questions, please ask, I'm full of helpful info and "pitfall avoidance techniques", as my boyfriend likes to say.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
My advice is if you are applying for positions via the net (Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.) you may want to show an address of already being in Los Angeles. Most (if not all )employers would not want to relocate someone for the types of positions you are seeking because it would very expensive for them to do so. Recruiters would see that you currently reside in SF and they would disregard your resume.

I would not even mention anything to a potential employer that you would have to relocate until AFTER you receive an offer in writing.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,769 times
I would suggest you stay in San Francisco until you secure employment here as well. Save up as much as you can to finance your job search expenses.

You can rent a car pretty cheap each time you fly down.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 PM

Thank you for all your advice and help! All your opinions help a lot.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:07 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,985 times
I know many who move here with no job but you seem like the careful type so finding one first may be better for your comfort level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles