Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:41 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
That's what my dad said. Some states have better economies than others, especially TX over NV.
Well if she wants affordability, good employment prospects and a nightlife....then Houston, TX is the way to go.

I would've said Austin but so many people are piling up that it's causing a bit of a riff in employment prospects.

Houston is an LA-junior, except they're aren't kicking you out of the bars at 1:45!

Texas is basically a poor man's California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 PM

98 posts, read 341,528 times
Vegas if you can get a decent paying job... LA if you can afford the rent .... Then miami killer beachs and chicks pass on the humidity i've lived in all 3. Live in Texas right now but not for long i dont think miss LA and hate the open racism in the south.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 27,647 times
I'd second BarcelonaFan's suggestion of Austin, TX. It wasn't in the OP's original consideration, but it has some things going for it. Keep in mind I've only been once and haven't done a ton of recent research to verify these claims but between my trip down there once + anecdotal evidence I think Austin has:
- better cost of living than LA/MIA - the OP's $700 for housing will go a lot farther there
- perhaps better employment prospects,
- Party wise, 5th & 6th Streets and areas near U.T. are fairly hopping. Sure, Austin is definitely no LA/Miami/Vegas -- what other in city in this country apart from NYC is? but a relatively cheap nightlife, a nightlife better than most U.S. cities.
- Feel like there's a decent Jewish population in Austin @ U of T?
- Better weather than Vegas (I think?)

Also worth considering: OP, you cited lack of college degree but fluency in multiple languages. That's very valuable. With Austin being a growing startup & tech center, perhaps you can find work for a company that's trying to scale their product/service internationally and needs people with international culture and language fluency.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Yes, Austin because of out of any city in TX has the best weather. Great hill country, beautiful lakes substitute for beaches there, exciting night life, and relatively low cost of living (although it's rising).

Best job opportunities are in Houston though and while it lacks hills, lakes or oceans, or great weather, it makes up for it in excellent nightlife, job opportunities and a bustling city. Like I said though it's an LA wannabe on the upswing with ample scenes in art, music, film, and cuisine.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM

36 posts, read 59,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Las Vegas metro is nearing 2 million...there has to be some work besides playing poker or being a stripper (both of which require you to be at the top of your game to do in Vegas).
Just for the record, they don't have 2 million. What planet are you on and where do you get your sources? Las Vegas metro only consists of 500,000 residents. About 35% of that figure is composed of kids under 18. It's been a well-known fact for years that when the economy tanked, generally American citizens could no longer afford to travel to Vegas and gamble. Therefore the industries slowly died out from the lack of business. If you don't believe me, tons of homes have foreclosed. Vegas today is nothing like how it was before 2005 or so, and that's just proof the city was built on the gambling industries.

I'm curious as to what the OP finally decided -- does not look like he ever let the CD users know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles