Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM

164 posts, read 347,134 times

Advertisements

I was talking with my grandfather and i told him i was about to go to Canoga Park to the mall. He insisted that it was in Woodland Hills but i knew better. Out of curiosity, just to make sure i was right, i checked the Los Angeles Times Mapping LA and it had the correct boundaries i was used to. Then i checked Google maps, and it has Canoga park starting at vanowen instead of victory. I also checked the Canoga Park Neighborhood Council and the boundary begins at vanowen. So when in the world did this power grab happen? Did the people of woodland hills think that the people of Canoga Park was too "ghetto" or "poor" to have the mall zoned in its original neighborhood? This kind of crap that City Hall allows is ridiculous. This neighborhood zoning stuff in the valley has gotten way out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Which mall: Topanga Plaza (Canoga Park), Promenade (Woodland Hills), or Fallbrook Square (West Hills)?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
This is pretty much how I felt when Lake Balboa was created. In reality, it's still the western part of Van Nuys, and renaming it won't change that! It sounds so pretentious, I just want to every time I think about it.

Woodland Hills has more prestige than Canoga Park. I once looked for an apartment in Canoga Park, because I'd be so close to work (within 5 minutes!), and I discovered that once you get north of Victory, that area completely changes. I don't know when the boundary change from Victory to Vanowen occurred, but nothing is any different, except in those residents' minds, I suppose!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Elementary! When the name results in higher housing prices.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Bngo....we have a winner....

Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This is true.

Real estate agents are the biggest liars there are, and will do or say ANYTHING to make their property sound better than it actually is.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
I was talking with my grandfather and i told him i was about to go to Canoga Park to the mall. He insisted that it was in Woodland Hills but i knew better. Out of curiosity, just to make sure i was right, i checked the Los Angeles Times Mapping LA and it had the correct boundaries i was used to. Then i checked Google maps, and it has Canoga park starting at vanowen instead of victory. I also checked the Canoga Park Neighborhood Council and the boundary begins at vanowen. So when in the world did this power grab happen? Did the people of woodland hills think that the people of Canoga Park was too "ghetto" or "poor" to have the mall zoned in its original neighborhood? This kind of crap that City Hall allows is ridiculous. This neighborhood zoning stuff in the valley has gotten way out of hand.

I grew up in the West Valley so this thread caught my attention. No longer live there but have family in the area. This was news to me as well.

A couple of things:
1. The Topanga Mall's official website still lists the address as Canoga Park;
2. You are right about the Neighborhood Council boundaries. Canoga Park Neigh. Council starts at Vanowen. The Topanga Mall is located in the "Woodland Hills-Warner Center Neighborhood Council" area.

I am just speculating but here are my best guesses:
1. The owner of the Topanga Mall is Westfield, the Australian-based shopping center giant, which ALSO owns the Promenade Mall. They have long had expansion plans to link both malls together and add more shops and even housing or offices on the parking lots surrounding both sites. Having both malls in one Neighborhood Council probably made more sense for them. Even if the Neigh Councils are only advisory the planning bodies and politicians listen to them. Far easier for Westfield to win support of one Neigh Council than two.

2. The Topanga Mall is zoned in the "Warner Center Specific Plan" area and has been since the 1980's when that plan was adopted. So perhaps when the Neighborhood Councils were being drawn ten years ago the thought was the mall should go in the "Woodland Hills-Warner Center Neigh Council" area as that dovetails with the planning for the area. This may have pre-dated Westfield's purchase of both malls....which I think was not until around 2005. But I am not sure.

Finally, isn't it possible the area is still considered officially Canoga Park (as the mall's website does) and just happens to be part of the adjacent Neigh Council?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,769 times
The boundaries of Canoga Park is victory boulevard on the south and Nordhoff on the north and de soto on the east and shoup on the west. Canoga Park Boundary Map

Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,254 times
Default My grandparents home

As a child my family drove to my grandparent's home on Shoup Ave. in Canoga Park and spent many happy days and nights there. My grandparents bought the 10 acre property in 1946 and lived there until 1953 when my grandmother sold it as my grandfather had died in 1952. The property had its own gasoline pumps, a small guest house where my grandfather polished rocks and a large patio where we often gathered with our cousins. I remember a sheep ranch across the street. I was 9 when the property was sold and I remember that the acreage was subdivided and 20 other homes were built on it but the main house was left intact. I googled Zillow today to see what the old ranch house looked like and was surprised that it's now considered to be in Woodland Hills, not Canoga Park. The original floor plan of the house is imprinted in my mind and it's now over 7000 square feet and unrecognizable. So I, also, was surprised that part of Canoga Park had become Woodland Hills.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:01 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
I would check LATimes or the website John818 listed.

http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhood...09&g=Geocodify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles