Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,841 times

Advertisements

In two weeks, my 6 year old daughter and I (mom) will be arriving into the Union station Ptsasaurus Transit Plaza at Union Station. We are headed to Westwood for a doctor appointment. I see there is a bus that goes from Cesar Chavez and Broadway to the medical plaza in Westwood. By mapping the walk from the Transit Plaza to The bus stop intersection, it is about half a mile walk, straight down Cesar Chavez, just past Olvera St. My question is....we would be doing the walk at about 6am and the bus comes about every 15 minutes, is this walk safe for 2 females, since it will still be dark out at 6am?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Yes.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM

919 posts, read 1,781,972 times
You are nearly across the street from Felips French Dip shop, which is populated by LEO's from both LAPD and L.A. County Sheriffs. You also have Metro Division of LAPD which patrols that area, the most badass LEO's in Socal. You will be fine...

Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,113 times
I would NOT recommend your intended itinerary. It seems you are planning on taking MTA bus route 2, the Sunset Blvd. route. That would be a slow--even if you were to take the Limited version line 302 would still be slow and crowded and not that pleasant--crowded, and even a bit gritty experience. I would recommend the following itinerary to reach UCLA Medical Plaza because it is faster and traverses better neighborhoods:

(1). Upon arriving at Patsaouras Plaza, enter the Union Station and you should see the portal for Metro subway. The subway entrance is just a FEW FEET from the transit plaza. If you are using TAP card, then TAP in, or you may need to buy a DAY PASS for $5, the best value and CHEAPEST option providing access to all Metro subway, light rail, and Metro bus, limited bus, and Metro Rapid bus service all day with unlimited usage.

(2). There are TWO subway lines serving Union Station: Red and Purple lines. You want to board the PURPLE line, and the head-sign will read "Wil/Wstrn" meaning destination of Wilshire blvd. & Western Ave. Take the Purple Line all the way to the end of the line (about a 12 minute trip) to Western Ave. and exit to the street level.

(3). As you rise on the escalator to the street, you need to make a 180 degree turn to Wilshire Blvd., just a few feet away and directly across the Wiltern Theater. It is best to then board Metro Rapid line 720 using your all day TAP pass at the DESIGNATED Metro Rapid stop. Metro Rapid buses are usually longer than regular buses, red in color and have the words "Metro Rapid" on the bus and the line number is 720. Metro Rapid is an enhanced bus service that not only has fewer stops, but can also hold a green light at many intersections, greatly reducing the travel time to Westwood. Take the Metro Rapid to Weswood Blvd. and walk a few blocks to the UCLA Medical Plaza.

In addition to the Metro Rapid buses at the subway terminus of Wilshire & Western is the LOCAL bus Line 20 that can also take you to Westwood Blvd., but because it is a local bus service, it will makes all stops along the way, and that takes a lot of time.

The above itinerary is faster, more efficient, smoother (the subway portion), puts you among a better crowd of people, and goes through better neighborhoods along the way, and if there are crowds, you won't have to endure them for long.

If you are arriving at Union Station by Metrolink commuter train, your Metrolink ticket is good for FREE connections to all MTA subway, Light Rail, and local, limited, and Metro Rapid bus. If it is a round-trip Metrolink ticket, then that Metrolink ticket can be used just like an MTA all day pass. Just show your Metrolink ticket when requested or when boarding buses.

The best of luck for you on that day.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 AM

171 posts, read 530,505 times
The advice and directions HarryKerryJr gave are very good and detailed. This definitely the way you would want to go. I've been to both Union Station and the Medical Offices near UCLA many times and would go this way if I were starting out at Union Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles