Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times

Advertisements

Recently I've been getting sinus headaches, which I believe is due to this almost unrelenting humid weather. Upping my C dosage hasn't been alleviating my headaches completely, so I ceded (I try to avoid allopathic medicine) and took an allergy pill which has eliminated by pains. Has anybody else been having sinus aches lately coinciding with this weather? I've never experienced this before, so I wonder if there's something else in the air in concert with the humidity which has caused me discomfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,507 times
Are you sure you are not getting migraines?

The next time you get the headache, go to weather.com, put Los Angeles in the search box and go to its weather page. Scroll down to the maps and in the "All" menu select "Classic Highs/Lows/Fronts". If you see a black dashed line (represents a trough) in your area, you may be experiencing migraines due to atmospheric pressure.

I mention this because, for me, that is an almost daily occurrence in NY during the summer, but it was rare in LA when visiting. I was monitoring your weather this year, sadly from afar, and noticed a greater incidence of those troughs.

BTW, if that is the case, Excedrin Migraine works wonders.

Just a thought.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, but as stated, a popular allergy medicine (rhymes with Sheraton) has alleviated my pains, so I think it's a sinus issue rather than a migraine issue.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 PM

581 posts, read 920,473 times
This has been the worst year for my sinus headaches in my 60 year memory. I usually don't have them in the desert but it's been bad both in the desert and in town.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Thanks for the reply, but as stated, a popular allergy medicine (rhymes with Sheraton) has alleviated my pains, so I think it's a sinus issue rather than a migraine issue.
Yep me too. Battling a really brutal one as we speak. Giving me toothaches too. Arm and Hammer spray is a good way to treat it, and it's medication-free

Old 09-22-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yep me too. Battling a really brutal one as we speak. Giving me toothaches too. Arm and Hammer spray is a good way to treat it, and it's medication-free
Can you remember specifically when this started? My ailments began roughly one and a half weeks ago, when yet another heat wave was beginning.

I suspect it's something more than the heat and humidity that is compounding this.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:43 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I tend to get sinus headaches when there are seasonal weather changes but not usually because of a heatwave.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:51 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Can you remember specifically when this started? My ailments began roughly one and a half weeks ago, when yet another heat wave was beginning.

I suspect it's something more than the heat and humidity that is compounding this.
I'd say three-four weeks ago. It does seem to be getting better now, though that may be because I am finally doing something about it.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
I'm trying to read between the lines on this and other LA threads I've visited as to whether or not this has been an extraordinarily hot, humid &/or uncomfortable summer in LA?
We visited the area in early June & the moderate temps were a delightful break from the heat & humidity that was ongoing back home for us at that time. Yes, it did drizzle slightly one morning while we were in LA & actually showered sporadically another morning as we drove west from DTLA on out to Malibu. We gathered that that was unusual for that time of year although the weather folks did talk a lot about "June gloom".
Since then, largely becaue I'm a weather geek, I've paid attention to the weather conditions in greater LA & I've been surprised at what I've noticed & read in comments such as here in the forum that have repeatedly pointed out how it was uncomfortably hot &/or humid there.
As for sinus & other head pressure afflictions, a copule of co-workers & I joke amongst ourselves that we are weather forecasters in that we feel it in our heads ahead of time when the barometric presure is about to change in advance of a strong front that markedly changes our local conditions.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:08 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
This has been the worst summer for me (sinus-speaking!) in a LONG time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles