Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 16,794 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a family vacation this year to Los Angeles, originally we were planning on going in July but now it looks like we only have two options.

Either the last 2 weeks of June or the first 2 weeks of September.

But I've read about June Gloom and it sounds like it could ruin our vacation, we'll be staying Inland, near Toluca Lake/Studio City area near Universal and will probably only go to the beach (Santa Monica) one day and the rest will be just around the Beverly Hills/Hollywood area.

So can anyone tell me about June Gloom? Will it ruin our vacation, should we just go in September?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Trying to predict the weather in So Cal is like asking water to be stable. September can be hot. Like 100 degrees hot.

June Gloom is a heavy marine layer. Lots and lots of overcast and no sun. It generally breaks up by early-mid afternoon and the sun comes out. But it can last all day at the beach. Don't count on getting a tan. It does make things gloomy but... and here's the good part... it keeps the heat down.

As a native I loved June gloom. If you are doing things like Disneyland it makes it much more comfortable. I can't see it ruining your vacation unless you have your heart set on days of endless sun and 80 degrees. When it's 90 plus all the Californios are wishing they had a little June Gloom.

I would absolutely pick June over September.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I would also pick June over September, as inland is less likely to be hot in June. September is almost always very hot inland. If you are going to the beach only one day, chances are you will be able to look at the five day weather forecast and find the best day to go.

I'd check the LAUSD calendar too to see if schools are in or out - schools in may mean more traffic.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
If you want good beach weather September is the better choice since marine clouds hardly exist & the ocean temps are warmer than June. But like the others have mentioned, September can be brutal in LA esp inland. I live in Pasadena & people start getting real tired of summer heat when it just gets even hotter by September

Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
I'd pick June also. For the sightseeing, it will be more comfortable. You may luck out on a good beach day. September is fire and Santa Ana season.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,161,958 times
Too bad you can't come at the end of May. That would be better. This year's June gloom lasted all day long for a month, but this was unusual.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
Two things you can count on: 1.) gray, overcast skies with cooler temperatures in June and 2.) sunny skies with warm to hot temperatures in September. Take your pick.

I often here people complain when they come here in June because the warm, sunny California weather they expected did not show up.

Personally, I would choose September. Also, keep in mind, our heat is mostly dry heat not the heavy humid heat you experience in the South and East during the summer months.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Personally, I would choose September. Also, keep in mind, our heat is mostly dry heat not the heavy humid heat you experience in the South and East during the summer months.
Though there was humid heat for Labor Day this year if I recall. August is monsoon month and we get that humid moisture even if we don't get the monsoons themselves

Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
^^^ I lived in Houston, Washington, DC and Boston and what little moisture we get in the air here is NOTHING in comparison to the oppressive humidity you experience in cities in the Eastern and Southern regions of the country.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
The longer June Gloom lasts the happier I am. The shorter the summer heat and humidity, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles