Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,302 times

Advertisements

I actually lived all over the place including socal, but the last 4 years have been in nyc. The weather is really getting to me, even though it has gotten nicer. It's only a matter of time before it gets disgustingly humid, and then the winter all over again. This year it was cold for half the year! I can't help but think of going back to cali. Are there any nyc or east coast transplants that made the move out there? How was the transition and do you have any regrets? Im also tired of mass transit. I need some more space, sunshine, greenery, mountains, beaches, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
No Californian calls it "Cali."

Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Yup, moved out here about a decade ago. One of the best things I ever did. Now that Ive been here, I cant move back for much of the reasons you stated. The biggest out here is dealing with a huge population of Mexican gangs and some of the loitering from illegals, but if you stay in certain areas, you dont have to be around it that much.

Its not like NYC where the filth is unavoidable. After living here and comparing the 2, I cant help but think that people must be insane for moving to the Northeast or really suckered in by TV shows
Ive notice dthat most folks who to NYC from another place wanna leave inside of 6 years or sooner anyway

Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yeah true. I don't think L.A is the best place...but it seems NYC is much worse...bad weather and more expensive!

Not sure what keeps people there. It seems almost like a worse choice than L.A is.

L.A is a rat race...but NYC feels like even more of a rat race people just running around, looking even more miserable than in L.A . Sure some of them make a ton of money and can afford vacation homes elsewhere, but thats a very very tiny percentage..

I guess growing up in CA I don't really see the whole fascination with the Northeast or East Coast.

People say NYC/East Coast has culture...im not sure if I really understand that.. How does NYC have culture versus LA?

To OP sounds like you would like L.A better since you are "tired of mass transit. I need some more space, sunshine, greenery, mountains, beaches,"

Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
We moved out to LA about a year ago and so far I'm enjoying it. However, a big part of it is that we live near the beach in the South Bay, and my 3 mile commute to work takes around 10 minutes. I still miss NY a lot, but I would probably miss it a lot more if things were different.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,302 times
I wondered what the fascination was myself. Ive met a handful of california transplants that moved here on a whim without a job just to live here. Ive also met some that are dying to go back, mainly during the winter time. I definitely think it's easier to adjust for a person moving from ny to la. I love NY but only in small doses, but living here is draining. Or maybe im getting old? lol

Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,033 times
i wouldn't call myself an "NYC transplant" but i lived in LA, then to NYC and then back to LA in december after 3 yrs in NYC.

i like both cities very much, but i think ultimately it comes down to the person. most ppl that i've met who lived in both cities typically love one and hate the other.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
They definitely have their pros and cons. I love walking along the beach every week, but I miss being able to walk two blocks to the supermarket. I like the ease of parking, but miss the convenience of public transportation. I enjoy the relaxing pace of LA, but miss the energy of New York.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
I actually lived all over the place including socal, but the last 4 years have been in nyc. The weather is really getting to me, even though it has gotten nicer. It's only a matter of time before it gets disgustingly humid, and then the winter all over again. This year it was cold for half the year! I can't help but think of going back to cali. Are there any nyc or east coast transplants that made the move out there? How was the transition and do you have any regrets? Im also tired of mass transit. I need some more space, sunshine, greenery, mountains, beaches, etc.
NYC's mass transit is actually one of the great benefits of living in NYC as one doesn't have to drive everywhere. But nothing beats Southern California weather.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah true. I don't think L.A is the best place...but it seems NYC is much worse...bad weather and more expensive!

Not sure what keeps people there. It seems almost like a worse choice than L.A is.

L.A is a rat race...but NYC feels like even more of a rat race people just running around, looking even more miserable than in L.A . Sure some of them make a ton of money and can afford vacation homes elsewhere, but thats a very very tiny percentage..

I guess growing up in CA I don't really see the whole fascination with the Northeast or East Coast.

People say NYC/East Coast has culture...im not sure if I really understand that.. How does NYC have culture versus LA?

To OP sounds like you would like L.A better since you are "tired of mass transit. I need some more space, sunshine, greenery, mountains, beaches,"
Come on, really? There is much about to NYC to like. NYC is a better choice for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles