Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 AM

339 posts, read 777,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Is not Garcetti a union stooge as well? For example, he was a big supporter of the DROP program that allows LAPD officers to draw a pension and a salary simultaneously. And, wasn't he the one who claimed a study showed that the DROP program saves the City of L.A. money, when in actuality there was never any such study?
It's my understanding that the DROP program does not allow an LAPD officer to draw a salary and pension benefits simultaneously. The City Clerk's office has copies of the latest study of DROP available. It states that the city made over $13,000,000 last year from the DROP program.

Although I live in Garcetti's district, I'm voting for Wendy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:32 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
It's my understanding that the DROP program does not allow an LAPD officer to draw a salary and pension benefits simultaneously. The City Clerk's office has copies of the latest study of DROP available. It states that the city made over $13,000,000 last year from the DROP program.
The city made $13 million last year from paying out pensions 5 years before actual retirement?!

*ahem*

Is that you, Patrolman?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM

293 posts, read 893,641 times
Talking What the!?! I didn't know it was today...

I will vote for whoever the next poster in this thread recommends.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mysterious View Post
I will vote for whoever the next poster in this thread recommends.

For $10, I'll vote for anyone you want.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Is not Garcetti a union stooge as well? For example, he was a big supporter of the DROP program that allows LAPD officers to draw a pension and a salary simultaneously. And, wasn't he the one who claimed a study showed that the DROP program saves the City of L.A. money, when in actuality there was never any such study?
Correct.

However Wendy Gruels campaign was financed to the tune of millions by the Police Protective League(represents LAPD and has some of the highest paid officers in the country) and also DWP unions. Equivalent DWP employees currently make appx 20% more than their city employeed counterparts doing the same exact job.

So as was said earlier, lesser of two evils.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Garcetti, for reasons mentioned above.

Anyone in District 13? This Choi vs. O'Farrell campaign is so disgusting. Every day for the last two weeks I have received 2 flyers for Choi, the vast majority running a smear campaign against O'Farrell.

Both candidates have filed complaints that the other cheated and is stealing votes.

Both candidates constantly call my cell phone... I mean every single day.

So, I hope their campaign offices burn to the ground and neither of them win. They both seem like self-interested A-holes.

Also I am voting for Measure D - the MMJ ordinance that basically allows 135 dispensaries in the city.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I hope the Measure D passes, the city let the whole MMJ issue get out of hand with many areas having multiple dispensaries PER BLOCK. It's obviously not regulalated at all. My local LAPD office actually 'busted' a store near me and felt they should be shut down, but they were only shut down a week. The head of narcotics said that it was frustrating for them because City Attorney refused to press charges. A lot of these shops really cheapen the area. It seems measure D is likely to pass...I don't think most voters want to have 1000s of potshops in the city. It's embarrasing the city let it get so out of hand. I support medical mj use but it's obvious a huge percentage of these shops are making the majority of their money from recreational users.

The whole system doesn't seem to run effectively and one generally gets the run around. "No building and safety handles that"...speak to building and safety "No, XYZ dept handles that". 311 helps to a degree, but it has a long way to go..plus the cut off time when they stop answering is like 5pm or something and they don't 'open' until 8am or so....makes it hard to contact the city when if you WORK for a living.

The city can use technology in ways to make things easier , the city websites are really outdated and not too functional. It seem Garcetti wants to do something about this which would be good.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I hope the Measure D passes, the city let the whole MMJ issue get out of hand with many areas having multiple dispensaries PER BLOCK. It's obviously not regulalated at all. My local LAPD office actually 'busted' a store near me and felt they should be shut down, but they were only shut down a week. The head of narcotics said that it was frustrating for them because City Attorney refused to press charges. A lot of these shops really cheapen the area. It seems measure D is likely to pass...I don't think most voters want to have 1000s of potshops in the city. It's embarrasing the city let it get so out of hand. I support medical mj use but it's obvious a huge percentage of these shops are making the majority of their money from recreational users.

The whole system doesn't seem to run effectively and one generally gets the run around. "No building and safety handles that"...speak to building and safety "No, XYZ dept handles that". 311 helps to a degree, but it has a long way to go..plus the cut off time when they stop answering is like 5pm or something and they don't 'open' until 8am or so....makes it hard to contact the city when if you WORK for a living.

The city can use technology in ways to make things easier , the city websites are really outdated and not too functional. It seem Garcetti wants to do something about this which would be good.
Yeah, it'd be nice to have some regulation and spacing between the shops. I don't think having a few visible shops around the city is all that embarrassing - I mean it is LA, the city has a reputation to uphold . But the level it is at right now is out of hand - for example, on Selma between Wilcox and Gower (~.5 miles) there are something like 10 dispensaries. If anything that is just asking to **** off the anti-MMJ advocates.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 AM

339 posts, read 777,916 times
Quote:
The city made $13 million last year from paying out pensions 5 years before actual retirement?!

*ahem*

Is that you, Patrolman?
No, it's not. Hey, I'm just telling you what the city clerk told me. Whether it's fact or fiction, I'm just as curious as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles