Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I've been living in Burbank for a year and I felt very safe the whole time. Moving to a bigger place with some other guys and we're shopping around but there isn't a whole lot in our price range and the areas we're looking at. We found a place and we really like the house, and we think we're going to get approved, but now we're seeing that it may be a sketchy area.

We hear north of Sherman Way is bad news with Thai/Spanish gangs and the like. On crimemapping we saw that within a few blocks of our place there's been a good amount of car jackings/car break-ins/assault/etc. over the past few months. But nothing on our specific street/culdesac. Contrarily, crimemapping my place in Burbank shows crime in our immediate area as well but I've never felt threatened in my year living here.

I just want to know if we should go ahead and live in this house or if it's really an area to worry about. We're going to need to make a decision in the next 24-48 hours so any responses would be majorly helpful

https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=of...ed=0CC0Q8gEwAA

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
that address is on the border of panorama city, and i've never heard anything but really bad things about that neighborhood.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Honestly probably nothing will happen, but that's not the greatest part of the Valley. Completely different from Burbank.

I can actually just about guarantee that if you have to park on the street, your car will get broken into sometime in the next few years. It's just way too common in areas like that.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM

199 posts, read 400,522 times
The bars on your neighbors' windows should give you a good indication of what to expect there.

Let us know what you decided.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM

121 posts, read 240,319 times
I actually worked in Panorama City for a while.

Coming from Burbank that area will be a huge culture shock.

It says No Ho, but you are so close to the border of Panorama City that I would avoid. It is not high in violent crime but I do recall a ton of property crime. (as someone else noted see bars on windows?).

The area is OK, but is highly hispanic and lower income - for what it's worth. I don't know you, but unless you grew up in Sylmar/Panorama City, Arleta, Pacoima, etc.... I would avoid.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I live pretty close to this area. I don't feel the area is too great . I'm sure there are much worse parts of L.A and L.A county, but in general it's not really a desirable area. I've been here for about 3 years now , and 2 years in my house was burglarized. I know it happens everywhere, but I lived in L.A with family forever and it never happened to one of our houses.

My neighbors have been nice and they are pretty much decent Hispanic families for the most part. It's just the area is really neglected and a lot of stuff is allowed to happen that would never happen in other areas. I think I have more of a problem with the runned down nature of things rather than the criminal element. But those things seem to go hand and hand..runned down usually means higher crime.

There are a lot of thai restaurants on Sherman way but I haven't really explored those too much. The general area just has a pretty run down feel like nobody cares much. Kind of a depressing feel to it.

Burbank is many times better than this area. I personally don't feel comfortable walking around this area myself...plus there isn't really much to walk to . If you are used to Burbank it will be a big change.

I work on the Westside and used to live there as well...so I can clearly see the differences between these two areas. There is definitely a lot of inequality.

It sounds dumb to people that take it for granted...but it's kind of sad when you can't just take a walk and get a coffee somewhere that's not a gas station..or grab a decent sandwich without driving 5 miles. I guess that's just something for the 'well to do' areas in L.A...you gotta live where the houses are 500k+ for that .

People seem to be paying crazy prices again for real estate in L.A despite the area...so I'm hoping that I can sell my place for a profit and move somewhere decent.

If you are renting and sharing a house ...there should not be a ton of different in price to live in a better area I would think.

Last edited by jm1982; 07-15-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
To the OP, don't ignore the many forums. If I were to over simplify, there are really 2 North Hollywoods. The far north and just north. Doesn't make sense to say South North Hollywood. Sounds indecisive.

As a rule of thumb (especially if you don't want culture shock coming from Burbank), stay south of Victory, but really south of Oxnard is a better marker.

What is your price cap? I have noticed both home prices and home rental prices are going through the roof. Living in NoHo (south), there are a couple homes nearby renting for mid to high $2K's. I guess people are making more nowadays? Riiiiiiiight.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
If this fits your budget, this is a much better location and right in the heart of NoHo. Not sure if you can make 2 Bedrooms work though.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...926233447.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles