Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 AM

5 posts, read 31,464 times

Advertisements

im 25 and i have 3000 dollars in my savings and i am moving out of my mothers house on monday, i need advice on what to do to get on my feet before i land a job...

i have a degree from a good school and should be working VERY soon...any advice on what to do before i get one...i can't live another day here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsra View Post
im 25 and i have 3000 dollars in my savings and i am moving out of my mothers house on monday, i need advice on what to do to get on my feet before i land a job...

i have a degree from a good school and should be working VERY soon...any advice on what to do before i get one...i can't live another day here....
You will not like what I am going to say, but I will say it anyway: With $3000 and no job what are you thinking? That $3000 will be gone just on a rental deposit and a very other things. Stay where you are until you have the job...There is no other answer unless you plan on living on the street until you get the job. BTW, I don't really think you needed me to tell your this.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
3 grand just isn't going to cut it. At 25 I hope you know what you're doing.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:00 AM

103 posts, read 167,619 times
I agree; $3k is nothing here. I spent more than that on gas to get here from TX, down payment, and first month's rent on my 600 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in long beach.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:53 AM

296 posts, read 625,452 times
OP, you don't say whether you're a local or not, or even if you live in CA. Trust me, you will need more than $3k for your move. It's not like in the dinosaur age when I moved from LA to SF 20 yrs ago, when I had about as much as you had back then.

Try to buckle down and plan carefully, not hastily.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Even with a job it's still hard to live on your own. Big cities will suck your soul when you least expect..

Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 PM

391 posts, read 753,348 times
Don't listen to these other jerkoffs (no offense). Don't be scared just because you only got 3000 dollars.
You can make it anyway. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll be out of money...so what? Buckle up with a month supply of cheap food from 99 cents store and you'll done fine.

First of all..have you been to LA before? What area did you like?

I'd recommend Santa Monica or someplace on the West Side. Hollywood is good too if you like going out meeting ladies.

On $3k you could find a room and share your apartment with a roomate, and in that manner, save yourself from the deposit. For $700-800 you could find a great location in Santa Monica. With food (pasta etc), that means your money would last you about two months.

Just make sure that you find a job within the first month, and you're all set. Finding a job ain't that hard..companies are ALWAYS looking for hungry salesmen. Maybe you could start out selling door-to-door...that's what I did. After a couple of months, I was making $5,000/month on it...and in the process, I learned a TON.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:30 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Don't listen to these other jerkoffs (no offense). Don't be scared just because you only got 3000 dollars.
You can make it anyway. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll be out of money...so what? Buckle up with a month supply of cheap food from 99 cents store and you'll done fine.

First of all..have you been to LA before? What area did you like?

I'd recommend Santa Monica or someplace on the West Side. Hollywood is good too if you like going out meeting ladies.

On $3k you could find a room and share your apartment with a roomate, and in that manner, save yourself from the deposit. For $700-800 you could find a great location in Santa Monica. With food (pasta etc), that means your money would last you about two months.

Just make sure that you find a job within the first month, and you're all set. Finding a job ain't that hard..companies are ALWAYS looking for hungry salesmen. Maybe you could start out selling door-to-door...that's what I did. After a couple of months, I was making $5,000/month on it...and in the process, I learned a TON.
Wow. Way to dismiss us by calling us jerkoffs? Seriously, the OP will run through that money faster than he thinks. It never works out the way you describe.

But we don't have more info from the OP, anyway. If they are in an abusive situation, what their plan is besides just getting to LA, etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Lol I suggest you better learn to get along with the parents. 3 k and no job will get you nothing. You wouldn't qualify for a lease. Not trying to be a dick but WTF are you thinking? Get a job first and work there for a while save some more money to have a rainy day cushion then move out when you are financially stable .
Right now I estimate you can live away from home for about 2 months and that's if you rent a room from someone
You will need food, gas, insurance, 1/2 the utilities if not in room rent, not to mention any possible vehicle repairs.

Without a job to replenish the wallet you ill blow through 3k in no time. If you had job it may work out better.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 PM

391 posts, read 753,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Wow. Way to dismiss us by calling us jerkoffs? Seriously, the OP will run through that money faster than he thinks. It never works out the way you describe.

But we don't have more info from the OP, anyway. If they are in an abusive situation, what their plan is besides just getting to LA, etc.
I was just joking dude, please forgive my dark sense of humor.

I agree that most of the time, the money is going to run out faster than first planned. Especially when moving or going someplace they've never been before.

But if he really makes a budget and STICKS to it, he could live two months on $3000...possibly, he could manage 3 months. It all depends on OP's ability to spend money wisely.

If he's up for the task, he could also settle in a shadier area like south Downtown. If so, he could survive longer.

OP: Have you thought about moving out of the country? 3k could get you pretty far in the Philippines.
I know a guy who bought a land and built a house, all for $6000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles