Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 9,072 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving to Los Angeles in September for a new job I was offered, so YES, I'm coming with a job lined up, none of the living month to month hoping to find a job! I have $7,000 in savings plus will be selling most of my things with the exception of clothes, small things, and some artwork which I will have shipped...basically taking what fits in the car and a couple of boxes I will have shipped, therefore I will have more money in my pocket in addition to what I already have saved, granted I'll be able to save a little more before I leave. I will also be bringing my dog. I was just wondering how it is around the Silver Lake area for a single girl and whether $8,000ish will be enough to start me off, remember, I have a job lined up and will start working pretty much right away. I don't have a lot of bills, car is paid off, just really phone bill, car insurance, the basics...I really only want a studio apartment, one bedroom maximum, trying the whole minimalist lifestyle. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
How much are you willing to pay per a month of rent?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
How much are you willing to pay per a month of rent?
With what I'll be making, between $1,000 and $1,600....figuring closer to $1,600 but if I can get lucky and find something cheaper that I like I'll take that ...I'm trying to have a more realistic approach rather than the "dream"...I would hope that would find me a decent studio

Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
I'm on the search too and have the exact attitude in regards to being a minimalist. I notice decent older studios starts around 1200 in Los Angeles, brand new places start around 1600+. Parking may be extra. Hope it is not a huge dogs, there might be weight limitations at some places.

Expect about 1 month rent for deposit, 2-3k for new furniture, 300 pet fees, 50-100 application fee.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
I'm on the search too and have the exact attitude in regards to being a minimalist. I notice decent older studios starts around 1200 in Los Angeles, brand new places start around 1600+. Parking may be extra. Hope it is not a huge dogs, there might be weight limitations at some places.

Expect about 1 month rent for deposit, 2-3k for new furniture, 300 pet fees, 50-100 application fee.
I figure I'll keep my furniture budget to a minimum, try to stay under 2k, (Ikea and second hand stores are my best friends!) I don't need much ...I do have a large dog, which will be an obstacle. But where I go, she goes! Ha. Good luck on your search!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennadelrey View Post
I figure I'll keep my furniture budget to a minimum, try to stay under 2k, I don't need much ...I do have a large dog, which will be an obstacle. But where I go, she goes! Ha. Good luck on your search!
Having a dog will definitely make the apartment search harder, though.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Having a dog will definitely make the apartment search harder, though.
I've noticed when looking, but I realize that's something I have to consider, will just keep looking. Have had her for 6 years so she comes regardless lol

Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 PM

135 posts, read 285,179 times
Try calling Wawanesa for auto insurance. They are normally SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the big boys (Geico, AllState, etc.) as long as you have a clean driving record.

I don't know Silverlake rent well but I would think you could probably find a 1br/studio for somewhere around the $1000 range (of course, more $ will get you a nicer place). Being a single girl, look for an apartment with a good security gate at the front. (In L.A. a good number of apartments do, but there are still some that don't.) Feeling safe is worth a bit of $$.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Why not look for a house to share with a yard for the dog? Or a guest house type thing at least. Honest to god I can't imagine being a large dog stuck in a small studio apartment...can barley image it as an average sized human. That said, find someplace as close to your job as possible so you can make trips home if need be. My daughter lives with a dog in a house share situation (her roommate has the dog, not her) and there has been problems when the dog is alone too long. Luckily the roommate has a lot of flexibility and can be home to take the dog out regularly during the day. They have a yard.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why not look for a house to share with a yard for the dog? Or a guest house type thing at least. Honest to god I can't imagine being a large dog stuck in a small studio apartment...can barley image it as an average sized human. That said, find someplace as close to your job as possible so you can make trips home if need be. My daughter lives with a dog in a house share situation (her roommate has the dog, not her) and there has been problems when the dog is alone too long. Luckily the roommate has a lot of flexibility and can be home to take the dog out regularly during the day. They have a yard.
I've thought about that, when I first got her, she was a rescue that I found, I lived in a small one bedroom which was fine, granted the complex had a huge grassy area, I would have to find something like that! Just gonna see what I can find, the sharing idea sounds good though, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: